Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SE QLD oven

Originally posted by Ash71 View Post
    Vermiculite..... Is it advisable to keep this layer as dry as possible throughout the build process? I'm also looking at buying a kit from NSW that has everything you need to construct a 1200mm oven. The reason being that I can get this all delivered to my door and don't have to go to Brisbane. Has anyone out there bought/built from such a kit?

Ashley.
    Gudday
    which kit are you thinking of buying

regards dave
    I double checked Forno Aus still doesn't run a kit as such. Shame
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 01-07-2014, 01:17 PM. Reason: Add note
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Have a look on Gumtree. I found unused firebricks for 50c each. Better deal than $4 each from the manufacturer and your local sheet metal shop will make your S/S stuff at the right price if you go and have a chat to them - 8" flue and chimney and cowl for $180.

That is part of the thrill of the chase!!
      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Dear 577ftg,

Hi
        Wood fired pizza oven kit 1200 x1200 including
        160 fired clay brick 1300 degree
        10 floor fired clay tiles 250x250x30mm
        25 fired clay bricks for the arch door
        Ceramic fibre board 1000x1000x25mm
        Ceramic fibre board 7200x600x25mm
        Refractory cement 25kg
        Heavy duty door with handle
        For more information call us on 0416041696
        The goods will be ready mid to end January.

Cheers
        Buddy

- nancybarakat

Hi Dave

This is the list of contents in the kit. So it's not really a precut kit but just one with almost everything in it.

Ashley

Comment

Hi ash

Sounds good. I would personally go a little thicker on the floor if you are looking for retained heat. The norm on this site appears to be at least 50mm. Most seem to opt for 75mm. Any way just my view. Is listen to those that have been around longer than myself. That's what I did...
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Thanks Colin. I will post some more pictures soon. I have done a 3 1/2 inch layer of vermiculite already. With that, ceramic board and floor tiles I thought it would be enough. If it's not tell me now before I get any further.

Regards
            Ashley

Comment

I don't think it would be enough thermal mase in the hearth if you want to cook for days afterfiring. Insulation sounds fine but the floor thickness at 35 mm would possibly be problem. IF you have purchased the kit with the 35mm tiles I would obtain some more and do 2 layers of tiles.

You could cut the first layer under the dome brick and have the second layer inside the dome. I layed mine [75mm tiles] inside the dome.

So far having fired mine since the 15/12 some quite large fires since new year, I have not noticed any cracking [Yet]. I feel if the dome is layed on the hearth bricks the dome is more susceptible to floor expansion if the floor expands the dome bricks must move [therefore cracks], even if the first course is not fastened to the Hearth bricks [although this must help in preventing it cracking] but this is just my opinion on the subject. Others will have a different view.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin.
                Just a question, could you keep the 30mm floor tile and double up on the ceramic board thickness? Would that give you more thermal mass?
                Regards
                Ashley.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                  Pre-cut kits and the like are good. Probably takes the learning/adventure out of it and makes it a bit like Lego I expect. They will all work at some level or another and it depends how deep your pockets are because some of the kits are not cheap by comparison.

I found half of the satisfaction from sourcing the materials and keeping the costs reasonable (which I managed to do). No need to sacrifice the quality of the build either.

If you are time poor a kit would look good I suppose.
                  Thanks Steve.
                  Anyone with some or knows of some bricks for sale locally, let me know please.

Ashley

Comment

Thanks Colin.
                    Just a question, could you keep the 30mm floor tile and double up on the ceramic board thickness? Would that give you more thermal mass?
                    Regards
                    Ashley.
                    No..

Ceramic board is insulation therefore not thermal mass. I'm no scientist or expert but thermal mass provides I believe a dense structure that can absorb the heat and retain it. Ceramic board simply stops the heat escaping. Not withstanding that, more insulation is of course better.

If I was to do mine WFO again [which I will be in a new place] I might consider adding a second layer of ceramic board. but as it is I have 5" of effective insulation below my 75mm oven floor tiles.

Consider adding another layer of fire brick tiles at 35 or 50mm.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi Ash

I have used a fire brick tile for the floor which was only 40mm thick. In order to keep costs down but get the thermal mass I has put a layer of ordinary clay pavers below this which are 40mm thick. I found a place that sells seconds that were $2 a pop and only needed to 12 of them. Not sure if this was a good idea or not as still in the drying/curing process but others on the forum may be able to comment.

Mark
                      My build --> http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/fi...d-20033-1.html

Comment

Interesting idea Mark.

Can't see why that wouldn't work.

I was so keen on doing it right I had 20 x 75mm firebrick tiles shipped from Sydney at I think around $18.70 each plus $100 [only because I knew someone in freight forwarding].

Yeah could have used 2 layers of 50mm or 40mm [never did price this option [Damn] and that would have given me even more thermal mass at the expense of heat up time.

The 75mm probably also less chance of cracking.
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

Gudday
                          Most forno ovens are 1/2 brick dome 115mm with a 50 mm firebrick tile floor or firebrick set on 75 mm face. Seems to give a good balance all round oven that heats up in a reasonable time and retains heat over a reasonable time.
                          The floor is thinner than the dome mainly because its longer to heat up. Heat rises and the dome gets more heat than the floor. The tip of the flame is hotter than the base of the flame same as the old Bunsen burner at school. The floor also is insulated from heat radiating from the dome to certain extent by the coals and ash.
                          From what I read a 50mm dome takes 60 to 90 mins to saturation, a 115 mm more like 120 to 150. Increasing the mass means more time till saturation and that's what is important to me regardless of the wood consumption.
                          With a thinner dome shell gives you faster time till saturation ( pizza time) but less baking time . A larger than forno mass oven gives you a longer wait till saturation but an extended baking time. I have little interest in multiple bakes I can only give away so much bread. If I need more baking temp I flash up another fire, a hot oven is faster to heat than a cold one.
                          That's why I think the forno formula for oven mass is the best for an all round oven reasonable heat up times and reasonable baking times.
                          Anyway that's my take on that.
                          Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Should I be trying to keep the vermiculite layer dry now that I've poured it?
                            Ashley.

Comment

I would cover it for the initial cure. Perhaps a week to allow the insulation to strengthen. It takes concrete about 28 days to reach about 80 percent strength. But maybe it doesn't matter that much as vermicucrete does hold water, and thus cure reasonably.

Thanks for all the info. Should I be trying to keep the vermiculite layer dry now that I've poured it?
                              Ashley.

Yes, I think the general idea is to try and dry out the base as much as you can before building more layers on top. Let the sun shine on it. The more water you evaporate now the quicker the oven will dry out in the future.

It can take considerable time to drive all the water out of an oven when its completed. Water may stay in the insulating layers even though it looks dry.

Cheers,

Steve.
                              Last edited by brissie; 01-09-2014, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Some pics of the vermiculite. Have to pour some concrete around the outside yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X