Making my own tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Making my own tools

The head of a metal peel probably weighs more than the pizza. Given that a pizza cools off your oven floor, a conductive metal pizza peel shoved into the oven gets hot very quickly then cools off again quickly while it's out. The loss of heat therefore is not inconsequential.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
      The head of a metal peel probably weighs more than the pizza. Given that a pizza cools off your oven floor, a conductive metal pizza peel shoved into the oven gets hot very quickly then cools off again quickly while it's out. The loss of heat therefore is not inconsequential.
      David,

Man up and admit that you're blowing smoke. How many of us would knowingly slide a metal peel along the full length of that hot oven floor, to the point where we want to place our pizza, and if we did, we would only do it once. The pizza would not release from the peel, been there, done that! If the heat loss was major and I could still get my 90sec pizza, to me it would be an inconsequential loss. The majority of us are more that happy with a 3 minute pizza, so the heat loss from the peel is good enough for government work, don't you think?

Comment

I did not say the heat loss would be major. I said it would not be inconsequential. When under the pump and turning out 30 pizzas in an hour, one at a time, I need to preserve all the heat I can.more so because my oven is very small. My peel gets quite hot every time I put it in.Once to turn the pizza after around a minute then in again to remove it a minute later. Heat is attracted to more thermally conductive materials, whether in contact with the floor or not. Aluminium way more conductive than stainless too.
        This is an interesting physics problem worthy of discussion, and perhaps some measurement, but as you have chosen to be argumentative and abusive I don't feel inclined to offer any more.
        Last edited by david s; 07-09-2013, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
          David,

Man up and admit that you're blowing smoke. How many of us would knowingly slide a metal peel along the full length of that hot oven floor, to the point where we want to place our pizza, and if we did, we would only do it once. The pizza would not release from the peel, been there, done that! If the heat loss was major and I could still get my 90sec pizza, to me it would be an inconsequential loss. The majority of us are more that happy with a 3 minute pizza, so the heat loss from the peel is good enough for government work, don't you think?
          Sorry for this intrusion on this thread .

I'm not a moderator...........by no means. I'm not commenting on the "right or wrong" answers to "newbie" questions. I would just like to make a statement about respect.

I don't know all the answers. I don't think anyone does. But, as a forum I think that we can find the solution. I think that we should be able to ask a question or give our "best practice" answer with wondering if a sniper is going to take our friggin' head off .

My point is: If you think that you have a better answer, Just say "well, this is how the hll I do it. That would be more respectful than many of the posts that I've seen lately .
          Last edited by Gulf; 07-10-2013, 05:49 PM. Reason: I misspelled
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hi David,

We 've both been here for sometime. We have agreed and disagreed on issues, and at no time have my opinions been aimed to disrespect you or anyone else as a person. Some here, find that being PC, is the new norm, and others are "Old School", call them as they see them, and if we're wrong, its easy to say,"I'm sorry I made a mistake.

Comment

A post/query back in line with actual thread topic.

Does anyone know what type of oil/treatment can be used on the wooden handles to protect them but also make sure there not flammable.

I have used linseed oil but I have just read on Internet articles that this oil is quite flammable. So before I use the new tools I better make sure that the tools wont catch alight! I can sand it all back if it is going to be an issue.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz Aus View Post
                A post/query back in line with actual thread topic.

Does anyone know what type of oil/treatment can be used on the wooden handles to protect them but also make sure there not flammable.

I have used linseed oil but I have just read on Internet articles that this oil is quite flammable. So before I use the new tools I better make sure that the tools wont catch alight! I can sand it all back if it is going to be an issue.

Cheers
                I use an exterior varnish, but the handle near the tool head gets pretty cooked. Don't expect them to keep looking new for too long. Pretty easy to resand and redcoat though.

Comment

Thanks David

I think tools that look like they are being used look better anyway. Adds to the character of the whole WFO thing. I am more trying to ensure the timber is protected from moisture damage and general weather impact as I was thinking of storing them alongside the oven and at the moment the oven is not sheltered from the weather (next task!).

I guess I can try one of the tools and see if it ignites!! That will be fun!!

Comment

great tools! I used some old oven trays, some were aluminium, some steel, probably 1.5mm thickness. For the handles I used 30mm pine dowel suitably treated. Just made saw cut in end of dowel and used brass woodscrews to hold metal in place. No need for bolts and nuts, just drill through one side of dowel and through the steel.

Oh, by the way, I found that a piece of metal tube 15mm diameter and 1.5m long was just right to blow the ash off the oven floor and to act as bellows.

Comment

Use boiled linseed oil or tung oil instead of raw linseed oil...they dry faster. I don't think you need to worry about the handle bursting into flame unless you forget to take it out of the oven.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                      John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks Tony and Stonecutter, much appreciated.

Comment

Gudday
                          I doubt that the linseed oil would burst intio flame unless its real wet and the volatiles haven't evaporated.
                          If you use a real watery coat of varnish a least 1 to 6 and wipe it over and let it dry when you oil it the oil can't penetrate to far and build up and turn dark.
                          Use 000 grade steel wool to sand , wipe between sandings with a damp rag and you will end up with a super smooth hard surface.
                          Don't worry about Aussie hardwood and heat the Abo's used flame to harden thier spear tips which could go clear through a man!
                          How did you go with drilling that stainless by the way? For what is worth the only way I have been able to achieve it at home was with a drill press on low and slow. And using an oil can of Kero dribbled on the drill bit to dissipate the heat and cuttings. Anyway with so many to do it might pay to visit a local engineering shop and pay them to burn out drill bits
                          Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Cheers Dave

Lets say that some of the money I saved making my own tools has been spent on a few drill bits! Didn't realise how hard it is to drill s/s even with the proper drill bit.

Still have a couple more to drill but have gone too far to now go to an eng. firm.

What do you thin the varnish with?

Comment

Gudday
                              Oil based is best and you can just thin with turps. ( sorry not a " big fan" of water based)
                              You going to keep drilling yourself the way I understand SS is that it doesn't dissipate heat real well. So when you drill the heat comes back really fast to the drill bit which heats up. The heat destroys the drill bits hardness and the whole process comes to a grinding halt.
                              That's why a drill press worked you can back of the bit before it heats to the point of destruction. And the Kero takes the heat and hot shavings away from the cut.
                              Hope somthing here might help
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks again Dave, will definitely use your tips for the few more holes I need to drill and the varnish mix to finish off the handles.

Comment

Working...
                                X