New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New 42'' pompeii build in Canberra

Thanks Al and David. Will get onto that.

Comment

Been a bit delayed with the arrival of a baby daughter, which has been awesome. But the show must go on, so while she was napping, I:

1. pulled up the floor, scraped out sand until the vermicrete started showing through in spots (was still 5mm deep in some spots tho);
      2. drilled a weep/thermocouple probe hole;
      3. re-laid the floor, and;
      4. cut a stack of bricks.

The floor is dead level which I'm pretty happy with. Now to the first course.

Question: was thinking I'd drill a hole in the bottom of a floor brick and bring the thermocouple probe up to within a couple of mm of the surface. Anyone else done this, or can you recommend a better/another place to put another probe (I have two) - thinking one up near the top of the dome.

Currently having a little battle with a supplier on ebay. Bought a thermometer and two probes advertised as being rated to 1200degC. However when they arrived the packaging for the probe said it's only rated to 400degC. Brought this up with the seller, and they replied 'nah, the packet's probably wrong - just test it out and we'll refund you'. Their grasp of english (despite being located only one suburb away) couldn't comprehend that it would not be an easy thing to replace once built in if faulty. What sort of temps are regular in these ovens? I presume it's over 400degC quite regularly - but much more than that? might just take a chance.

Comment

I think one about half way up the dome is a more useful place.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Alright you lot, I think I need some tips on my mortar.

So I just laid my first course of bricks on top of the floor using homebrew mortar (1 portland cement, 1 lime, 1 fireclay, 3 sand) and as it dried, it cracked like a plumbers.... see photo.

In the pic you'll see I had a stack of mortar left which I pasted on the outside of the bricks. There seems to be hairline cracks between the odd brick also.

I'll admit to being a complete novice when it comes to bricklaying, so would love some tips.

Other info that may have been a factor: I added sufficient water to get it well mixed and just a little drier than a porridge-like consistency. It was a cool day - maybe 15deg C. The bricks were dry. I was drinking beer...

Comment

If you halve the clay content it will reduce the cracking. You could also try moistening the bricks prior to laying.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Gudday
              What brand of beer?

Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

A homebrewed pale ale to go with my homebrewed mortar Dave.

Thanks David will try that... you say it will 'reduce' cracking, not eliminate... so I guess the next question is therefore - do a few cracks matter? Is it worth pulling up that course and relaying it? And will reducing the fireclay mean a less heat tolerant mortar?

Comment

Gudday
                  The sand in the home brew is the matrix the bit that all the rest sticks too. The Portland cement provides the initial set but is effected by heat over 300C and will eventually break down. But at the same time the lime in the mix will take over and provide the long term and heatproof glue. The limes also fairly flexible and will take the stresses put on it as the oven heats and cools. The clay is there to give the mix better workability it sticks to brick better and allows a bit of squish to placing the brick without losing the bond. It's important as it lets one time bricklayers pull of a hard task. You might put a small squit of did washing liquid to the brew as it also improves the plasticity of the brew.
                  It's pretty cool and dry down your way it would hurt if you covered your job overnight , cement likes warmth and damp to set correctly
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once

My Build
                  My Door

Comment

Its the clay, as it dries it shrinks.
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Was keen to smash a big chunk out, so called in the big guns: Me mate Laurence, the wife holding the baby and lil Apprentice, and a cement mixer to mix a ton of mortar.

Cut the arch bricks and a stack of oven bricks during the week, jigged up an arch form, waited for the fog to clear, tuned into JJJ Hottest 100 of the last 20 years, and pulled out the beers (james squire golden ale this time FYI Dave).

Got the arch done - I was slow - in the time it took Laurence to lay a course it took me that and then some to get each row of arch bricks and locking brick trimmed and happily in place. Being the novice I am, it took me a few goes on most arch brick. That was certainly trickier than I was anticipating. Given the time invested, I hope the sucker stays up now!

Thanks again to Laurence!

Comment

Here's some pics

Comment

fire clay also from amber

Comment

So, it's been a while, you know the drill: raising baby and toddler, crazy work, yadda, yadda, but my job finished before chissie and before starting up in the new job managing a new brewery yesterday, I managed to polish off the inner oven to fire stage. She's not the prettiest oven, but she'll more than do the job, and it's been a grand adventure along and my Centenary homage to Canberra Reds is about to get redder! Bring the big fire!

Flue, insulation, door and render to come. But not before pizza!

Will post some more pics to fill in the gaps from the last post shortly... for now though, I leave you with this pic taken earlier tonight.

Comment

pretty ovens don't cook any better than less pretty ovens............it is the "chef" that makes the difference.
                              Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 02-04-2014, 03:54 PM.
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

G'day Dan
                                Great to hear from you again. How longs the dome been done for now? Recon the homebrew should be good and cured and pretty dry in the summer heat. You will not be suffering from steam cracks I bet.
                                If I were you I'd get myself some curing fires going now . Get that brickwork used to a bit of heat stage by stage..... Then have a pizza cook! No you don't need any insulation for that, just don't lean of the bare bricks after a couple of hours! Add the insulation later. I'm sure you'll have less cracks than someone trying to dry and heat temper the oven all in one go.
                                Regards dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once

My Build
                                My Door

Comment

Working...
                                X