Kitchen Aid - 1 kg flour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kitchen Aid - 1 kg flour

154 lb? :shocked: I'd need a forklift to get it onto the counter!

Out of curiosity, how much bread do you guys make that y'all need such big mixers? Granted all my experience is in the kitchen oven but I've baked for 150 people and didn't see the need of using a mixer. I'm just curious - maybe you're baking more in a given bake?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

For me the idea is getting the job done quickly and efficiently and not killing the machine. The KA isn't up to it really so the next best thing is a Monster Truck equivalent of a mixer!! Aaaaaah the power!!!!

I normally bake for just 2 though my wife has announced that she is a bit tired of all the pizzas ... hmmmm..

The most I have cooked for at one time is about 22 and I work on 1 pizza per person so a big machine will be quite useful in those cases (and only costs a bit more than a KA!!).

Rossco
      / Rossco

Comment

Ah, I wasn't thinking about pizza parties. I had bread in mind. For pizza you'd need a lot more dough pre-prepped whereas I can prep as I bake (for large bakes, obviously).

Thanks, that makes more sense now.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by heliman View Post
          Any report on this beast's performance Himzo? I did give the seller a call last week and he said that more were coming in in a few weeks time (shipping to Perth was about $150 I think). Still a good deal though.

I will wait for your feedback before I make a move.

Rossco
          It was fired up in anger for the first time last Wednesday, it was used to make pasta dough.. and the official response is "it cranks ".. The amount made was what my other half would normaly make with her KA, except she didn't need to do it in three lots..all up just over a kilo. She has decided that it will be 2 kilos next time...

154 lb? :shocked: I'd need a forklift to get it onto the counter!

Out of curiosity, how much bread do you guys make that y'all need such big mixers? Granted all my experience is in the kitchen oven but I've baked for 150 people and didn't see the need of using a mixer. I'm just curious - maybe you're baking more in a given bake?
          No bread as yet, but lots of home made pasta..and I did chuckle when I took it home and and was told "just put it on the counter"..she hadn't seen it upto this point.

Needless to say, I left it on the floor. I will need to build a stand for it though...

Himzo.

Comment

Update on this one ...

I cranked up about 1.120 kg of dough this evening (for 4 x pizzas) and the KA handled it pretty well. Had to be careful that the paddle didn't through the flour out but once it was mixed it pretty much purred along. What was most interesting was that had been making 1/2 that amount in the past to experiment and the KA wasn't actually kneading the dough correctly. What it was doing was grabbing the dough in the mixer and swinging it areound without actually doing any kneading. There was the occasional slapping sound which gave the impression that it was kneading when actually it wasn't. Someone suggested that I increase the amount of dough in the batch ... and the results were that the gluten was correctly developed.

Great to know that, surprisingly, the KA is up to the job after all. It should be run on low speed only though and no more than 4 x balls worth (which is plenty for my normal needs anyway).

Rossco
            Last edited by heliman; 11-27-2009, 10:16 PM.
            / Rossco

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but...

I know the OP was talking about the KA Artisan mixer. I've got a Pro 600 that I believe lacks the plastic cog, and I mixed and kneaded 2 kg of bread on Friday night. No trouble at all. I routinely make 1 kg of pizza dough in it too, and I roll pasta with the pasta roller and grind stuff with the grinder. Yes, if I need more than 2 kg of dough I have to do multiple batches. But I've NEVER heard the gears strain on a simple dough.

When I first bought the thing, the manual said to never knead dough with the spiral hook on anything past speed 2. I never have, and I haven't blown up my mixer. Apart from the coffee machine, it's the most used appliance in the kitchen. So it CAN be done.

Now, if I needed to mix 5kg of dough at a time, that's an entirely different story...

Different strokes (and mixers!),
              Stan

Comment

Hi Stan - the KA I was referring to is the basic one that is designed for home use. It was a 300 watt motor and uses a small C dough hook...

Your one is quite a bit larger and definitely more robust.

Rossco
                / Rossco

Comment

Hey Himzo - how is that new machine of yours going? Is it giving good results??

Rossco
                  / Rossco

Comment

Originally posted by heliman View Post
                    Hey Himzo - how is that new machine of yours going? Is it giving good results??

Rossco
                    Hi Rossco,

working like a dream, 2kg of pasta dough in minutes.. I do have to make a stand for it as it's too tall to put on the kitchen benches.. probably about 600mm high stand would do the trick.
                    The other half just loves it, saves her heaps of time and she isn't thrashing the KA which she still uses for other mixing requirements.

Himzo.

Comment

Good news Himzo ....tks for the update.

I see your supplier has a "screw" type model for making dough as well. Going at $1,200 it's a bit more expensive, but certainly worth considering. I'm keeping an eye open for a 2nd hand mixer at the moment as there seem to be quite a few offered for sale.

One thing that I have realised is that the standard KA which I have (with the short C shaped dough hook) doesn't do a proper job of kneading. I have loaded it with enough dough to make 4 x pizzas (about 1,066 kg) but still it flies around without kneading all the time.

I think that the only thing will be to relegate the KA to cake mixer duties and get something dedicated to dough production for my pizza needs.

Rossco
                      / Rossco

Comment

I think I'm going to try a redneck mixer - auger on a power drill in a pickle bucket. Black and Decker rules!

Maybe...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2031.gif
Views:	1
Size:	711 Bytes
ID:	278575

[/CENTER]

Comment

Hmmm..... No use of a pick-up truck.

-5 redneck points for that solution!

-------------------------------------------
                          My 2nd Build:
                          Is here

Comment

...auger on a power drill - powered by a pickup truck battery from a '78 Ford owned by a guy who's drunk momma had just got out of prison and was run over by a train, in the rain - in a pickle bucket.

You just can't please some people...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1992.gif
Views:	1
Size:	915 Bytes
ID:	278576

[/CENTER]

Comment

Beautiful!
                              -------------------------------------------
                              My 2nd Build:
                              Is here

Comment

This had a good outcome for me... picked up a bargain today!!!

Saw an advert in the local newspaper for a "cake mixer" so shot over to have a look during my lunch break. The guy basically just wanted to get rid of it as it was used commercially and they had upgraded to a larger model.

It came with 3 S/S bowls and a whisker (but not paddle and dough hook). It works fine but the casing has a crack which I will have a friend with an engineering shop repair for me tomorrow. Just pricing paddle and dough hook at the moment as the agent is a few doors down the road from where I work.

It is a Thunderbird ARM-02 with 3 speeds (price tag about $3,200 delivered): AllFoodEquipment.com.au - Thunderbird > PLANETARY MIXER - THUNDERBIRD Model: ARM02HBL - Domestic & Commercial Food Equipment Sales Australia Wide

What did I pay for it?? $100! Great Xmas present!! Pics to follow shortly.

Rossco

The
                                Last edited by heliman; 12-09-2009, 12:22 AM.
                                / Rossco

Comment

Working...
                                X