house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Yeah, cooking oil is ok. You can use the hardieboard too, but it should be cut short and dropped out after the slab cures. The gap isn't really a big deal if you block it with something, even rolled newspaper. The focus is on supporting the center.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 05-28-2013, 07:49 AM.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Just to 'chime' in on another fellow WFO builders thread.

Regarding the concrete base. If I already lay a moisture barrier - builders plastic down on the slab, is it a bit of 'over egging the custard' if I lay some moisture barrier down for when I get around to pouring the base for the dome?

I tend to over engineer 'stuff'.

Comment

Originally posted by reccymech View Post
        Just to 'chime' in on another fellow WFO builders thread.

Regarding the concrete base. If I already lay a moisture barrier - builders plastic down on the slab, is it a bit of 'over egging the custard' if I lay some moisture barrier down for when I get around to pouring the base for the dome?

I tend to over engineer 'stuff'.
        If you are talking about the structural slab for the hearth. It would be great to add another layer of plastic and/or sealer on top of it but, under the insulation layer .
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

almost there :O
          can someone please have a look at my picture and tell me if it is ok to have particle board 10-15mm below top brick edge?

I can bring it up but unless there is some trouble i'm asking for other than using little bit of extra concrete then I would prefer use that time on finishing up my frame box tomorrow morning.

also i'm going to make small 25mm "lip" edge around the outside brick to hide brick<>concrete line that can look bit ugly, anything I should look out for with this idea?

Comment

Originally posted by CrocAu View Post
            almost there :O
            can someone please have a look at my picture and tell me if it is ok to have particle board 10-15mm below top brick edge?

I can bring it up but unless there is some trouble i'm asking for other than using little bit of extra concrete then I would prefer use that time on finishing up my frame box tomorrow morning.

also i'm going to make small 25mm "lip" edge around the outside brick to hide brick<>concrete line that can look bit ugly, anything I should look out for with this idea?
            Yes that is O.K. No problems with creating a small ledger either. Remember to add some kind of release to your form...that stuff will really take the water in.
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I have put shiny side up so fingers crossed it wont be too bad and I plan to rub it with a lot of cooking oil, should I do more? also how soon can i remove my form? i figure the longer i leave it in place the harder it will be to remove.
              also any tips on how to get top finished nice and smooth?
              now that this "thing" is taking its shape I can't believe how HUGE it is :O

Comment

I suspect you have Masonite and not particle board...at least that what it looks like in the picture. Give it another liberal coat just before you pour the concrete in...no standing puddles, just wipe it down. Leave the form for 7 days and keep the top of the slab covered with plastic.

Once you screed the slab level, use a mag float to smooth it out. It will close up the concrete and give you more 'shine' than a wooden float.
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I have put shiny side up so fingers crossed it wont be too bad and I plan to rub it with a lot of cooking oil, should I do more? also how soon can i remove my form? i figure the longer i leave it in place the harder it will be to remove.
                  also any tips on how to get top finished nice and smooth?
                  now that this "thing" is taking its shape I can't believe how HUGE it is :O
                  Another good trick for a small area like this is parchment paper laid over the particle board, it can be taped on the underside at the seams to seal it together and will release very easy when you take the board out

Chip
                  Chip

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                    I suspect you have Masonite and not particle board...at least that what it looks like in the picture.
                    it is subfloor board down under we call it yellow tongue

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                    Another good trick for a small area like this is parchment paper laid over the particle board, it can be taped on the underside at the seams to seal it together and will release very easy when you take the board out

Chip
                    quick google indicates that parchment paper = baking paper? is that correct? if so then that is great as I got giant 300meter roll here

Comment

it is subfloor board down under we call it yellow tongue

quick google indicates that parchment paper = baking paper? is that correct? if so then that is great as I got giant 300meter roll here
                      Correct baking paper = parchment paper
                      Chip

Comment

thanks again everyone

Comment

we call it yellow tongue
                          It looks like it, if it is the top surface is completely waterproof for 3 months out in the weather, if its orange tongue oil it firkst.
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                            It looks like it, if it is the top surface is completely waterproof for 3 months out in the weather, if its orange tongue oil it firkst.
                            are you saying I should worry about the baking paper then?

EDIT: weather stopped me today but I did get the main part of the outer frame done so need one day with good weather to finish this

btw I got some spare rebar and my base is little larger then most from what I seen should I add 2 extra members ? what is normal spacing 300mm?
                            Last edited by CrocAu; 05-30-2013, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Just spray it with oil or wd40 to be on the safe side.
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

If you are planning an igloo oven and it will be out in the weather, rather than screeding the slab off level it is a good idea to mound the supporting slab up slightly in the middle so that there is a slight slope to the outside. This prevents (to a certain extent) water from accumulating under the insulation.if you are building a doghouse style or the whole oven is covered with a roof, then screening it level is sufficient. The insulation layer sitting on top of the supporting slab should then be made flat to take the floor.
                                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X