Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Hi Crocau

Sounds great, out there cooking and eating makes the challenges re cracking go away. Just keep eating the mind will eventually forget those annoying aberrations.

I'm guessing same will occur with my build, for all the effort I believe I still will get cracking occurring.

I will miss having the WFO usable by my sons 21st on 21 Sep. Flue not due until 15 September. So I will not be able to start curing until around then without taking annual leave.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

hi all, going to do colorbond roof this week or week after and I got dektite for sealing around my flue but i'm little bit worried about flue temperature, would i be right that it goes over the 250C that red dektite is rated for?
      so i'm now thinking about getting putting 2nd flue over my existing 7" and then using dektite to seal that instead
      any tips on doing double flue would be great, or any tips at all
      thanks guys

Comment

The red decktite is sufficient, unless you overload the chamber and have flames going right up the flue pipe.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Oops, I didn't expect that answer, So no need for doing double skin just use red silicone dektite around my flue?

Comment

Hi croc
            I believe regulations stipulate that any flue going through a roof anywhere near a wooden structure needs to be triple skin. I had to do that with a combustion hater treats ago. And regulations usually become stricter over time not more lenient. I would go double skin route, or check with a combustion heater retailer
            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

roof is all metal including posts and frame so i should be ok with that
              i worked out that if i line up colorbond to my flue i can mark it within 1-2mm and cut it out with nibbler then i will just use high heat silicon, if i keep my gap around flue really close this should be all i need i figure

ALSO in other news, i started fire today after oven being exposed to rain for few weeks because i got sick of putting tarp back on it with all wild winds we been getting where at one stage i almost lost huge sliding door glass due to one of bricks i had holding tarp down went flying with tarp at my house.
              oven got soaked multiple times (thanks melbourne weather) so i was expecting drying fires for few days but it looks like i reached cooking temperatures without any problems, I started small so walls didn't get black all the way to the bottom so i'm not sure how to read dome clearing in such situation but after one hour dome started to clear up from top as normal, quite happy with that, one i have my roof i will have no problem with cooking no matter what weather is out there

Comment

I got tip for new oven builders out there.
                STOP stressing too much.
                if you review my thread from the start you might notice I worry about everything and some more and i do it ahead of time as well to make it even harder for myself.
                well, today i got oven that was exposed to rain for few weeks and when i say rain i mean BIG rain, it got wet everywher, dome, floor, you name it.
                I also got cracks, arch, dome, perlite render, main slab, you name it and it got crack in it and i'm expecting more cracks in final render one day BUT NON of that matters when you cook delicious pizzas and believe me when you see thermal expansion in action as your oven gets hot during big fire you will know that there is no oven without cracks or should i say expansion joints.
                you can avoid some issues but they wont ruin your day so pick your battles wisely because no matter what you going to enjoy it unless you use superglue instead of mortar or do something just as stupid

Comment

Originally posted by CrocAu View Post
                  hi all, going to do colorbond roof this week or week after and I got dektite for sealing around my flue but i'm little bit worried about flue temperature, would i be right that it goes over the 250C that red dektite is rated for?
                  so i'm now thinking about getting putting 2nd flue over my existing 7" and then using dektite to seal that instead
                  any tips on doing double flue would be great, or any tips at all
                  thanks guys
                  I have an 8" flue and had a 10" outer pipe and cowl made for that. I made the hole in the colorbond roof neat and tight and used silicone to seal it. The stainless doesn't get so hot and this set-up has been operating for some time and is holding up fine. The flue pipe exhausts above the seal at roof level and the temp of the roof at the sealing point doesn't get much above ambient.

A local sheet metal workshop charged me $90 for the outer chimney pipe and cowl.

The silicone had the same heat rating as the red dektite and was considerably cheaper. I think there is always a temptation to over engineer these things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06783.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	298197

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06809.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	612.9 KB
ID:	298198
                  Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

I like what you done that, I was looking in your thread on the photos but don't recall seeing the one from above.
                    that is the finish on top that i'm aiming for but Is there any reason why i couldn't/shouldn't just go single flue? tube of silicon i got from Ben is rated to ~500C

Comment

just small update, almost done now

Comment

Hey Croc - I missed your post and question. I am not sure what temp the flue would get to if you only had a single pipe. I suspect that it would push the limit of your silicone but that would depend on how intense the fire was and how much flame was going up the flue. I also suspect that there would be a margin built into the rating of the sealant. For me, I would give it a crack and keep an eye on how it was handling the heat.

Just my thoughts. Your build is looking good, you should be happy with that.
                        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Hi Croc
                          Looking good, might be a mute point now, but I used a 225mm galvanised vented outer flue over Ben's supplied 7" 175mm stainless steel flue and a black dektite sealed with roofing silicone.
                          Liteceeper
                          ~~~~~~~
                          My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ide-19729.html
                          My Door - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/9/sh...tml#post170496

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein

Comment

had few parties since before xmas and all was great but real test was tonight.
                            15 people, 20 pizzas later and i'm happy to report oven worked really well.
                            to play safe as we had few days with bit of rain i started up around 2pm, around 3:30pm i could start cooking even without going too heavy on wood but already had easy ~1000F and dome cleared, i kept it alive with couple of small logs till party started and this is where i really enjoyed the oven, couple of fresh pieces of wood on left side to bring up temperature to just over 900F all around and ~1000F at the very top of the dome, hit the floor with large peel to remove ash and started cooking my pizzas.
                            all the way till 10:30pm i had nice temperature for my pizza, with virtually zero work or worry just from two arm size pieces of wood i was cooking for over 4 hours maintaining 800-900F temperature, only work was having to make decision on what toppings should go on next pizzas in line.
                            if my slab didn't crack i would be even more happy and it seem liteceeper had same problem so not sure if design/building methods info could be improved or maybe instructions on curing but even with the couple of issues that we had to face i have to say oven is fantastic i would build it again and cracks as big as they are they don't matter when you busy cooking and eating pizza with family

Comment

Working...
                            X