X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New (2nd) build in Brisbane

[QUOTE=brissie;177786]Applor FYI,

just a howto...

"Bond beam blocks are known as "knock out bond beam blocks", for a reason. The blocks have the central section cast with gaps. This allows the weak section to be knocked out. The bit that is knocked out is used to fill the core, so concrete is not wasted and fills the entire column."

Although knockouts can be used to create a bond beam they are not the same as bond beam blocks. Bond beam blocks are a solid u shape without a cavity in the bottom like knockout blocks. They provide a much neater finish on the bottom and require less concrete to fill because of this. You can get them from block manufacturers.
    Last edited by david s; 08-08-2014, 04:49 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

When I asked about the bond beam, it seems I have mistakenly referred to the wrong thing.

You are obviously talking about the 12mm reobar that is run inside the besser blocks to add strength.

I was referring to the thick steel square shaped cross supports you used to support the Hebel powerpanel.

What is the correct term for that?

I had not planned to use bond beam support as you have described.

Comment

Originally posted by applor View Post
        When I asked about the bond beam, it seems I have mistakenly referred to the wrong thing.

You are obviously talking about the 12mm reobar that is run inside the besser blocks to add strength.

I was referring to the thick steel square shaped cross supports you used to support the Hebel powerpanel.

What is the correct term for that?

I had not planned to use bond beam support as you have described.
        The steel in my build is just fence post steel left over from another project. Its not designed for the task, but it does add strength to my design. You can get steel lintel's designed for this job. A proper lintel would take much more load.

Search - Our range | Bunnings Warehouse

Davids, I think the U shaped blocks are generally referred to as lintel blocks.

Steve.

Comment

Applor
          There called lintels I believe. Metal supports that span two points across a structure.
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Woops brisse already covered it.

If you look at mine the main one was to pieces of angle welded together back to back, then set into the Hegel block base.
            Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
              I think the design of base needs to be updated. A bond beam will work fine if properly reinforced without the heavy angle iron supports. There is an element of overdesign that is not required in all situations. It can be overthought.

IMHO
              G'day
              Yes the FB plans are a bit of overkill, but they were conceived to take in frost heave and earthquakes which are the Nth American experience. It seems that the block and 75 mm power panel is shaping up to be the Aust alternative in terms of cost and ease of build.
              But.... On the other side of the coin, my oven has grown somewhat from the 160 odd firebricks of its original dome construction. I would not even guess on how many bricks are now in its structure now. That was only possible because I knew the stand would handle it.
              As for the forum rewriting the plans .....James has long ago left it up to the forum, there would be a few hurt egos on that path
              The Aussies have a section .... Let's use it ...local conditions ....local knowledge

Regards
              Dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Well I've been thinking and I've come up with a plan which I think we will be going ahead with (drawn to scale)

Going to use mortared finished Blocks (like my last build) and thinking of going with these:
                Masonry Blocks South Queensland - GB Honed from Austral Masonry

Honed Nickel.

The main WFO structure #1 will be 1.4mx1.4m in a U shape and going with a concrete suspended slab. Apart from the size it will be the same as my last build but I am also bricking up higher and filling the interior area with Hebel and then tiling over the top with a flush finish to the deck as planned.
                The other bench area #2 will be Hebel panel and going to tile the top and sides to finish it.

I have decided to go this route since I had already anchored that reo bar in the concrete which I don't want to cut off and if I am doing blocks I might as well use the GB masonry ones so I don't have to render.
                I am going with the concrete slab again as the Hebel would need to be custom sized and require at least 3 lintels - in short it won't end up saving me any money and would be less structurally sound.

structure #3 will have the BBQ sitting on top of it and structure #4 is just two columns of block supporting the granite bench.

The outdoor table area will be below the granite bench area and below that is the entry door to inside.

Oh and the 'gym' is just my bench press and we're looking at putting up a trellis just below that area and growing something (Hedera helix perhaps?) up it to cover off that part.
                Last edited by applor; 08-12-2014, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Sounds like it's all sorted. Lookin forward to seeing the photos.

Am a little disappointed as i was hoping to see some more hebel in use.
                  Never mind I have a second build coming in a couple of years. Will go the same route again.
                  Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-12-2014, 03:30 AM.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

G'day
                    This time you're prepared for that slab. This time you'll stick your spade in that cement and shake the liven s@it out of it . Tap the side supports with a hammer and that puppy wil be as smooth as the baby's bum.
                    You have been the other path... Please some pics and explainations for those who come after you. Your the local slab expert now:cool
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                      Sounds like it's all sorted. Lookin forward to seeing the photos.

Am a little disappointed as i was hoping to see some more hebel in use.
                      Well it's more or less decided but not sorted yet

I am also disappointed that using Hebel isn't the best option for this build as it does offer a lot of benefits.
                      If I hadn't anchored those 5 reo bars I probably would have gone all Hebel.

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                        G'day
                        This time you're prepared for that slab. This time you'll stick your spade in that cement and shake the liven s@it out of it . Tap the side supports with a hammer and that puppy wil be as smooth as the baby's bum.
                        You have been the other path... Please some pics and explainations for those who come after you. Your the local slab expert now:cool
                        Regards dave
                        Yes definitely live and learn in that regard Won't make that mistake again.

From now on I think I will be posting when I have actual progress to report on and will show my journey to you all. Since I am using the same technique as last time I shouldn't have any questions.
                        I am considering doing the block laying myself this time though

Thanks fellas!

Comment

Just a quick update though no actual progress yet. Just wanted to share my updated plan (attached).
                          Just need to decide on a brick style/plan with the wife, then I can order the blocks and begin. I will be doing the block laying myself.
                          Also have been busy building a new front door for the house (1200 wide + side light)

Comment

Hey guys,

Could use some advice from the brickies amongst us.

I laid a fair portion of my blocks yesterday. Let me tell you what a pain and if I had to start again I'd pay a pro - new respect for you guys.

I am overall happy with the result so far. Some mortar joins are a bit small but otherwise its quite level and solid.

My problem is cleaning off the excess mortar around the joins. Last WFO build the brickie let it dry and then the excess just brushed off.
                            However for mine its either not dried properly or its too thick or something.

Take a look at the attached photo.

Have I screwed up? Should I have wiped it down with a cloth or something asap (I don't recall the brickie doing this though).

Comment

G'day
                              Wiping them down with a damp cloth is nigh on impossible with cement block its pretty porous.
                              You might want to cut down the water in mud it appears to be soaking into the block. Add a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid to the mix to compensate and make it workable only a teaspoon to the barrow load though.
                              A quick scrape with the trowel when first layed then leave it till the mortars going off till you brush off any other bits. A piece of hose pipe run over the joints at this stage will smooth off the joints.
                              I find this really easy to write when I find it hard to do myself even after seeing it done a million times .Do your best I'm sure it will turn out
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once

My Build
                              My Door

Comment

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the reply and some of my mortar did end up being a bit wet.
                                I will make sure I leave it drier for my next run.
                                I used a brickies jointer on the mortar joints, they're good.

Any advice on how to clean those areas now? It's been a day so maybe I need to do the acid + water blend and scrub it off?

edit: just read a guide saying to let it harden, chip off excess then soak with water and brush off with cleaning solution. Will give that a go at some stage then.
                                Last edited by applor; 09-14-2014, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X