X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archena
    replied
    Re: ***Ashes To Ashes***

Nothing to apologize for - I just found the mixed quote confusing.

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

having some uploading difficulties here
    had to try 3 times to post a pic on the gasifier thread I started ...

Sorry arch

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

You run out of quote tags or something?

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Can't get enough, already
    Mossville, Welcome to the club......
    ash is really good at deodorizing trash cans in an outhouse helped
    I knew there had to be some uses for this stuff

Im gonna go bake some glazed pottery in my oven, ash the garden, compost pile, snow,, litter box and outhouse, make some lye for soap,, then maybe pretzels....
    Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Given the propensity of spider bites in outhouses, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing...

Leave a comment:

• Fish Wheels
    replied

In days gone by, ashes in an outhouse helped lower the odor. But if the ashes where not cold you would end up with more ashes

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Welcome aboard, Adam!

Found a new use today - ash is really good at deodorizing trash cans. I have both a kennel and a cattery (private) and Hefty isn't always all that hefty. Those big trash carts are nearly impossible to deodorize, but the ashes from the leaf pile did it.

Leave a comment:

• Mossville
    replied

Some potters use ash as an ingredient in their glazes. I believe it needs to be clean, sifted or just burned thoroughly. The color develops in part to the type of hardwood being burned.

Just joined FB and have only being using my WFO for two weeks now. Baked nine loaves of sourdough yesterday and then slow roasted some pork butt overnight to pull for sandwiches.

Can't get enough, already.

Adam

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Bavarian pretzels are dipped in a soda/lye solution (had to look that one up). Most aren't. Egg washes and double bakes seem common.

But at least one source I found mentioned stone hearth baking. Create a new source of lye as you bake!
    Last edited by Archena; 10-11-2009, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Aren't pretzels boiled in a food-grade lye solution? Maybe the make-your-own-lye-from-wood-ash solution would complete the mystical oven cycle.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Here in SWVA, the soil can't hold its lime for nothin'. This in spite of being smack on top of some large limestone deposits. Go figure. I think a judicious amount of ashes in the compost heap will be fine here, but that doesn't take care of next year's ashes... maybe we'll get a lot of snow and I can use some up on the ice. It does work pretty well and I'd rather use that than salt.

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Can't help you on the ice issue. In Alabama we have well behaved snow - only shows up once every few years and only stays for the day.

You might have a shot at some super pink hydrangeas... or is alkali for blue?

Leave a comment:

• jmhepworth
    replied

Out here in the West putting the ashes on the garden is a really bad idea. We have alkaline soil as it is. I just dump it in the trash (after making really sure its not still hot).

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

ok did a little research and came up with the following.
    Fertilizer

Ash contains potash (potassium carbonate), phosphate, iron, manganese, boron, copper and zinc and can be quite beneficial as a natural fertilizer... sometimes. Wood ash increases the pH or alkalinity of soil, so use sparingly. I made the mistake of applying a stack of it in an area full of limestone - and guess what else is in ash - lime (calcium oxide). It wasn't the smartest move and I don't think anything will be growing there for a while. Black charcoal is a little different in that it has a much higher ratio of carbon - so this can be used more liberally.

Cleaning

Dip a damp rag into ash and use to clean silverware, brass and glass. Ash added to a scourer can also give your scouring a bit more oomph.

No great stuff,, they did also say it makes a great ice melter, I dont know that I would be wanting to track it thru the house though,,,,

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

"Kinda" doesn't begin to cover it. Lye is very caustic so play carefully.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X