Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naperville, IL code. Foundation question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Naperville, IL code. Foundation question.

My experience was pretty good.

I had the inspector at the house. He took a look at what I planned to do, stated that since the slab wasn't attached to the house or any structure, since I was removing an old stone patio and replacing it with poured concrete, and that the oven qualified as a "barbeque", I didn't need a permit. :-D

Comment

I'd say you handled that very well. Congratulations!
      Its good to see some sense exercised in your case. Did he have any additional advice?

Originally posted by Cheesehead View Post
      My experience was pretty good.

I had the inspector at the house. He took a look at what I planned to do, stated that since the slab wasn't attached to the house or any structure, since I was removing an old stone patio and replacing it with poured concrete, and that the oven qualified as a "barbeque", I didn't need a permit. :-D
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

No real advice except to try to be helpful & not hostile.

He was at the house & I was working with him because we were redoing a bathroom that had to be stripped down to the studs. The guy was real up-front and very helpful, giving me lots of "do's" and "don'ts" and good suggestions with the bathroom... we needed his help because the space is only 5' x 8' with windows and doors placed in weird places.

While he was in, I took him out in the backyard and showed him what we wanted to do - remove an old limestone patio that had decayed, remove an old woodburning BBQ, pour a 15' x 25' patio slab and put up a woodburning oven in the corner. He's a former contractor so I asked him for suggestions. He asked me who was doing the slab & some details on it, and then told me that so long as I didn't a) connect it to a structure or b) wire it or add gas heating, I didn't need a permit.

(I've heard through the grapevine, though, that if you build something and don't ask first with an attitude of "I don't need a stinkin' permit", this guy will come down HARD.)

FWIW, the slab is 4" with 1' of reinforced concrete on the edge. I'm on an old sand bar, so drainage is pretty good.

Comment

Like every profession, they bad ones give them all a bad reputation. Glad to here you've had a good experience.
          Sad to say, we still have an ass in my town. Homeowners, contractors, new business owners...he is a prick to everyone. I know of 2 contractors who refuse to do work in our town because of the BS permits, inspections, and fines. I honestly believe he is the largest revenue stream for the city. Everyone gets a stop work order and a fine at some point in every project.
          Most recent example is a young, newly married couple who just moved in around our circle. They decided to remove a small oak tree (and I was to be the beneficiary of the wood), cut off all of the upper branches and didn't know what to do. I offered to cut down the remainder, MR. Code Enforcement got there before I did with my saw, issued a stop work and fined them for not pulling a tree removal permit. They now have a $150 fine, still need to pull a permit (another $45), and have him inspect when finished. All for the removal of an ornamental sized oak tree (maybe 10" trunk diameter and 15' tall).
          Its absurd that you can't remove any tree over 6" diameter OR replace your toilet/faucet/sink without pulling a permit.
          OK, I'm done venting and yes, I'm pissed because my future firewood is now in limbo.

RT

Comment

RT- I understand about the tree permit. I am an arborist in California and we have many rules. I depends on the city, but rules are rules, you can't take out a protected tree with out some sort of oversite. People know (your neighbors) when you are removing a tree in your neighborhood. I know it sucks, but it's a big deal if your neighbor removes a big tree that separates 2 houses.

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X