X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenman
    replied
    Re: new build in werribee

Never let a good deal go by. I have enough in my shed to build another dome from when I found them at the right price when building my first.

I do believe that finishing one to find out what you would do differently would be a good thing to do!

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi all has been a while

Nothing done further on build but this weekend have 4 days. I have had all the electrical work done, deck resurfaced and partner and I bought a new house in January. Found a product that will assist me building shoji screens.

Now you guys need to knock some sense into me , I TODAY bought 48% alumina arch 75 59 firebricks about 200 for $300 for [you guessed it] to build oven at new place.

Guess I should finish this one first but THAT WAS REALLY CHEAP

At least I know how now. If you want some cheap bricks and live in Melbourne then PM me and I will tell you where to go.
    So to speak
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-15-2014, 02:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Be over the moon if I got just one day., but I hear you.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    One of these weekends I will finish the oven. Another weekend lost having to do other things. arrrgh.

Still To do

Electrical work
    Ceramic rope in gap at front between entry arch and inner landing arch
    Decorative arch
    My special top dead Centre piece for decorative arch
    Finish render
    Seal
    Render base
    Make 3 doors insulating door, blast door / weather door and hi temp glass door
    Tool draw
    Reseal deck
    Install thermocouple reader install 6 thermoco?ples
    Then finish around the alfresco area
    I feeling your pain .....My list is just as long.......The list never seems to end, and the weekends fly by.................One day at a time, Right?

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

One of these weekends I will finish the oven. Another weekend lost having to do other things. arrrgh.

Still To do

Electrical work
    Ceramic rope in gap at front between entry arch and inner landing arch
    Decorative arch
    My special top dead Centre piece for decorative arch
    Finish render
    Seal
    Render base
    Make 3 doors insulating door, blast door / weather door and hi temp glass door
    Tool draw
    Reseal deck
    Install thermocouple reader install 6 thermoco?ples
    Then finish around the alfresco area
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-23-2014, 04:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied

Colin. Thanks. Very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Originally posted by Texas View Post
    Oasiscdm - when you say "twisted" brick... what do you mean? I am looking to do a semicircle arch with a flared vent area. Looking at inner arch of 19" wide, 12" high and my reveal at 1", so the inside of my vent arch (dimensions just outside of the inner arch) would be 21" wide and 13"high and the outside opening of the flared arch would be 24.5" wide and 14.75" high. I was looking at doing 21 arch bricks. Using the numbers from the angelizer, I would mark one end of the brick with those dimensions and the other end of the brick with the dimensions for a 21 brick arch that is the smaller size. Then I would taper the brick from front to back, while making the arch brick shape. Is that a twisted brick?

On your top bricks (post #623 pg 63) in pics #2,3,4,&5 that you see on the oven side of the vent opening.... do they maintain the L cut in the back to form the heat break like the lower course ones? Are they mortared to the inner arch or are they "self supporting" as part of an arch that doesn't touch the inner arch?

Are there additional photos/info you can share? You mentioned that you and John shared alot of info about the semicircle flared arch.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Hi Texas

John and my arch differ slightly from what you describe, as the top/front of the vent landing is lower at the front than the rear. The twisted brick as I refer relates to the inner face of the landing arches. To achieve correct alignment of the face the bottom face needs to be ground at one end of the brick, and the top of the other end. You will see this when you lay them out. You only do this until the flue gallery. My situation was a little different to John's as I was using arch bricks 75/51 75/65. John layed his inner arch against oven arch but cut angle at the rear so that minimal brick was touching dome, whereas mine were rebated around dome entry arch [L you refer] with maximum reveal as I wanted maximum entry area as I feel it looks better than narrow reveals.

I have loaded every photo I took onto this thread so sorry no other shots. The rebated bricks at the rear of the landing are all rebated including the top bricks. I layed ceramic tape around the outside of the dome arch, to insulate between landing and dome, and will also insulate the face with ceramic rope poked up in the gap. Yes I should have done this before now, so will have some cleaning of soot to do. I will then seal with hi temp silicon. The landing does not connect in any way to the dome it is separated by about 1cm top and front of entry arch.

Also note my reveal is not 1inch but is 3inch the rebate is 30mm.

I have included the photo john shared re twisted brick. Hope you don't mind john. The lower bricks in landing all need this done to align the face it is quite fiddly but worth it. The shape looks like its twisted.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-22-2014, 04:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied

Oasiscdm - when you say "twisted" brick... what do you mean? I am looking to do a semicircle arch with a flared vent area. Looking at inner arch of 19" wide, 12" high and my reveal at 1", so the inside of my vent arch (dimensions just outside of the inner arch) would be 21" wide and 13"high and the outside opening of the flared arch would be 24.5" wide and 14.75" high. I was looking at doing 21 arch bricks. Using the numbers from the angelizer, I would mark one end of the brick with those dimensions and the other end of the brick with the dimensions for a 21 brick arch that is the smaller size. Then I would taper the brick from front to back, while making the arch brick shape. Is that a twisted brick?

On your top bricks (post #623 pg 63) in pics #2,3,4,&5 that you see on the oven side of the vent opening.... do they maintain the L cut in the back to form the heat break like the lower course ones? Are they mortared to the inner arch or are they "self supporting" as part of an arch that doesn't touch the inner arch?

Are there additional photos/info you can share? You mentioned that you and John shared alot of info about the semicircle flared arch.
    Thanks a bunch!

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

and I have to ask permission to use it....
    True. True....

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Dave,

What they say "Possession is nine tenths ownership" so better get the vacuum sealer back or go buy you another one........

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Dave - While the special ones think they are in control then you are still in the position of significant influence. The secret of having your 'idea' adopted is to allow the one in control to think it was their idea.

Worked for me for a lifetime - on and off the job!

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day Colin

having fun playing with the Vac sealer. One small problem the wife has claimed procession of said Vac sealer and I have to ask permission to use it.
    I thought that one through too ....still didn't turn out exactly as planned

Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Mine is beyond cured. Now the problem is keeping water off it.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Colin,

From what I've heard, an oven isn't complete until it's fully cured and broken in (experienced) and it sounds like that's exactly what you're doing!

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Arrrrrghhhhhh two long weekends in a row and still no oven completion activity..

Other than cooking of course.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X