X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jas.
    replied
    Re: Just another Aussie Oven

Thats an awsome job Hughness! hope to see what else you can do, plenty of time to search ideas in this forum for a nice finish to your wfo.
    All the aussies here have mostly the igloo shape, i am planning on a complete enclosure like a big kiln i spose , look forward to more pics.
    go aussie's.

Leave a comment:

• Millstone Man
    replied

Great looking brick work. That is an impressive arch and dome.

Leave a comment:

• Huhness
    replied

finally took delivery of the missing flue arch bricks thursday last week.

The Flue arch is a pain in the arse to put up! The front 6 bricks just kept getting knocked out while the insulation (Which is also a huge pain, literally! Tiny fibres stuck in your hands HURT! I learnt to wear gloves the hard way..) So waited until insulation and first coat of render were done then finished the flue arch which was difficult because i'd become stressed and annoyed at it!! (For some reason none of the Field Furnace flue arch templates suited my door even though it was the once specified in the instructions! They were either too high or wide.. sorted it out myself in the end..)

But i'm very pleased with the result!

Just one last coat of render and then mounting the flue when my hat arrives. (No one on the central coast stocks 8" hats.. And the 1 place that makes them isn't running until late Jan! Oh well!)

Leave a comment:

• Worb
    replied

Looks good Hughness. The only way to do it is to just stop thinking and talking and planning and just bloody do it.

After 3 years of thinkng and talking and planning I finally did my WFO, and now I regret not doing it sooner. She's a beuaty, you should be proud of your efforts.

Leave a comment:

• Huhness
    replied

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
    Looking good! I'd trade you hands if I could be as far along as you

You are making it look easy.
    Lol thanks!

The flue is missing because there were 4 bricks missing from the kit. Waiting for them to be delivered.

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

Where is the flue?

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Looking good! I'd trade you hands if I could be as far along as you

You are making it look easy.

Leave a comment:

• Huhness
    replied

And the first firing of the oven! Just a small fire with some heat beads which I spead out on the floor once they were going. I'll do this a few more times before throwing on the insulation blanket and render.

And a picture of my broken hands.. That will teach me for being a button pusher!

Still waiting on some missing flue arch bricks which were forgotten to be put in the oven kit from field furnace. The guys there are great and sending them to me on the central coast at their cost. You dont see service like this much anymore

Leave a comment:

• Huhness
    replied

And finally the fun part!

Having never laid a brick in my entire life, I think I did alright

Leave a comment:

• Huhness
    replied

Some more pictures of the hearth.

Leave a comment:

• Huhness
    replied
    Making the stand and hearth

Making the stand was simple with the concrete blocks but without the concrete truck mixing 20 bags to fill the cores sucked! Thats why we just rented a mixer for the 35 bags it took for the hearth slab...

Leave a comment:

• Huhness
    started a topic Just another Aussie Oven :D

Just another Aussie Oven :D

Well after 2 years of lurking on here and alot of "I'm gonna..." it all started with a hole in the backyard which for me meant no turning back now... and the rest was alot of hard yakka!

So for my first post, it is my first attempt at a slab and the start of my hatred for concrete..
Working...
X