Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Making my own tools

Hi Dazmac

I didn't use any plans/templates and went with just some measurements that seemed to be about right. I did try to make sure the handle end length of the s/s was the same size to give the tools some consistency in looks.

I will take some measurements in the next couple of days and post them.

The shovel handles are still the same size as I bought them from Bunnings and seemed just right for the size of my oven (1m internal diameter). I used the tools on the weekend (made about 20 pizzas and baked around 15 loaves of bread) and they worked well. The round peel worked exceptionally well when I had 5 pizzas in at the same time.

Comment

i got my stainless steel bits ready to go, got first batch of handles as well (bunnings only had 5) and some screws, speaking of screws, could you post couple of close ups on both sides showing how you seated them? I'm thinking of drilling 2-3mm deep to hide the bolt head and nut on the other end then cutting off whatever sticks out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazmac View Post

are you able to send me the plans/templates for your tools as they look great
        Hi Dazmac

Sorry for the delay in getting you some sizes for the tools. The measurements (in millimetres) are taken off the completed tools as so they do no take into account the bend but hopefully give you some idea. The length is also taken from the tip of the tool to the end of the section slotted into the timber handle (hope that makes sense!)

Trowel 415 * 180
        Scoop 440 * 90
        Square peel 400 * 280
        Round peel 350 * 220
        Broom 200 * 140
        Rake 310w* 90h and 160 from bend to end in timber handle

Hope these help.

Note: for the curved sections I just used lids and other things I could find around the shed to draw a neat curve. The bending was all done on a vice and a rubber hammer. Crude but did a reasonable job.

Comment

Originally posted by CrocAu View Post
          i got my stainless steel bits ready to go, got first batch of handles as well (bunnings only had 5) and some screws, speaking of screws, could you post couple of close ups on both sides showing how you seated them? I'm thinking of drilling 2-3mm deep to hide the bolt head and nut on the other end then cutting off whatever sticks out.
          Hi CrocAu

Here are some pics. I didn't bother trying to hide the bolts. They are stainless steel so they do not look out of place. I cut off the excess length and grinder them back to remove any burrs.

Comment

Another angle

Comment

Last one showing the back of the bolts

Comment

Thanks Heaps Chaz

looks like I have some tool making to do now

Comment

Chaz you been great help, thanks a million for posting all the info about your project
                  Last edited by CrocAu; 07-29-2013, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X