Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canberra 36" finally started

G'day Lads,

I too have started to build here in Canberra - going for a 42'' tuscan pompeii.

Where have you guys sourced material from? Struggling to find refractory supplies locally.

Can't find fibre board, so I've bought a stack of vermiculite from South Pacific Hydroponics in Fyshwick ($45 /100L).

Found Ciment Fondu for dome motar at CE Industries in Geelong St, Fyshwick but at $45/bag, keen to explore other options.

Going to use Canberra Reds in the dome, but keen to have a cooking floor with better properties than they can provide. Any ideas? I've seen firebrick at Amber in Yalourn St, Fyshwick, but don't know what the quality is like.

A mate has brought some fireblankets back from Melbourne this weekend - so got that bit covered.

Any other tips gladly accepted.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan W View Post

Can't find fibre board,
      Whats the fibre board?

Originally posted by Dan W View Post
      I've bought a stack of vermiculite from South Pacific Hydroponics in Fyshwick ($45 /100L).
      Whoah....I paid $25 per 100l in Melbourne, it would have been cheaper to freight some in for yourself.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
        Whats the fibre board?

Insulating board traditionally laid under the cooking floor.

Whoah....I paid $25 per 100l in Melbourne, it would have been cheaper to freight some in for yourself.
        Where's that from Brickie? I'm seriously considering a road trip to get stuff. Freight costs to Canberra are just ridiculous!

Comment

I had to re google it again as Id forgot.

They sell it at the door for cash only.

Australian Vermiculite And Perlite Fairfield, VIC

Address: 7 Montefiore St, Fairfield, VIC 3078
          North VIC
          Tel: 03 94815688
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks Brickie. Nice one.

Where have the rest of you in Oz found calcium silicate insulating board?

Comment

Re: Canberra 36" change of plans...

I feel like I've cheated please don't hate me

I was hoping to build a 36". Given my lack of experience (Lego being my main construction medium, and not for 20years or so...) I decided to buy a DIY kit. I finished it on the weekend, all in one day which was a great, feel a little cheated though seeing all the awesome ovens and sense of accomplishment that must come with building one from individual bricks. Maybe if I move I will give the oven another go and build from scratch...

I have covered mine with render, after the insulating blanket (Dunlop Acrylic render bought at Bunnings). It has been curing since Saturday and there are a couple of little cracks in it around the place (2-3). Not sure what to do with those, if anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate some input. They're very thin and not too long, maybe 100-200mm long... I'm thinking of giving it a coat or two of concrete water sealant as well.

Here are a few pics. The stand still needs to be finished, I'm thinking whiteish render with some grey tiles for the top...
              Last edited by mothy; 09-15-2013, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Looks good so far. The cracks in the render will probably not get too serious. I would be inclined to give it some drying time and some more fires before doing anything much. If the cracks are only hairline they will be easy enough to cover.

I finished my dome with Dulux Acratex and it is capable of covering minor imperfections and mine is a grey(ish) colour. It says to age the render for a few weeks before application. That is my weatherproof coat but I have a roof as well.

It will be interesting to watch the progress and the finish from here. Good luck with it.
                Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Mothy

It's not about cheating its about the Oven. You did in a day and will be eating pizza shortly.
                  Well done the oven looks great.
                  Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement and input guys

Comment

Mothy,
                      Your acrylic render is pretty waterproof so it locks moisture in as well as keeping it out. This means you probably need more curing time, assuming you cured the oven after doing the render. You can just go over the cracks with more of the acrylic, but it would probably be prudent to wait for around 10 decent cooking fires before doing this.i'm a bit concerned about the chimney under the roof. Looks like a fire hazard to me.
                      Dave
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi David and thanks. The roof is very much a temporary measure as we've had a lot of rain here this week. It's a portable marquee and the cover can just slip off for firing the oven until I'm happy with curing and rain proofing...

Cheers,

Tim

Comment

Working...
                        X