• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: new build in werribee

Hi brissie

I always thought that about vermicrete on outside of blanket. That's why when talking to commercial builders each one used the cement based layer immediately after the refractory. Made more sense to me for any number of reasons.Locking the dome, preventing ceramic fibres entering oven through cracks, easier the get rid of the water, prevent cracking (by providing a thicker cement based layer (just a theory) etc.

We will see when I finish. Ran out of shiralite, 3 bags short.

Liteceeper

your pipe idea works a treat an absolute treat. Its a bit trickier without the chook wire to tie it too [shiralite on first] but a few tapcons here and there. Only problem should have used smaller tapcons never the less job done very easily.
    I see what you mean by having it 6" apart.

See you Monday Mark
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-08-2013, 12:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brissie
    replied

Hi oasiscdm,

Not sure about shiralite but my 100 mm insulation on top of CF, has taken weeks to remove the water, with decent fires a few times a week. It's been covered by a tarp so the sun doesn't get to do its job.

Condensate on the plastic is a great indicator especially after a long burn. At first when I thought the insulation was dry but checked the tarp. It was dripping wet. Just now it looks like most of the water has gone.

Cheers,

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    When it looks dry it will still contain lots of water. You can test it by placing a sheet of plastic over it when firing. Water will condense under the plastic to show you water is still present.
    Thanks David

I already have the plastic ready to go. Doug and yourself are big on this so will be curing that way. My burner didn't show [damn] so will fire up some heat beads this afternoon and get it up too 100c then 150c ish tomorrow. Burner arrives Monday crank it to 200c then. Hopefully by weekend I can wrap it up neat and tidy just like liteceeper and Russell and of course some others.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    What's interesting with shiralite is you know it's dry by the color it turns. Acquired a burner like Liteceeper used. Will double as a paella burner moving forward. Of course I can use oven too.
    When it looks dry it will still contain lots of water. You can test it by placing a sheet of plastic over it when firing. Water will condense under the plastic to show you water is still present.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Thanks again Liteceeper

Are you sure 5-8mm thick is enough thickness I spoke with a couple of knowledgeable people yesterday and both suggest around 50mm, a third 75mm [a little too thick for my liking.

I'm using a stone granite coat when finishing mine. I think I posted a picture somewhere on my thread, they now have newer options eg. marble and hammer finished.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-09-2013, 03:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X