Italian Citizenship By jure sanguinis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian Citizenship By jure sanguinis

Anybody have Italian parent(s), grandparent(s), great grandparent(s)? If the conditions are right, you may be an Italian citizen by right by blood (jure sanguinis).

I found out I was an Italian citizen through my mother's side. Her father immigrated to the US with his family when he was 2 years old (born in Italy to Italian citizen parents). The catch on these type of deals is when they were Naturalized. In my situation, my mother was born before my grandfather was Naturalized...so his Italian citizenship was passed to my mother and from my mother to me. If they were Naturalized before children were born, they gave up their Italian citizenship upon Naturalization and therefore no passing of Italian citizenship to the next generation. There are a few other exclusions also.

Italy only recognizes citizenship by blood (jure sanguinis)...you can be born in Italy and not be a citizen. You are a citizen only if one of your parents was a citizen...and it doesn't matter if you were born there or not.

I sent off to Italy for my grandfather's birth certificate, and about 6 weeks later, there it was in the mail box. I still haven't finished the process of getting it officialized and getting my EU passport, but I'm on it.

Here is the basic outline for qualifying:

Citizenship By Birth
    If you were born in the United States you may also be considered an Italian citizen if any one of the situations listed below pertains to you:

1) your father was an Italian citizen at the time of your birth and you never renounced your right to Italian citizenship;

2) your mother was an Italian citizen at the time of your birth, you were born after January 1, 1948 (and before April 27, 1965) and you never renounced your Italian citizenship;

3) your paternal grandfather was an Italian citizen at the time of your father's birth and neither you nor your father ever renounced your Italian citizenship;

4) your maternal grandmother was an Italian citizen at the time of your mother's birth, your mother was born after January 1, 1948 and neither you nor your mother ever renounced your rights to Italian citizenship.

Note:
    Citizenship can not be passed down from anybody naturalized before July 1, 1912. This rule previously overlooked is now being enforced by some consulates.

Here is a forum that was very helpful:

ItalianGenealogy.com Forums Home
Working...
X