Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven Build in Adelaide

Hi Dave and Al,

Thanks for the comments. The door had some additional mods done after the photo, I created an aluminium layer over insulation. The door sits mainly on the landing area under the flue, with the aluminium section protruding into the inner arch area. I have found this to work well, keeping the oven at a reasonable temp.

The wood does not seem to be suffering nor charring in the few attempts I have used it. The Jarrah is very dense, and the addition of the insulating layer makes little difference to the overall weight.

The door only goes in at the end of the nights cooking.

I guess I will just see how it goes.

Cheers

Craig
    "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
    The Pirate Captain

Comment

Originally posted by BOOMERS WFO View Post

I guess I will just see how it goes.
      Woof......
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

In researching wooden doors, I found references to the ignition points of timber were 270C if exposed to an open flame to ignite gases, but without a pilot flame, spontaneous combustion occurs around 500C.

The density of the wood plays a part and as Jarrah has a density of about 670kg/m3 the charring is very low, with the transmission of heat into the wood falling very quickly below the surface.

So I figure that with protecting the surface of the wood by the addition of an extra layer to reduce direct heat the timber should keep well and do the job.

Cheers

Craig
        Last edited by BOOMERS WFO; 04-13-2013, 01:50 AM.

Spike Milligan

The Pirate Captain

Comment

No probs.
          When you build the new non combustible door after this one is consumed please post some pics......
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Craig,
            My door is very similar. It is 25mm Quilla, very similar to Jarrah, with a 12mm insulation panel. Yes, I have burnt one up, but only when I placed it (at a searingly hot temp) to try to keep the oven hot for the next day. If only used for baking and roasting and ensuring that the oven is less than 330 C it is fine. It is also ok placing it halfway into the entry. The 12mm panel is just enough to take the sting out of the heat to protect the wood. I've tried to keep the door light so it can be easily used one handed.seems to work for me. I love the look of a wood door and it is a link to tradition.
            Dave
            Last edited by david s; 04-13-2013, 02:06 AM.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Nice work. I live in Echunga and have just completed the base and hearth support. Still a bit to do before I start the dome. But under way, finally.

Comment

Thanks Bill,

Welcome to the wonderful world of WFO's. There are plenty of valuable helpers on this site, don't be frightened to ask. There is no such thing as a silly question, but by not asking one you could end up with a silly disaster!!

My oven continues to improve each fire up. Last week I did my first multiple pizza cook at the same time. 3 at a time. Worked a treat. Had good heat in the oven, the temp seems to become more stable after each use, I am slowly adjusting my technique as the oven improves.

Cannot believe how different roasts are when cooked. More tender and moist, the roast pork leg I did last weekend was amazing, and the vegies cooked in their jackets have an amazing flavour.

Cheers

Craig

Spike Milligan

The Pirate Captain

Comment

Well what a weekend. The WFO gets better and better.

Eldest lad Ben turned 21 and had a couple of mates over for pizzas, and a very special birthday Amber Ale that we brewed back in January.(6.31% alcohol). It was fantastic.

Fired up mid afternoon, started cooking 5 hours later with a well saturated oven.

Biggest run of pizza I have done over the next 2 1/2 hours. A dozen pizzas of various types finishing with a desert pizza, - banana, rasperries, blueberries, dark chocolate and honey, lightly dusted with icing sugar after cooking.

Bens mates weren't to sure about a desert pizza, but it disappeared
                  so quickly, if I had more dough I would have had to make another one,or two....

After 9 odd hours from fireup, with only a few coals in the oven, thought I'd check dome temp. 529C inside top of dome, 29C external temp top of dome, ambient 17C. Oven (top of inner dome) got to over 700C in fire up.

Pretty happy with the level of insulation on dome.

Door went in and oven floor was still at 220C lunchtime Sunday (still need to seal door better). She who must be obeyed was convinced to try some first time baking in the WFO.

Donna chose her failsafe macadamia chocolate fudge. Let the oven cool a bit closer to 180C, and in it went. She was blown away with the result, and is now planning more baked goods in WFO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03979.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	294301 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03982.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	294302

Put door back to see what temp it would be this morning. 155C. Decided I would try a slow cooked casserole. Beef red wine, vegies. Now I will have to wait 8 or so hours until tonight to see the outcome.

3 days cooking from 1 fire. Changes the way you approach cooking.

Cheers

Craig

Spike Milligan

The Pirate Captain

Comment

Greetings fellow oveners.

Well winter has finally hit in Adelaide. Some decent rain and the cold is visiting from Antartica!!

Poor old WFO has been neglected for the last few weeks as I have been preparing a bench to build my shed(finally). 50 x 20 foot which will become a workshop to restore 2 cars.

Decided to fire up the oven this morning as it wasn't raining (though cold -5 degrees). Oven hasn't had a lot of use due to weather (and wood pile got wet).

Took it nice and slow warming the oven up to dry it out. After a few hours decided to try some baking to use the gentler heat the oven was generating. Made some Cornish Pasties. My version, 2 meats and 8 vegies.

Cooked the first 5 (for lunch). Tried this lot pointing toward the gentle fire. Turned after 10 minutes. Took out after 20 odd minutes of cooking. YUMMY

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03990.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	295559 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03991.jpg
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	295560 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03992.jpg
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	295561 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03993.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	295562

Second batch, I cooked at a 90 degree angle to the fire and rotated 180deg after 10 minutes. Much better result with a more even browning of the pastry. Have now made 2 dozen in total, which should take care of lunches for the next week!!

Now stoking the fire up to get a bit more heat to roast a lovely leg of lamb and roast veg for dinner.

Hopefully, this will get the oven conditioned up and ready for pizza next weekend as the weather is looking better for getting the shed site ready for the build.

Cheers

Craig
                    Last edited by BOOMERS WFO; 06-22-2013, 11:43 PM.

Spike Milligan

The Pirate Captain

Comment

Hi Craig

Now i'm hungry. Looooove Cornish pasties.
                      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Gudday Craig
                        Trust me the winters been wet this yr all over Australia. Basically here we have not had a week without rain since Australia Day! But as always the temps have remained mild our lowest daytime was last fri 16C ...and rain. Not what you would call a typical winters day.
                        I too tried the low and slow fires today to try and get that moisture out . Used 6 inch logs and burnt them for 5 hrs and cooked some steaks on a pre heated cast grill piece .... Worked well... Sorry ate the evidence before the pic.
                        Anyway it is go slow from here ... The ovens not cleared fully and I still have a black ring down low which indicates the ovens still has a lot of water in it.
                        Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                        X