What's Karangi Dude Cooking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oysters, Kilpatrick, Bechamel, Brie & Chives and Burnt Butter with Sage

Shuck fresh oysters (I use Sydney Rock Oysters out of the Nambucca River) drain excess juice and place on baking tray covered in about 12mm rock salt (salt slows down the high heat of the hearth and spreads the heat evenly around the oyster shells.
    Add your favorite toppings:

Kilpatrick;
    fresh smoked bacon and Worchestire sauce and freshly ground pepper.

Bechamel;
    make fresh bechamel sauce and add your own flavor eg: cheese or mustard.

Brie;
    slices of brie and sprinkle with diced chives.

Burnt Butter with Sage;
    make fresh sage butter and drizzle with a little lime juice.

Cook in the WFO until juices start to bubble about 2 to 3 mins.
    Temperature: Hearth; 380c Walls; 410c cook quickly to retain freshness and NOT dry out the oysters.
    Served with small salad of greens and toasted seasoned Turkish bread with a drizzle of olive oil.

Wine: Sparkling Chardonnay
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-11-2017, 04:35 PM.
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-48inch-oven

Comment

Gudday Doug
      Great to see somemore of your cooking its been a while, I have also tried oysters and find they cook great at the higher temps so they make a great starter before pizza

Click image for larger version  Name:	oysters.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	287713

Can't wait to try some of yours like the idea of the brie and the sage butter yummm
      That rocksalts the go had a few shells tip and lost a little of the great juices that will stop it

Regards Dave
      They should have a yummmm smilies face don't you think?
      Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-11-2017, 04:36 PM.
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Tony Gemignani Style Pizza Dough

I tried the Tony Gemignani method using Allied Mills Pizza Flour I convirted the percentages from the Video to metric it came down to;
        1000 gms Flour
        617 gms Water
        12 gms Salt
        3 gms Yeast (I use ADY)
        I mixed the dough in our Kenwood mixer for 10 mins on low so as not to create to much heat, I then turned out the dough onto the work bench kneeded for a minute or two then balled it up into 270gm balls put them in separate containers (I use those cheap take away ones) and put them in the fridge.
        I made the dough 7am Tursday morning put them in the fridge until Saturday afternoon and then let them warm up for a couple of hours before use.
        Total fermentation time about 58hrs cold 2 hrs warming up.
        I was pleasantly surprised this dough worked really well for a dough that only has 61.7 % hydration. After the balls wramed up the dough was silky and smooth very easy to form into shape and cooked beautifully almost got the leoparding that you so often talk about, My temps were about 420c and I had flames up the side of the oven.
        Taste was as good as I have made using the biga method, my Wife and Daughter certainly gave it the nod of approval.

Pizzas, the first was plain garlic (garlic and olive oil) the second classic margherita
        Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-11-2017, 04:36 PM.

Comment

High Tin Off White Sandwich Loaves

Allied Mills Superb Bakers Flour, Salt, Active Dry Yeast and Water.
          Made a poolish and main mix of 63% hydration baked at 220c in the fully equalised oven for 25mins until 90c inside temp.
          To cool I light the gas oven for just a minute or two then turn it off and place the loaves in the warm oven to slowly cool before slicing and freezing.
          Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-11-2017, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Blue Berry Muffins,

I used fresh blue berries but I put them in the freezer for a while until the were just starting to freeze this retards the cooking of the berries so they stay nice and plump.

Baked in fully equalised oven at 220c for 28mins
            Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-11-2017, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Standing Rack of Pork Roast and Morrocan Lamb Roast

Sweet pork ribs and lamb rump with Morrocan spice rub, cooked in the WFO (without fire) at 210c for an hour and 15mins note; the oven was fully equalised.

The crackling on the pork came out crunchy and the meat was nice and juicy.
              The Morrocan spices were very flavoursome and the meat was also juicy.

Served with baked sweet potato and steamed greens
              Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-11-2017, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Hi Doug

I tried your strawberry and brie cheese pizza the other night and I have to say it was a huge hit. I also added a handfull of blueberries and dusted with icing sugar before cooking to get some caramelisation and then dusted again before serving.

