Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a paint/waterproofer for the dome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a paint/waterproofer for the dome?

I have rendered the dome and soon I will need to waterproof it and paint it as I don't want to stick with the render colour. What are people using for this?

Keep in mind that I have fired the oven several times and due to the insulation blankets I used the outside of the dome doesn't get any hotter than 40-50C degs so I don't need a product that can withstand high temps.

I would also like the product to fill any hair line cracks in the dome.

Cheers in advance for your suggestions.

Re: Suggestions for a paint/waterproofer for the dome?

Dan,
    I used an elastomeric paint which is commonly sold for painting trailers or roofs. It's a flexible acrylic based paint (white in color) which I tinted with the final color (also an acrylic based paint). Two coats of the stuff without tint, one coat with and two coats of the final paint. The coating so far has been great rain, snow, brushing with a scrub brush and soapy water (to remove pollen from alder trees...gets everywhere this time of year here) so far it has held up remarkably well and the color has not faded. It is supposedly stretchable so micro cracks should not be a problem. However, does still show soot staining over the entry.

Hope this helps,
    Wiley

Comment

Hi Dan

I finished my Pompei oven earlier this year and I finished off the dome and stand with Wattyl Solarguard. Easy to apply and very pleased with the finish.

I live is SA and my oven faces the west and reckon I will get more heat from the sun in summer than from the oven. I figured if the paint was OK for external use in Australia it would be fine for the dome.

No regrets with the paint I have chosen.

Good luck

Alan

Comment

A forum member recommended I use flexible pointer which is used on roofing and it has worked a treat. I was told to water it down a little (added about 20 water) so you can brush it on. Do about 3 coats. It's worked for me and can be bought at Bunnings for around $40.
        Hope that helps.

Comment

Gudday Oscar
          Could you use a brand name...I looked but couldn't find it

Regards Dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi Dave

Point Works? Gen II | Selleys Australia

That's the one I used and I got it from Bunnings.
            Just water it down by 20-25% and brush it on.

Comment

Any you guys having trouble with your render coatings (particularly painted) bubbling? On my first oven I used a sealer they use in waterproofing wet areas, which goes under floor tiling. Then I painted the solar guard paint on top of that. It bubbled in a few area after a few months, I figured it was internal moisture through winter.
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Regardless of the final coating, I would strongly recommend a vent of some kind at the top of the dome. You can get moisture build up and steam trapped in the insulation layer if you have a waterproof coating.

The vent on my current oven is simply a 1 inch diameter opening thru the stucco to the vermiclete layer. I then placed a copper plate loosely on top to prevent precipitation entering. I often get steam out of the vent for the first few firings in the spring.

Comment

I agree Neil a vent is a good idea to eliminate moisture. I have also got a vent on my oven, but it is incorporated in the surrounding support for the bottom of the flue pipe.Although you can waterproof the outside, after a couple of months of deluge, the porous refractory and insulation are bound to get damp, even from the 100% humidity in the air.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Gudday
                    Thanks Davids and Neil 2 I have come to the same conclusion you just can't keep moisture out of an oven in extreme conditions. The bricks and mortar naturally just take in moisture from the air. I have fitted a vent 4 in vent cap to top of the dome in a effort to allow this moisture an escape route. I will have to fill in a largish crack between the dome and chimney with paintable silastic then give Oscars flexable tile mortar a go.( thanks Oscar)

Click image for larger version

Name:	breather.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	289407
                    Recon it will need a coat of paint it looks a little "stark"

Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Just wondering if anyone has used swimming pool render, it seems to be flexible comes in cools colour and is waterproof? Oh yes it can take temps of at least 40deg C. As is used in spas.
                      Cheers,
                      Rosemary

My build so far
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ish-19084.html

Starting out collecting info and materials
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/h...lia-18943.html

Comment

You might be on to something there. That swimming pool stuff should be very strong. Pebblecrete I think it's called. Just beware that it will also trap moisture beneath it because it's waterproof so you must eliminate the moisture from the oven before applying it.

Comment

Hi Guys

FB is just a wealth of oven information and this is a topic i have wanted to see for a while from those without constructions aroudn their ovens. I'm no where near this stage but thought i would ask anyway especailly since Pebble crete has been mentioned in this thread thanks for that SpottedFrog.

I wish to finish my dome with a 5 mm layer [ over the render layer ], so that it looks like Granite Rock. This will then tie into the rest of the garden. I have been researching this now for at least 2 months and haven't got very far. The Granite is a light grey with blacks flecks through it. Has anybody tried anything like this or come across a pebblecrete along these lines.
                          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Because the outer shell of an igloo oven gets pretty dirty from occasional soot falling from the chimney cap, weather and bird and flying fox poo, I find it easier to just repaint the thing every 12 months or so.
                            Last edited by david s; 02-07-2013, 07:51 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Hi Guys,
                              I am collecting materials at the moment and have been reading lots of posts. Great forum, my first in fact. Colin there are a few different types of pool render. I have heard of the pebblecrete and one called Qpebble????
                              Abou the venting for moisture
                              Cheers,
                              Rosemary

My build so far
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ish-19084.html

Starting out collecting info and materials
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/h...lia-18943.html

Comment

Working...
                              X