Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36inch build in Redlands

Originally posted by Wayne73 View Post
    Good idea, you'll find you've gone to far with the arch bricks already and you can see that the last three coarse's are not going to marry up with the dome correctly.you can use your indispensable tool to give you an idea how far the arch bricks need to come back.
    Yes realised that. Will be blanketed and rendered so shouldn't look too bad and if it looks weird, I'll just mortar the piece back on.

Comment

Your right it wont look weird and you will never be able to tell from the outside, but it will make life easier for you if you get the inner arch right.
      Last edited by Wayne73; 05-24-2013, 08:35 PM.
      My build. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ton-18665.html

Comment

Yes, unless I make my inner arch bricks go back inside the oven further, looks like I am going to miss the top of them. Inner arch is too far forward. Could have sworn I got this right. Might try cutting larger bricks that will sit inside the oven for the top of the inner arch as there is no way I will be able to shift what is already there.

Comment

Better still, longer dome bricks for the 5 or 6 bricks that pass over the arch. Make them long enough to sit up on the arch. Probably need to be about 2-3" longer than the other arch bricks. What do you think?

Comment

Might be giving myself heartys for nothing. IT tool suggests all is going to be ok. Bit of an optical illusion at the moment I think. Next course of bricks will tell me for sure.

Comment

Hi Steve, just a quik question while I follow your build. What were the dimensions of your slab? I see it's a 900mm oven but I just want to compare the overall with what I'll be doing (hopefully soon). Also are you using rectangular brincks in the arch or tapered ones. Thanks Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Brooky Tom View Post
                Hi Steve, just a quik question while I follow your build. What were the dimensions of your slab? I see it's a 900mm oven but I just want to compare the overall with what I'll be doing (hopefully soon). Also are you using rectangular brincks in the arch or tapered ones. Thanks Tom
                G'day Tom, The top hearth slab measures 1670mm front to back and 1600mm side to side. I set the inside of the back bricks approximately 210mm in from the back of the slab. That gives me 110mm of brick, 75mm of insulation blanket, and approximately 20mm of render which should finish up the dome close to flush with the back of the slab. I needed as much room at the front for my flue to clear my house roof gutter, which is why I set it right at the back but it looks pretty good and it gives me some bench area at the front. Slab is slightly smaller I think than what the FB instructions suggest but for a 900mm oven, I think its ok. I have ended up a bit higher than where I would have liked. My oven floor is at 1170mm or about 46 inches. I think around 42 would have been better. Perhaps leave out the half besser block in the base next time. Next house, next oven... There will be another, I just know it.

Comment

Thanks Steve. It makes me comfortable with my 1750 x 1500 slab. I think I'll adopt your approach of starting at the back - alow 220mm in case -and then see what I have to work with at the front. Given you were 1600 width, it seems your 900 dia plus 2 lots of 210 is well short of the 1600 width? In my case I'm now tempted to stretch to a 1000mm build (Colin?) because width wise I can make it (2x220 plus 1000). I have a height limit so may have to make the dome circle elliptical if I do that

Comment

Originally posted by Brooky Tom View Post
                    Thanks Steve. It makes me comfortable with my 1750 x 1500 slab. I think I'll adopt your approach of starting at the back - alow 220mm in case -and then see what I have to work with at the front. Given you were 1600 width, it seems your 900 dia plus 2 lots of 210 is well short of the 1600 width? In my case I'm now tempted to stretch to a 1000mm build (Colin?) because width wise I can make it (2x220 plus 1000). I have a height limit so may have to make the dome circle elliptical if I do that
                    No worries Tom, Good idea to do what you are doing and get a firm idea which way you are going to go. Also I have cut a slight taper on my arch bricks. Less mortar, much neater. Ask my neighbours what a brick saw sounds like he he he

Comment

Got another course of bricks up yesterday. Having to taper the tops of them now to avoid larger mortar gaps. Don't know if anyone else has done this but I have been burying pieces of wire into my mortar joins to give me an anchor point for when its time to put the blankets and chicken wire on. Chicken wire especially would be hard to pull in without something to tie it to? Might be an unnecessary waste of time but wont hurt anyhow. Inner arch is going to be ok and I will put a slight taper on the bricks in the centre of the arch for the next course. All going good so far. Also made up a nice stainless base for my flue. Gotta love a nice tig weld. Anybody see an issue with placing this base in the mortar gap between 2 layers of bricks to hold it down or is there a better way to secure it? I was thinking maybe small dynabolts but might split the bricks open?

Comment

Stevo,

I fasten my anchor plate with redheads which I think are what you guys call dynabolts, then placed a brick cap over the anchor plate. Here are my pics hope this helps.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                          Stevo,

I fasten my anchor plate with redheads which I think are what you guys call dynabolts, then placed a brick cap over the anchor plate. Here are my pics hope this helps.
                          Thanks Russell, That's what I will do then. That's a beautiful looking oven you have by the way. I'd be really pleased if mine turns out half as nice as that.

Comment

Steve, BTW nice tig weld.

I fasten wire to hold down my insulation by drilling in Tapcon screws into the concrete hearth or a mortar joint. Then tied my chicken wire to the insulation wire. Here a couple more pics.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hey Russell that looks so neat haven't seen that photo before. Appears to be no bulging. How did you achieve that. No Chicken wire used?
                              Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Spent a day making a door. Copied from this site of course... Found a glass lid from an old saucepan, fixed it in place with high heat silicone. Stainless steel inside and alloy outside, just because that's what I had lying around. Used a pair of trailer spring U bolts and cut them in half to fit into the wooden handles and they pass through the door to keep it all together with about 30mm of insulation brick in the centre. As for the wooden handles, If my wife is looking for her rolling pin, I have no idea where it might be... Pinched the temp gauge from my gas BBQ because now I have this oven, there wont be any roasting happening in the bbq for a while. All up it cost me nothing as I had all these materials lying around so pretty happy with how it turned out. Might cost me to replace the rolling pin, probably going to need one of those soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X