• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taahir
    replied
    Re: My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA

Hi,

Thinking of building a similar looking oven, based in Cape Town. Where did you source your materials from? Struggling to find suppliers this side of the world.

Leave a comment:

• Outeniqua
    replied

Hi guys

It has been some time since I last visited the forum. Herewith some feedback after using this oven for the last year.

If I had to start this build again I would change only two things that I would like to share with all the prospective builders out there.

Most importantly I would raise the level of the oven floor by about 40cm (16"). I am 6ft4" tall and the higher floor level would make for easier loading of pizzas etc. I have seen other ovens with a raised floor and really think this would be a great improvement.

Secondly, I would not go to all the trouble of installing an oven light. Although my light works beautifully when clean, the smoke and soot dirties the bulb almost immediately. I have to say that one burning log on the coals provide more that enough light. I actually removed the light that I installed for this very reason.

Other than that I would not change a thing - these ovens are really amazing and we use it extensively for baking pizzas, bread, slow roasts etc.

Regards

Abrie

Leave a comment:

• Outeniqua
    replied

Unfortunately not. That area will now be black because of the smoke exiting the chimney.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Awesome thanks but what i mean was a picture installed in place under the arch

Leave a comment:

• Outeniqua
    replied

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
    Awesome, is all i can say. What a great place to hang out. I love it. Would you happen to have pictures of that light installed in place? Thats a great idea. What did you do to make sure it doesn't get affected by the heat from the oven. Thanks.

Hi V-Wiz.
    Have a look at posts 12, 14 and 15 of this thread which shows the installation and where the brick sits in the outer arch. Post 21 shows the electrical wire that runs through the brick and then immediately over the ceramic fire blanket over the dome. I also wrapped the light fitting and wire in a layer of ceramic fire blanket and taped that with masking tape. This can be seen in some of the pics. I figured that because the brick sits in the outer arch and on the other side of my fire break this should do the trick - so far so good. I have to say that you really do not need the light when baking pizzas because the coals give more than enough light to see properly. You are more than welcome to contact me should you require more help.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Awesome, is all i can say. What a great place to hang out. I love it. Would you happen to have pictures of that light installed in place? Thats a great idea. What did you do to make sure it doesn't get affected by the heat from the oven. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Fish Whisperer
    replied

Originally posted by Outeniqua View Post
    After some alterations to my braai room I finally put the finishing touches to my oven and covered the plaster coat with texture paint. Here are some pics of the finished product.

The oven is absolutely awsesome!! Thank you very much to everybody who contributed to this build by posting on this wonderful site.
    Excellent !!!!!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Very nice looking peels. The blackwood has a lot of depth to it compared to the peels I have. Congrats on the completion of the oven.

Leave a comment:

• Outeniqua
    replied

After some alterations to my braai room I finally put the finishing touches to my oven and covered the plaster coat with texture paint. Here are some pics of the finished product.

The oven is absolutely awsesome!! Thank you very much to everybody who contributed to this build by posting on this wonderful site.

Leave a comment:

• Outeniqua
    replied

Another one

Leave a comment:

• Outeniqua
    replied

I purchased a stainless steel pizza peel and decided to also try my hand at making one from solid cape blackwood (a beautiful wood indigenous to SA).

Here is a photo of my son holding one of two peels I made as well as the remaining piece of dried blackwood they were made from.

Leave a comment:

• heliman
    replied

The oven looks really great ... and the pizza lekker!

Leave a comment:

• Outeniqua
    replied

Since my last post we made our first pizzas. It was a roaring success. The first two pics shows the fire on pizza night. The oven heated beautifully. The second pic shows the first pizza - a creation of my son. I have to say that our first pizzas were way better than we expected the first attempt to be.

Two days later the oven cooled enough and I finished the plaster coat over the dome. The last pics show the plaster coat and also the effectiveness of my installed light. I have to say that I am really happy that I installed the light - it is really awesome. I cannot imagine having to hold a flashlight when cooking pizzas - how would I then be able to hold my beer?

Leave a comment:

• Pompeii7DC
    replied

Looks great. My brother in-law has some very similar to this, great choice IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Outeniqua
    replied

Since my last post I covered the dome with 3" of ceramic blanket, chicken wire and about 1" of vermicrete to serve as base for the final finish.

Here are some pics showing the progress. In the one photo the light switch cover can be seen - I will finish around this properly with the final plaster layer.

Lastly the dome will then be covered in a decorative CreteStone layer with a terra cotta oxide. At last beginning to see the final product!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X