We served this with a 2008 Torbreck 'The Bothie', which is a non-sticky dessert wine that worked really well with the fruit.

Absolutely superb!
                Thanks.
                Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-11-2017, 04:40 PM.
                Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Big Breakfast for 10

Baked Tomatoes, halved tomatoes drizzled with olive oil and a sprinkle of Italian herbs

Grilled Bacon, slices of bacon spread onto a rack placed over a backing tray

Mushrooms, with fetta cheese, olive oil, basil pesto and chives

Lightly Poached Eggs, cacked eggs onto a none stick backing tray poured in half a cup of water cooked uncovered until just soft

Cooked bacon, eggs and mushrooms first and then cooked the eggs for a couple of minutes with the door on and just a few hot coals left over from the night before
                  Served on toasted light rye hearth bread

Cooking Temperature 240c
                  Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-11-2017, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Grilled Meats, Potato Gratin and Sweet Corn

Grilled Lamb Ribbs, Pork Ribbs and Chicken
                    Marinated the the meat for a couple of hours in lemon juice, olive oil, fresh herbs and garlic then layed them out on racks on a baking trays.

Potato Gratin, par boiled and thinly sliced Dutch Cream potatoes pan fried fresh Leak from our garden and arranged in layers in a baking dish with Italian herbs, goats cheese, fresh cream with a drissle of olive oil and a little chedar cheese.

Sweet Corn, picked strait from our garden still with the husk on.

Cooking Temp; about 280 / 300c
                    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-11-2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Christmas Sweet Pork (Middle Loin 14'' long) Rack

We had an early Cristmas last weekend my Son flew in from Western Australia his partner from Victoria my Daughter from Victoria and her partner from Queensland as they won't be hear for Christmas we had 4 days hear at Karangi NSW to catch up and celebrate Christmas.

For Sunday lunch I cooked a pork rack, potatoes and capsicum with olive oil and chives and my wife made a red and white cabbage salad.
                      Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-11-2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I let the fire die down put the rack of pork in for about 10mins then took out all the coals except one small piece about 6'' long, I left it there for a little smoke as it was still ''just'' burning.
                        Note how I put the tray off to one side as I had moved the fire off to the other side so the heat would not be so intence where I was cooking.
                        I cooked the rack uncovered with the door on (except for the first 10mins) for about 1.5hrs at about 220c
                        The potatoes went in about halfway they only needed about 40mins I spread them out on a heavy based tray and turned them a couple of times so as not to burn the bottom
                        Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-11-2017, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Chistmas Lunch

5kg Turkey butterflied and marinated with Cuban sour orange mojo marinade.
                          Cooked the turkey on a rack 500 x 360mm but had to use 2 trays 460 x 300 as I did not have a single tray big enough.
                          Marinated the flesh side of the turkey with the mojo marinade, cooked it skin down for 45mins and then turned it to brown up the skin side, cooked it until the internal temp of the thigh was 62c.
                          I left some ashes off to one side and put a small piece of spotted gum on the ashes for a little smokey flavour

Vegetables
                          Potato, zucchini, capsicum, eggplant, tomato, oregano, garlic, olive oil, salt, black pepper, tomato puree and water.

Seved with baked French shallots and cranberry gravy with Greek feta on the vegetables

Cooking time 1.5hrs
                          Temperature approx 240c

Wine; Sparkling Shiraz
                          Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-11-2017, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Re: Whats Cooking at Karangi Kitchen

Doug,

The food looks mouth watering.

Thanks,
                            Heidi

Comment

Doug,
                              If you have plenty try quartering then lengthwise and place them on a rack in the oven (warm only) and semi dry them. I usually sprinkle them with a little salt and sugar before placing them in the oven. Don't forget them though or they'll dry right up. They are the best semi dried tomatoes you've ever had.
                              Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-11-2017, 04:48 PM.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                                They are the best semi dried tomatoes you've ever had.
                                How do you store them afterwards?
                                I made some dried capsicums and put them in olive oil but the oil looks like its separating into blobs of something..
                                Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-11-2017, 04:48 PM.
                                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X