Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to the new Canada Regional Forum

Hello to all of our northern neighbors,

Due to the fact that a number of members have asked for a regional forum, we have made available this new forum for all of Canada. Thank you to Fornax hominus for being the proverbial straw that got this up and running. We welcome everyone to this forum and hope to hear from all of you very soon.
    This is a great way to get to know your neighbors for years to come.

Cheers,
    Forno Bravo
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Welcome to the new Canada Regional Forum

Thanks, James, for setting this up. As a fornoholic, I'm building #2 on Vancouver Island, trying to improve on #1 in Calgary. The forums are always a tremendous help.

Comment

Thanks James for setting up this forum.

I am interested to see who else has a WFO in my neck of the woods. I already know That's Amore. But who else is in the Sudbury Ontario area with a WFO or considering building one?

Maybe we can organize WFO dinner parties?????
      Live life like you're dying....without going bankrupt

Comment

Though I do not live near you, I have recently completed my brick pizza oven. Last night was pizza night, the pizza was amazing, I stated that all the long hours and hard work weret, certainly worth it.

I would like to make bread in my oven today, I need to purchase another thermometer to regulate the heat, do you have any tips on the bread making?

Comment

Hello Country Living,

I just started baking bread this year and still a newbie at it. I just started baking what I liked to eat. I first tried Foccaccia which turned out good but I found it messy to work with and since my WFO is at my cottage/camp I don't want to spend a lot of time cleaning up a mess. Lately I have been baking french baguettes which are turning out very well. I tried to find the recipe I used on the net for you, however could not find that particular one again. I attached a couple of pics of my last batch.

The one tip I did learn with baking bread is to keep the oil you use to coat the bowls for letting the dough to rise to a very minumum is you like your bread with a crispy crust.

I do read alot of articles and books on baking in a WFO and they all recommend baking large batches of bread to keep the humidity level high in the oven. So the next time I will be baking baguettes it will be a huge batch.

Cheers.

Comment

Thanks for setting up the regional forum.
            I was wondering if there were anymore wfo in Newfoundland?
            I know of a few commercial and few historic ovens but anyone on here have a personal one?

Comment

On Vancouver Island.
              I need to find out how many bricks are needed in a 42 inch dome?
              Foundation & concrete structure floor just poured. Waiting for first floor to cure before moving on to hearth. Vermiculite mix the only way to go? Does vermiculite really break down that much when using a mixer? Can hardly wait to have the finished oven.

Thanks.
              Donald

Comment

Hi Cobbe hill

On Page 67 of the FB plans it states 65 for the floor and 135 for the dome. I ordered 220 and at the end of constructing the dome I was short 4 bricks. So I purchased 6 more so that I have a couple of spares. So for me it was 224 bricks for a 42" high dome oven.

I can't help you on you on you vermiculite question I used the FB board it was easier to install and my oven retains good heat for days.

Good luck on your build.

Comment

Hand mix vcrete in wheel barrow, mixer too tough on mix.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for the answers. Will check out FB Board. Have many pictures of the project and will post when it is up and running. Am sure I will have more questions.
                    Donald
                    Cobble Hill

Comment

Hi everyone.... I really don't know how Forums work let alone building a WFO. The reason for joining this forum is to get some insight before starting my adventure of building a pompeii oven in my back yard. I have no questions at this point but will over the next few months. My plan is to start building the oven in the spring. I live in wine country, Niagara on the Lake. If there is anyone in my area that has built one I would be interested in hearing from you.

Comment

Hello fellow pizza lovers from Calgary,

Been wanting to build a pizza oven for several years now (found this site a few years back). Looking to start planning my WFO build this year. I'll be scouring this forum for information, tips, and ideas.

If mine works out, I have two friends that want version 2 & 3 at their houses

Looking forward to sharing with you all!
                        David
                        David in Calgary
                        My Build Thread

Comment

Hi,
                          Who sells WFO ovens in Vancouver? I don't really trust my skills when it comes to building one. I also need some advice on which model to choose. I planning on making 1 or 2 pizza's at a time and I would also like to bake artisan bread. Thanks. Tom

Comment

Hi all. Been lurking and browsing and using the FB forum this year as we built our WFO here in Calgary. One of the biggest challenges was sourcing supplies so I'll share our sources. We got lucky with firebrick - $1 per brick through a couple Kijiji deals, I-XL and Burnco both had them around $5/brick. Ceramic fibreboard and fibre wool came from Inproheat in Edmonton - we had a friend who was able to pick it up and deliver it to us, saving us the $150 delivery charge. Heat Stop mortar came from Brock-White. We finished our WFO with natural stone left over from when we put it on the house so we got Type S mortar for that through I-XL, and Keralastic mortar additive from Rona. Hope that saves a bit of searching for some other ambitious canuck!

Comment

Its great to see a Canada regional forum; 4 years ago i built a 42" pompeii by surfing around the forums, never signed up till now, theres a great wealth of info on these forums, i planned very carefully and did all my research, wasn't sure if i would be able to build this thing, but if i can build 1/2 mil$ molds i could do this and i did, i shocked my self in how well the dome turned out, of course theres a lot of over engineering, the food is amazing especially the pizza i will post pics soon

Comment

Working...
                              X