X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dave_Adelaide_Build

Originally posted by Bert View Post
    Hi Dave

I noticed your using a lock block - besa block? I too am looking at using this type of block to speed things up, as I will be filling the blocks with concrete anyway. How did you find them? The result looks great.

Bert
    Hi Bert,

I used Boral Connex and found them extremely easy to use. Just draw out the external boundaries of your wall and then start laying. Use a straight edge to ensure the blocks are aligned and a level to ensure they are true. Check the diagonals after each course. If you are going to render the face then accuracy doesn't have to be to the n'th degree however it's always good to start with a flat/true surface.

One thing I did find is that the corner blocks were slightly taller than the middle blocks and therefore after four courses there was a 10mm dip along the top middle of each wall span. This doesn't really matter because when you pour your hearth it hides this dip. Boral suggests using packers/wedges but this is probably overkill if you are rendering the face.

The other thing to note is they are expensive.

Hope this helps

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
      I checked with Littlehampton when I built my Pompeii and they couldn't/wouldn't tell me their composition.
      They are also around $5 each although their seconds are more reasonably priced if they have them
      They sell far more of their 4" solid fired clay pavers to oven builders and that is the way I would go next time as they are fired at over twice the temp (1200˚C) that you are ever likely to get your oven.
      I suggest you contact Thermal Ceramics at 10-14 Toogood Avenue, BEVERLEY PARK, SA, 3305. They have most of what you need.

Neill
      Hi Neil,

Thanks for the heads up. I did call Littlehampton not that long ago and their standard fire bricks are now $6 each and $3.50 for seconds.

I've heard of a few people using solid clay pavers and haven't had any issues. I'm not going to be a professional baker but if I'm going to cut 4 sides of 150 bricks I want to make sure I use the right ones.

I'm sure the solid clays will do the job but I do recall someone saying that it is not just the temperature they were fired at but also the ability to retain heat and the continual heating and cooling that needs to be factored in.

As you have a beautiful WFO in place I will regard your recommendations highly.

I was trying to remember the company at Beverley (Thermal Ceramics) so thanks for their contact details.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Dave, to put your mind at ease,
        read Russell Jeavons' book, "Your brick oven, building it and baking in it" where he shows 5 of his ovens built with pavers and the old 'common red' bricks. He has 2 in his commercial pizza restauant down at Willunga if you want to take a look or see one here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/27/r...ia-1930-2.html

permalink #16

Cheers.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Bert,
          You can also use standard concrete blocks and use a masonry adhesive like Selleys liquid nails Landscape. Probably a lot cheaper, but you will have to use 8" blocks because the 6" corner blocks are made to factor in the 10mm mortar gap which you won't have with a glueing system.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Interested to here about using brick commons in a WFO
            I have a WFO of "lit duty firbricks" of which I'm completed happy with....
            But I am to help a mate in the bush to build an oven so i'm on the look out for any other ways of materials and construction as supply and materials are limited by his isolation. Even my time has a limit so we have to have a difinite plan before we start

Watching with interest
            Regards
            Cobbler dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_SA View Post
              Hi Bert,

The other thing to note is they are expensive.

Hope this helps

Dave
              Thanks Dave. I found a place that has them for $1.65 per block which I thought was fairly cheap. Delivery wasn't included so the price will probably push out.

Kind Reagrds Bert
              Fail to Prepare...Prepare to Fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                Thanks Dave. I found a place that has them for $1.65 per block which I thought was fairly cheap. Delivery wasn't included so the price will probably push out.

Kind Reagrds Bert
                we have std firebricks @ $3 each ex our Melbourne store.

Comment

Hi there, I don't know if you are still looking for fire bricks but I can recommend a mob at Findon. I bought my tapered firebricks from them as well as the bonding material. The Findon mob supply the funeral industry with fire bricks and were very helpful. They know the composition of their bricks and they can supply a variety of different degrees of tapered bricks-depending on the size of your dome - and I found the bonding material left very little gap between the bricks. They can also supply vermiculite, thermal blankets and when I bought my supplies they were very competitive, price wise. I tried Littlehampton and other ideas (like pavers) but eventually went with the 'right stuff'. I have never regretted it. Good luck.

Alphacon Industrial sales
                  PO Box 57
                  FINDON SA 5023
                  Tel: (08) 8353 4181 Fax: (08) 8355 5459
                  Email: info@alphaconsolidated.com.au

Ask for Frank Cavallaro.
                  Last edited by Wookie; 10-26-2011, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Hi Dave,
                    Dont know if it is to late for you, but try Salisbury Brick on Diment rd. They are shutting up shop and have pulled their fire bricks out of their kilm, selling them off very cheaply. Think they were citing the carbon tax for the reason for closing. Good on ya Julia! Hope they dont tax pizza ovens!

Comment

Originally posted by chukie View Post
                      Think they were citing the carbon tax for the reason for closing.
                      Which is not in place yet?
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                      X