X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teresa44
    replied
    Re: Percentage question RE: Dough and the Yeast

Jed, thank-you so much for your response. Being new to the Forno Bravo ovens and this site, I did 1 batch of the e-book series pizza recipe, EXACTLY as written. And James says to use active dry yeast as the primary choice. I simply used tap-warm water, and didn't proof. It did come out very good, but not perfect. And I want more than just the 3-275 g balls it produces, so that's why I wanted to figure the percentages. But you say to use the instant yeast, yes? Yeast choice would effect the flavor and texture of the finished product if they are cold fermented, don't you agree? confusing. But instant yeast would be more convenient like you said.

And yes, I had other variables to note. I had to post another thrread immediately after this one, as this one wasn't up yet. I did refrigerate my dough balls for 3 hrs., and then brought to room temp for 1.

So I'm going over to my second thread to see what TexasSourdough has to say on the subject.
    and thanks again!
    Teresa

Leave a comment:

• Jed
    replied
    Re: Percentage question RE: Dough and the Yeast

Hi Teresa,

Let me weigh in here, and maybe the more experienced folks on this forum can correct any errors I might pass along....

Your percentages are correct.

I prefer a bit less on the salt; and adjust the amount of yeast up from the 3 gram measure based on the temperature I have available for the dough to raise and how much time I have until it's time to make pizza (we don't have a proofing box, and the temperature in our kitchen will vary a bit based on how much sun shine is coming in the window).

This volume of yeast is appropriate for a long slow raise on the dough- and the idea is to give the flour more time to develop flavor and effect the texture of the final dough.

And I think the formula is asking for "instant yeast" which is more effective than "active yeast". It is designed to be mixed with the flour dry. The instant yeast does not need to be "proofed". If you are using the active yeast, yes, do proof as part of the mixing process.

And yes, the yeast is temperature sensitive... as is the raising process. The part I know is that the temperature you use for every stage of the process will effect the final results (do you raise the bulk dough and the final dough balls at room temperature? or do you use a proofing box to increase the temperature for either of the raises? or do you refrigerate either one of the raises to delay the activity of the yeast?), and I don't have the experience to advise on what result to expect from any of these variables. Some of the folks on this forum regularly delay the process, to improve results, and to get the schedule for making pizza correct for the situation...

Gook luck with your experiments! And do keep us posted on your results.

JED

Leave a comment:

• teresa44
    started a topic Percentage question RE: Dough and the Yeast

Percentage question RE: Dough and the Yeast

Hi Pizza Lovers; I am trying to increase the master recipe used here in the Pizza E-book. They say to use 65% water, but no mention on the percentage calc. of the yeast or salt. Does .50 (1/2) percent yeast (given flour is 100 %) sound like too little? Should salt be 3 %? Original recipe calls for 500 g flour, 325 g water, 10-20 g salt, and 3g active dry yeast.

Other question is he does not mention anything about the temperature of the water. shouldn't the water be warm (100-110 degrees) if one is using active dry, and should it not be proofed?
    Thank-you so much if you can answer this for me!
    Teresa
Working...
X