Soggy crust with San Marzano's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soggy crust with San Marzano's?

I'm such a mess in the kitchen, sometimes I try to cut back on the number things that need to washed at the end of the evening. If you just pull the tomatoes out by hand and leave the juice behind -- you don't have to clean the sieve. :-)
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
      Dave,

That makes sense to me. I've said this before -- I think the modern diet trains kids to like the prepared foods (with salt, sugar and preservatives). I think their tastebuds get de-sensitized. :-)

We try to get our daughters accustomed to whole foods, but it can be an uphill battle. Every once in a while we have something that I think tastes really artificial and the kids just love it.

James
      That makes sense James. Plus when I was a kid, I was never a big fan of tomatos.... but tomato based sauces were great!
      My thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
      My costs:
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
      My pics:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
        Thanks for the lead on the tomatoes Roberto. I wonder if they carry those in Kentucky? I'll have to check their website.

OK. Let me make sure I got it:

New Jersey crushed tomatoes - strained.
        Bloody Mary while cooking pizza.

GOT IT!
        (I learn so much useful stuff here )
        No need to strain the Sclafani Crushed,
        and yes alcohol always helps when cooking!

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post

So what did you think about them? Did you like the pizza better with the San M.'s or with regular sauce?
          I did like the San M sauce. The older kids liked the pizza as well. Our finicky 11 year old daughter thought it was one of our better pizzas so it must have been pretty good!

I'm going to look around in some of the specialty stores and markets in town and try some other types of canned tomatoes as well.
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I find San M's to be the best flavor! I opened the top of the can by making two, three inch openings opposite each other with a hand crank can opener. then I poured out some of the water into a bowl while gently tipping the can back and forth. Then I opened the top the rest of the way and mashed them with a potato masher. I got enough for 5 pizzas out of the can. YUMMY!! I personally like a smoother tomato, but the small chunks were very tasty!
            View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

I cook my sauce so after the onions and garlic are done I pour the juice in and let it simmer down, then add the crushed Marzanos.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                I cook my sauce so after the onions and garlic are done I pour the juice in and let it simmer down, then add the crushed Marzanos.
                Good tip for sure! A little tomato deglazing, how could that be bad.

Comment

trying my san marzanos tmw...

what I usually do with caned toms is just simmer tslowlly till they reduce and thicken to the right consistency then let them go cold...

Comment

Working...
                  X