Wood, wood and MORE Wood...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wood, wood and MORE Wood...

There is a bulk verge collection (green items) in the area and I came across an amazing stash of Red and White Gum, plus some Yellow Box. I have got about 2 years worth of wood stockpiled again - burning about 4 times per week at least. I tried to split the white gum today with a block splitter axe and it just bounced off. It is very green but should be ready in about 4 weeks time. Will need to get my 12T log splitter to sort it out. My brand new Stihl chainsaw also battled to cut it so I used an older 52cc one with a new chain. It struggled a bit but got through it OK>

In the foreground is the Red Gum - it was 40 year old so I was told by the person who planted it. Burns medium speed - no ash - and med/high temp. The White Gum is in the background waiting to be processed.
    Last edited by heliman; 05-05-2012, 08:36 AM.
    / Rossco

Comment

Originally posted by heliman View Post
      It is very green but should be ready in about 4 weeks time.
      If its green I really doubt it would be ready in 4 weeks?
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

When split and the weather is right I have used in 3 weeks from green in the past. I start the fire with dry wood and feed the newer logs in once its running smoothly. Actually, the slighly greener stuff tends to make better coals...
        / Rossco

Comment

When split and the weather is right I have used in 3 weeks from green in the past. I start the fire with dry wood and feed the newer logs in once its running smoothly. Actually, the slighly greener stuff tends to make better coals...
          Crikey, I've never had any success with that sort of time-frame, especially here in the cooler climate.
          I get (dry) wood from friends farms in my area, plus the state forest when allowed in, which is all green. This is split and stacked each year in rotating piles, but I wouldn't think about going near it unless it's been sitting for 12 months minimum.
          I tend to go through a bit, we have a wood heater in the loungeroom & a big double oven in the kitchen, plus the WFO all makes for a big pile of wood!
          Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

That looks like some really good quality wood - what sort is it?

I too use a rotating system and always use the super dry stuff to get things going. Once the oven has been running continuously for a few days the heat inside pretty much gets rid of any retained moisture and it burns perfectly well.

I have been experimenting with small batches that have been drying for various lengths of time to determine optimum time:moisture ratios. The 40c plus temperature days with dry climate in Perth, together with the positioning of my primary wood stack that gets all day sun and wind on it all aid the drying process..
            / Rossco

Comment

That looks like some really good quality wood - what sort is it?
              That's all red-gum heliman, I couldn't tell you the actual species as there's so many different ones, there's still an awful lot of it around here.

This load is just one of the limbs that had fallen off the bigger tree! the small stuff 2" - 4" dia is perfect for the WFO, usually dead for a long time being where it is on the tree, so very dry!
              Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Great - always much better when it's free isn't it!!!

Been splitting some of my newly acquired wood - very hard... even the hydraulic splitter hesitated at times...!!!
                / Rossco

Comment

Gudday
                  This little lot came from home ......the avocado bush was on its way to becoming the avocado tree, shading the neighbours vege garden and the fruit was to high off the ground to collect. So down she came. The stuff grows real fast so it I'll end up being a little lite but it'll burn just the same.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	advocardo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	289342
                  The branchs with the leaves still attach are in the chook pen they'll knock the leaves off those real quik and I'll put them in the mulch,the left over sticks will end up in the WFO as well.

Regards Dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

If you cut it green, generally you'll need to let it season for 12 months.Keep it for next year.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I remember cutting down green trees for firewood at boarding school. We ended up getting four cuts each on the arse (in the days when corporal punishment was the norm) we all wore three pairs of jeans each, didn't hurt a bit. The wood was really easy to cut and we ended up with half a woodshed full of firewood for the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                        I remember cutting down green trees for firewood at boarding school. We ended up getting four cuts each on the arse (in the days when corporal punishment was the norm) we all wore three pairs of jeans each, didn't hurt a bit. The wood was really easy to cut and we ended up with half a woodshed full of firewood for the winter.
                        Were you a teacher then too?
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                          Were you a teacher then too?
                          Ha, ha. No I was a student (1965). It was not a Catholic school.

Comment

Gudday Davids and Al
                            Recon (if its a dry winter like it should) this should be dry enough to be split in the spring and be "burnable" early summmer. If it doesn't happen" what the hec" least I don't get the cuts or cane .......wait a sec ....cane burns well dry or green.

Regards Dave
                            Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-07-2012, 03:45 AM.
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once
                            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                            My Door
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Lots of speculation going on around drying time of wood!

The reality is there are so many variables to contend with: type of wood, bark/no bark, size of split pieces, storage area, rainfall, average temperature, cloud cover, sun, humidity to name a few.

Fortunately in Perth many of those elements favourably influence the drying process.
                              / Rossco

Comment

Hi all,
                                I'm new to all this, have cooked in my oven only twice now....

I have been using peppermint gum which I cut up at the families farm in strathbogie. Has sat for over 12 months in the farm shed. It's seems to be fine but I have nothing to compare it too... Any thoughts?

Thanks
                                Marcus

Comment

Working...
                                X