Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best aussie wood???

Hi guys
    Just thought I would kick off this new section with a question for us aussies.
    Fire wood has been discussed often in the main forum, but it would be intresting to see what wood we use on this side of the globe. Over here in WA, we have a couple of good hard woods like jarrah, and silver gum, and softer woods with good flavour like Bankshia. While the hard woods leave alot of coals and a bit of a black residue...bankshia burns away to a soft white powder, but doesnt produce the heat like hard woods do with out using a lot more wood. What do you guys in the east use and what gives the best results/taste when cooking in your WFO???

Scott

Re: Best aussie wood???

This topic is already a well discussed sticky in the main forum and includes detailed info on a number of Australian hardwoods: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...-wood-908.html

It was my understanding that the regional forums were simply an additional section which would be used for meets, gatherings and activities related to a local WFO community.

Perhaps James can clarify the purpose of this new section and the guidelines for its use.
    / Rossco

Comment

Thanks Rossco...and sorry, I didnt realise there was a thread on aussie wood. Also didnt realise this forum wasn't for Australians talking about Australian related issues and ideas...so sorry once again.

Scott

Comment

The best wood is free wood. Any old rubbish wood will burn, but save a few chunks of really good dense hardwood for the last third of your firing.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi tree loves,
          I use a variety, but am also a believer in using dried timbers from winter pruning, these can add great final burn off smoky flavours. I talking about olive tree, lavender, rosemary, thyme branches that are often disguarded.
          However more specific to heat I often source out companies that reuse very old timbers from building like churches and old schools, such as hard wood flooring off cuts, oregan beams etc the timber is usually free and burns a lot hotter than many timbers a year or so old. If not red gum is another as is eucalyptus.
          Good luck

Comment

That sounds good porto...i am just about to prune down my lime tree...so I might save the branches and leaves for the WFO!!! A mate of mine from work was talking about his oven the other day and said he uses any wood he can get a hold of. He doesnt pay for wood...so he uses old pallets, old floor boards, ect ect. Dont know if this would really be good to burn because of the possible chemicals in the wood. I dont think it would be...1 good for the oven and 2 good for the food in the oven. I would imagine that it would leave a residue on the oven walls and floor and make your food taste like crud! Does anyone else burn timber like this...and is it a good idea to use them or just stick to normal fire wood???

Comment

Originally posted by scottz View Post
              so he uses old pallets, old floor boards,
              Most pallets and floor boards have been treated with something to stop them from deteriorating.

So not really good to cook with..
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

At least you will be guaranteed of have pizzas that are free of termites and borer beatles...
                / Rossco

Comment

Hi guys,

I find that the best oven wood is falled grey box from the forest floor. If you can get it just as the white ants are starting to munch it is fantastic. I use redgum sleeper offcuts also but I find them not hot enough and very smoky. They leave the least mess of all the hardwoods though. I wont't use pallets but if I see an old hardwood fence being pulled down better not get in my way because old semi rotten wood is best by far

Comment

i use hardwood from my work ....kiln dried f27 off cuts works a treat and gets the heat in pretty easy

Comment

Originally posted by JMT View Post
                      Hi guys,

I find that the best oven wood is falled grey box from the forest floor. If you can get it just as the white ants are starting to munch it is fantastic. I use redgum sleeper offcuts also but I find them not hot enough and very smoky. They leave the least mess of all the hardwoods though. I wont't use pallets but if I see an old hardwood fence being pulled down better not get in my way because old semi rotten wood is best by far
                      be very careful using sleepers or fence pailings as they can be treated and can get you pretty crook if burnt

if theres a trussplant near you? you can usualy get timber offcuts for free in summer hardwood is pretty easy to get but winter the guys keep it for firewood

theres always prenty off pine for kindeling just keep away from treated

Comment

Hi All, has anyone used Black Wattle?
                        I'm told it's pretty plentiful over here on the East Coast and that it burns extremely hot.
                        Any thoughts.
                        Nod

Comment

you can use just about any wood just dont use traeted fence painlings or sleepers also old railway sleepers are great nurners but they sometime get coated in oil to treat them

Comment

Hi all
                            Flashed up the oven this arvo to cook a couple of chooks and as the fire burnt I thought to myself what about the fronds off the Golden cane, would it burn?
                            Burn...... those puppies go up like a bomb! When you live with those things dropping fronds all the time this is the Best thing in the world to get rid of them. so I spent 1/2 hour cutting them into WFO lenghts and feeding them in.
                            Not a primary source of fuel but a great way to get rid of them usefully.

Regards Dave
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once
                            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                            My Door
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

A mate of mine has 50 acres of black wattle, a bit of gum ( what sort I dunno) and termite mounds. I left the termite mounds, but today I fired up with whatever I found that didn't have too many termites in it. The dome got white, and it didn't smoke any more than usual on the start up and was a hell of a lot easier cutting up wrist thick diameter branches than having to split big blocks of firewood.

Considering it costs about $100 around here for a load of unidentified mystery hardwood firewood, Ima gonna keep going with the black wattle/gum.

Comment

Working...
                              X