Making my own tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Making my own tools

I find stainless steel quite easy to drill, but you must use sharp drills, keep the speed down and keep pressure on the drill to cut. If it fails to cut and keep cutting, then it will burn the bit.
    I was in a line at Bunnings tool centre buying better quality small replacement drill bits (as you and especially your son breaks them more) when the guy ahead of me had a pack of unbranded Made in China drill bits that he was only doing a price check, $1.79 per pack!
    I made a comment on cheap drills and he claimed that they weren't bad, so I bought 2 sets, bought them home and using a 4mm bit drilled 34 holes using a drill press through a 1.6mm 16 guage stainless sheet without any burning of the drill. I then went back to Bunnings and bought every set at both their Marion and Mile End stores. Even though they were unbranded, they were as good as any Frosts, P&N or other quality brand that I have experienced.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

David, Neill

Drilled the few holes I needed this morning and followed both your tips and was definitely easier. I was obviously drilling to fast and burning the ends of the drill bits.

Here are a couple of pics with the finished tools. I also decided to build an aluminium holder for the containers I use to hold all the toppings. I will include some pics of these on another post.

Thanks for your help

Comment

My tray holder I made this morning

Comment

And with trays in it!

Comment

If you put some sides on the holder, you can fill it with ice to keep the stuff cold.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Added another tool! This one is for moving dishes/trays around.

I used a reasonably heavy duty tent peg I had in the shed, drilled a suitably sized hole and glued. Hopefully the glue won't be an issue but guessed that i won't have it in too long anyway. If not I'll go to plan B (not sure what that is yet!)

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz Aus View Post
                Cheers Dave

Lets say that some of the money I saved making my own tools has been spent on a few drill bits! Didn't realise how hard it is to drill s/s even with the proper drill bit.

Still have a couple more to drill but have gone too far to now go to an eng. firm.

What do you thin the varnish with?
                When drilling SS, if the bit squeals then you've blunted it.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

got couple quick ones for you, is this shovel handle from bunnings that you use there and how did you cut the grove for the tool heads to go in the handles? if SS is 1.5mm i'm worried my saw will cut 2-3mm and make the handle weak

btw did you get the off cuts for free or you paid for them? i almost got some today but they wanted some money for it.
                  i know recycling centre got some SS at $50 for whole brand new sheet so I might just go with that
                  Last edited by CrocAu; 07-15-2013, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Hi CrocAu,

You might want to re-read the above and edit.

Comment

Hi Croc

Yes the handles are from bunnings. I just used a jigsaw to cut the grooves. Was going to use a circular saw but decided against it. I think a hand saw would do the job also.

If you can get the S/S sheet for $50 get it. In Adelaide a new sheet of 1.5mm was around $300. I had to pay for the offcuts. They charge by weight.

No problems with the strength of the handles. The cut width using the jigsaw allowed a firm fit. Bolting the heads gave it some strength back. Time will tell.

I used the rake and brush yesterday to clean out the WFO from my last pizza night and both worked well. The rake worked a treat and I was able to get all around the oven with the brush.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                        Hi CrocAu,

You might want to re-read the above and edit.
                        omg, nice find

Comment

got some really nice off cuts today, more than i need so will have a blast with that

Comment

Great news. You will definitely get satisfaction out of making your own tools. Used mine on the weekend for the first time and they worked well.

Did you end up having to pay for the offcuts?

Please post some pics of your tools when done.

Cheers

Chaz.

Comment

yes i did pay a little, got few for free as well, i'm sure i will find use for it

Comment

Hello Chaz,

are you able to send me the plans/templates for your tools as they look great

Comment

Working...
                                X