Pizza dough w/Wild Yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza dough w/Wild Yeast

Is anyone using wild yeast for their pizza dough instead of instant? If so, how does it compare to the latter? Are you using all 00 flour, or a mix? Thanks!
    Oven Progress
    Bread Photos
    Oven Stand Thread

Re: Pizza dough w/Wild Yeast

Take a look at Mike Avery's site.
    detailed info, etc.
    wwwsourdoughcom
    Dave...

Comment

I have been exclusively using wild yeast for a few years now (together with Caputo Pizzeria a bit of salt and bottled water) and believe it creates a much better flavour profile than instant yeast

Comment

I just switched to Caputo 00 pizzeria flour
        from Guisto's unbleached organic
        using wild yeast
        and WOW!
        it really makes a great pizza dough

Comment

As happy as I am that Dave Champion pointed to my web page, it'd have been even better if he'd gotten the url right.

It seems that I am not senior enough here to post links, so I'll try weaseling around that restriction. Try sourdoughhome.com

Mike

Comment

Here ya go!

Sourdough Home - A Exploration of Sourdough

Looks great.
            I'm gonna give it a read.

Thanks!

Dave
            My thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
            My costs:
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
            My pics:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

The following recipe makes and excellent dough with wild yeast:

Flour (Caputo Pizzeria 00): 1650 gr.
              Water: 1000 gr:
              Salt : 45 gr
              Starter (MUST be active) : 50 gr

Start your mixer. The slower the speed, the better. I use a breadmachine with a separate (slow) dough mixing cycle, just for kneading. It is important not to heat up the dough.
              Mix the salt in with the water and make sure it is fully dissolved. Add the starter.
              Add about 75% of the flour. Let it mix for a few minutes. Then slowly add a little bit of the flour at a time, until you have used it all up. After a total mixing time of about 15 minutes, turn of the mixer and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
              Turn the mixer back on for about 30-60 seconds. Switch off and take the dough out to bulk ferment for 15 hours at 68F (room temperature).
              Then you can divide the dough and ball it up. Ferment for another 3 hours at 68F.
              Shape, top and bake.

Couple of key points here are:
              1. the relatively small amount of starter
              2. fermentation at room temperature.

This recipe (with some minor alterations) was courtesy of "pizzanapoletana" from the pizzamaking.com forum, who is one of the most knowledgeable people on Neapolitan pizza.

Comment

Thanks for the recipe! What size balls is this divided into? The recipe looks a lot larger than I can use, so I'd like to cut it. By how much, I'm not so sure.

Originally posted by KiwiPete View Post
                The following recipe makes and excellent dough with wild yeast:

Flour (Caputo Pizzeria 00): 1650 gr.
                Water: 1000 gr:
                Salt : 45 gr
                Starter (MUST be active) : 50 gr

Start your mixer. The slower the speed, the better. I use a breadmachine with a separate (slow) dough mixing cycle, just for kneading. It is important not to heat up the dough.
                Mix the salt in with the water and make sure it is fully dissolved. Add the starter.
                Add about 75% of the flour. Let it mix for a few minutes. Then slowly add a little bit of the flour at a time, until you have used it all up. After a total mixing time of about 15 minutes, turn of the mixer and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
                Turn the mixer back on for about 30-60 seconds. Switch off and take the dough out to bulk ferment for 15 hours at 68F (room temperature).
                Then you can divide the dough and ball it up. Ferment for another 3 hours at 68F.
                Shape, top and bake.

Couple of key points here are:
                1. the relatively small amount of starter
                2. fermentation at room temperature.

This recipe (with some minor alterations) was courtesy of "pizzanapoletana" from the pizzamaking.com forum, who is one of the most knowledgeable people on Neapolitan pizza.
                Oven Progress
                Bread Photos
                Oven Stand Thread

Comment

This makes 10 balls of dough of about 275 grs. They will stretch to about 11 to 12 inches.

So to scale it down: divide everything by 10 to make 1 pizza. Then multiply by the number of pizzas you want to make.

A good digital scale is recommended.

Comment

Working...
                  X