Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Gudday
    Yellow tongue .... Your good to go ! I built mine out of an old chipboard cupboard . Made sure that I cut it so the biggest piece would fit out the entrance. Made sure the "cuts " were suported . Gaffa taped those cuts, oiled it ,pored the slab. A week later, cawled in pulled the supports and the pieces out the underside slab was as smooth as silk.
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
      If you are planning an igloo oven and it will be out in the weather, rather than screeding the slab off level it is a good idea to mound the supporting slab up slightly in the middle so that there is a slight slope to the outside. This prevents (to a certain extent) water from accumulating under the insulation.if you are building a doghouse style or the whole oven is covered with a roof, then screening it level is sufficient. The insulation layer sitting on top of the supporting slab should then be made flat to take the floor.
      I'm building igloo but I wont have layer of insulation concrete.
      was going to put 50mm calcium silicate boards as insulation instead.
      bad idea?

Comment

No, that's a good idea. The Cal sil board is dry at least and you won't have to worry about eliminating extra water. If you do mound up your supporting slab, then mortar your insulation in place so it's level.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
          No, that's a good idea. The Cal sil board is dry at least and you won't have to worry about eliminating extra water. If you do mound up your supporting slab, then mortar your insulation in place so it's level.
          can you please put some more light on what you said for me please.

you said calsil is dry and I don't have to worry about eliminating extra water but then you say to mound up my slab and mortar calsil in place?

I was going to do my slab as flat and level as possible but your post indicates that it is bad idea?

was under impression that if my slab is level and flat then I can place calsil directly on it without any mortar? wrong again?

EDIT: lucky i'm slow this way I get to confirm last bits
          my progress today, finished frame, blocked holes, installed baking paper and put my rebar

speaking of rebar I ended up with 16mm there is few spots that have about 35mm concrete space left under them is this something to worry about or i'm ok with that?

Last edited by CrocAu; 05-31-2013, 05:02 AM.

Comment

If rain runs off your outer igloo shell and onto the supporting slab, any tiny crack where it meets that slab can allow water to enter under the insulation. if you make the slab such that the water would have to travel uphill it will help prevent getting your insulation wet from the weather.
            Driving the water out of vermicrete is removing the water you have to add when mixing the stuff. As the calsil board is already dry you don't have to worry about drying it out, but you don't want the weather to enter and get it wet.

Comment

I see what you mean, what is the best way finish concrete in such way?
              I been trying to find some guide on how to mound up slab but no joy so far, any known thread or maybe youtube clip with good info on this?

Comment

Originally posted by CrocAu View Post
                I see what you mean, what is the best way finish concrete in such way?
                I been trying to find some guide on how to mound up slab but no joy so far, any known thread or maybe youtube clip with good info on this?
                With a float. Make the centre about half an inch higher than the sides. It's not difficult

Comment

weather is shocking so i'm going to have few more days before I get on with my slab so any extra tips are most welcome
                  I only have straight edge and medium size metal float is this enough to get job done or should I get myself large bull float as well?

Comment

should I get myself large bull float as well?
                    If you are doing a large car park then yes.
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

weather is shocking so i'm going to have few more days before I get on with my slab so any extra tips are most welcome
                      I only have straight edge and medium size metal float is this enough to get job done or should I get myself large bull float as well?
                      Your float will be fine, just do it by eye.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                        If you are doing a large car park then yes.
                        i guess i should cancel my preorder for my very own concrete truck?

while i'm here, let me put big THANK YOU to everyone posting all the helpful tips.
                        really took the edge off, I always manage to get things done but i stress a lot with every project for no good reason, so again thanks all for helping.

Comment

i guess i should cancel my preorder for my very own concrete truck?
                          For some of us the oven is the excuse to get some cool tools but a concrete truck may be hard to hide from the social director.

Chip
                          Chip

Comment

someone mentioned before i should leave framework for a week in place so bottom part will stay but how soon can i remove the edges? timber that i used to create "lip" around the edge have the machined groves in it so i want to avoid sticking issues if i can.
                            would be safe to remove it after 24 hours?

Comment

Ive seen form work for house slabs removed in 3 hours.
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

finally done it :O
                                going to get oven materials next week fingers crossed and get on with the last part.

i'm guessing i need week before i start oven construction on my fresh slab, is that correct?

Comment

Working...
                                X