X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WFO built into retaining wall

Originally posted by softy View Post
    hi Wozza
    my oven is getting tested out tonight here in Sydney, got plenty of rain about.
    You're right there. My garden is under water at the moment. Thankfully stopped now. If your oven survives this sort of downpour then I reckon you're sweet.

So heavy that it has been running straight over the gutter on my deck and I get this cool Matrix effect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	468.3 KB
ID:	306400
    Last edited by Wozza; 10-14-2014, 04:35 AM.

Comment

just checked the temperature of my oven, sitting at 82 degrees, she got used on Sunday for Bathurst 1000, my herbs copped a battering from last nights storm. so I'd say she is dry as a bone, pretty happy with that, I recommend silasec by bondall, easy to use and not that expensive from bunnings.

Comment

Nice oven!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

Softy, have you considered burying it under 18" of vermiculite and topsoil for insulation and planting basil and other spices right on top?
          Last edited by Lancer; 10-18-2014, 08:09 PM.

Comment

G'day
            I was just wondering how the oven is getting on. You certainly did a lot of sealing and Im interested in how it turned out
            Regards dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

g'day Dave
              all is going well with the oven. I fire it up twice a week.
              pizza's are great, neighbours are loving it, the herb garden has taken off, my habanero's are extreme.
              the kids love my roast chicken, they even set up instagram and post the things i cook in it.

structurally all seems good, all my waterproofing seems to be working well, i know when my garden has enough water, drainage is working well.

i only have one crack but that came about when i layed the front arch (for the third time) and i head butted one of the bricks which made it a weak point, i wasn't going to do it a fourth time.
              when i get a chance i will post some latest picks
              cheers

Comment

G'day
                It's great to hear back from you. I'm glad your ovens waterproofing is holding up well. There aren't many ovens out there that have a herb garden built on them!
                Funny to hear the kids have taken to your baked chicken, you'd think that pizza would be thier favoured food.
                Remember talking about basil? Well mines a disaster at the moment. We're having constant showers and the seeds must have got washed out of the pot and are coming up in the lawn. Transferred as many as I can back. Pretty interesting smell when you cut that section of grass
                It be good to see a pic of your oven in full bloom so to speak.
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once

My Build
                My Door

Comment

herb/vege garden looking healthy.
                  I still haven't finished all my landscaping, I need to concrete the entertaining area, paint the retaining walls and do some tiling around the food prep area.

Comment

my kids have set up instagram and occasionally post pics of what we cook.
                    TOMS_WOOD_FIRED_OVEN

Comment

I had an accident recently with the axe. I can't load the photo of me stitched up but an opened wound photo is a smaller file but not sure if it is appropriate to post.lol

Comment

G'day Softley
                        You don't realize how sorry I am to hear that.
                        Trust me I know something of how you feel.
                        Mine was docking wood with a drop saw for firewood.
                        Its been 3 years of healing now, and I'm as healed as I'm ever going to be.
                        Everyone thinks of the pain but there are worse things.
                        I'm over the other things too. The embarrassment of being the "weekend warrior' and damaging myself. The indignities of not being able to do the simple things in life. I don't think that figuring out how to shower one handed with a plastic bag on the other to be something you have to really have to experience in life. The lingering trauma as well, I'll never really know what happened. Shock does that. The safety blade cover was found jammed up on that saw. But that's not the full story. How didn't I notice that? How did my hand get underneath the blade, Palm up? I just have to except I'll never know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1003 (640x480).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	307276

I have the Gory Pic as well. Rather post this taken this morning. Its a battered but functional hand. Those are native bee hives in the background I'm building... yes and with a power saw.
                        Yes you have the right to feel angry and embarrassed. I still do to some degree. But shit things happen to good people. Its not fair, but it happens.
                        Regards Dave
                        PM me if you wish. If you don't want my post on your build thread say so and I'll remove it
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once

My Build
                        My Door

Comment

That's a nasty one. I learnt that a drop saw is not suitable for cutting branches after it kicked about three times on me. Will never use it again for any timber that has not been milled. Maybe that should go in the safety thread.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Wow that does look nasty. Mine is minor compared to yours. I didn't look at what I done till the misses got me to hospital. I expected the worse but hoped for the best. I got 10 stitches around my thumb. I learnt a lesson, lately been a bit cockey with the chainsaw, gotta pay more attention to safety.
                            It happened more than 2 months ago and it is still sore, I struggle to lay bricks but need to push on.

Comment

The positive is your hand is functional, could have been a lot worse.

Comment

The most pain comes when I am chopping ingredients for pizza.
                                It went in deep the axe stopped right at the bone. I was really lucky that tats all I done

Comment

Working...
                                X