Just joined and plan to build oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just joined and plan to build oven

Well finally started prep the slab ,finally got it poured then weather was cold and it didn't want to go off ,well that was a week ago and this afternoon i set out my besser blocks for the stand ,I was lucky as I only had to cut 4 to size .
    My son ha sport on tomorrow so won't get any more done this week end hope to get the floor poured some time next week end

My question is planning to do 4'' structural slab then 4'' vermiculite insulation slab ,do they have to be poured at same time or can I do insulation slab another day ?
    Also how much vermiculite do you use on slab approx 2.2 x 1.8 m slab and on the rest of a 42'' oven .
    I have to bags so far but I realize that I will need more but how much .
    I will try to attach some photo's of my build .
    Chris

No luck with photo's
    I paper clipped then then upload system had a think then ffornobravo.com/forum/newattachment .php?do....
    came up
    will try another day

Comment

Have another go at attaching photos

Comment

The structural slab and the vermicrete do not have to be poured at the same time. Most builders wait at least 24 hrs after pouring the structural slab, but you could wait for weeks. Work out your volume for required quantity L x B x H add another 20% for volume loss on mixing. For the dome use 4/3 pi rxrxr again adding 20%. Not a bad idea to allow your vermicrete slab dry before covering over it, explanation in attachment. You may have trouble getting the weather to dry it this time of year in Toowoomba.
        Attached Files
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Well I now know how to reduce photo size attached are photo's of slab prep and the pouring and the base laid out .
          Squared it all up this afternoon and now ready to fill the block work
          Chris

Comment

Thanks Dave
            Was not sure how the vermicrete stood up to mixing and now I am a bit concerned about getting it to dry out properly as well .I see a lot of people seem to just do the insulating slab in the centre of the base ( approx.the size of there internal oven) and then put the bricks on top of the insulating slab ,this then leaves the out side area normal concrete which will not attract moisture .I think they call it key hole shape? It looks like the way to go

Chris

Comment

If you can, slope your supporting slab down to the outsides slightly so water will not be encouraged to penetrate to the vermicrete slab.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks Dave that's a good idea so I will slope my slab slightly to remove excess water.
                I picked up my vermicrete yesterday .Gee it pay's to shop around one place wanted $52.00 for a 100l bag of grade 3 and finished up getting it from Elders for $19.00 per bag .
                While in Brisbane I purchased my insulation blanket from Morgan Thermal Ceramics .they had a very small over in there warehouse that had seen better day's (as it lives on a pellet and gets moved by forklift when needed) but I was interested to see how they mounted the Thermometer

They had a small tube going through the side of the oven approx. 3 quarters of the way up the side of the oven just over the cooking position .They then can insert a thermometer in to monitor the temp .Is putting a tube about 8mm inside diameter right through the oven wall advisable .

Chris

Comment

Working...
                X