X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dario
    replied
    Re: 48" brick oven from Melbourne

I've been drying oven for about 5 days now since Saturday, started very slow and slowly increasing temperature everyday.
    Sunday and Monday i had temperature about 100-150 during a day, over night oven cooled to starting temperature and Tuesday i start from 0c. Today oven temperature is about 200c, and will try maintaining 200-250 till tomorrow and then i will increase till 300c.
    Got the plastic over the oven and there is no condensation coming from the dome at the moment, is it possible the dome it's dry?
    We had nice weather since Sunday and i had my dome always uncovered during a day and over night i covered him with a tarp?
    I'm thinking of firing a first fire tomorrow to increase temp. till about 300c. Oh and i've got some big cracks 2-3mm on the outer Shiralite shell.
    What you guys think is it safe?

Thank you Dario

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Dario

During that time, I was cooking in the oven so don't waste the heat. But I went through around 2 dozen heat cooling cycles of many varied temperatures between 0 and 600c. Towards the end maintaining 500 for 8 hours.

As I said no cracks.

Leave a comment:

• Dario
    replied

Thank you Colin

Talk soon

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi again read my thread from page 70 that's around the time I started curing tempering oven finished end January.

Have Pm'd you
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-09-2014, 07:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Start with curing device you bought 2 smallest rings, all day, let cool. Increase number of rings over a week. Tempering is about heat cooling cycles. I did this for 2 complete 9kg bottles before lighting a fire.
    Remember you need a non melting hose or pipe fitted.

I will add my page reference on my thread later today.

The method I used has produced no cracks. Simply heating to temp slowly works but I feel tempering cycling through heat and cooling cycles conditions the oven more effectively.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-09-2014, 07:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dario
    replied

Colin i live in Hillside,

Don't worry about drying cure slowly at between 100c to 150c then 200c.
    Just keep increasing the temp.
    Should i still use gas burner or fire, can you explain it to me more in detail what should i do next please?
    Today when i finished applying Shiralite the bricks inside the dome got very wet it's going to be like yours long curing time ?...lol

Cheers Dario

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

No. Do the shiralite, black as net then just render. Then seal.

Look at my build. And curing throwing regime

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Dario

Where are you situated.

I have been talking with Mark for over 2 years.

Don't worry about drying cure slowly at between 100c to 150c then 200c.
    Just keep increasing the temp. I had 50mm later of shirilite.

Leave a comment:

• Dario
    replied

Thank you for all the feedback,

Yesterday went to purchase 5 bags of Shiralite at Sunshine, done half yesterday and today and it's finished.
    How long this staff will take to dry?
    Hoping to start curing oven on Saturday or Sunday, unfortunately we all have to many family commitments, stop as from doing what we like !
    After curing i should put blanket on and then render or another layer of Shiracast on the top of Blanket?

Cheers Dario

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day
    What you will find as the oven dries is a sudden spike in temps. You will have used the same amount of fuel but suddenly the oven gets hotter? Really fast.
    Its time to back off ... Real fast. Instead of the water content adsorbing the heat the inside surfaces are drying and are heating up. There will be still water on those outer reaches. Water that will heat and expand and crack if you let it.
    Back off, cut back the fuel, and tease the water out. Driving out will crack your dome. 1 ltre of water will expand to 1500 ltre of steam... If you let it
    Like Colin says add the shirilite layer now and dry it out with your dome then add you dry insulation .... And then you can take your oven to those higher temps
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Water was still coming out weeks later.put plastic over it when curing but take it off when you see moisture as the moisture end up back on the casing.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-05-2014, 07:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi Dario

Check my build out. Used similar went the Shiralite option first for a very good reason. And that was to lock the done and any potential blanket fibres getting through any cracks. With shiricast it will provide greater thermal mass,

I still struggle with the blanket then vetmicrete order, hence me using shirilite first. But in the end they all simply just work.

It was also recommended by a commercial furnace builder. So far it has worked a treat. I then cured/tempered this before putting the blanket on to ensure afl moisture was removed.

Putting blanket on first you have the problem of then getting the blanket really wet.

But if then rendering gets wet anyway. But not as much.

Just my 2 Bob's worth
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-05-2014, 08:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dario
    replied

Thank you Steve for pointing that out, no Shiracast. Blanket on once it's dry.
    I'm starting curing oven tomorrow or Thursday and will follow what Dave have suggested. Start nice and slowly and today Ive got 16kg of heat beads from bunnings it was on special $22.

Cheers Dario

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Hey Dario - Just my .02 worth but I wonder how much improvement to the performance of the oven the Shiracast will make or if it is necessary at all. I just went with the blanket over the brick then vermicrete on top of that and then a render/stucco layer followed by an acrylic coating.

If the Shircast is going to seal the brick then you would be best to get the water out of your dome before applying it if you go down that track.

I did fill the gaps in between the bricks of the dome with home brew mortar as I built it and that left it relatively smooth before the blanket went on.

I agree with Dave that there are two processes involved being drying and curing the oven.

Good luck with it. I thought that my build was fairly quick but yours is about to touch warp speed.

Leave a comment:

• Dario
    replied

Thank you Dave,
    Don't know should i put Shiracast now or just to put blanket on the top once i finish curing?
    People seems to have identical outcome, reading other builds there is no right or wrong way?
    I've got gas burner today and i am ready for curing but just need to decide how am i going to finish the oven, blanket straight to brick work or Shiracast then blanket then Shiracast again and then render.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030636.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	304216

Colin seems the gas burner worked well ?

Cheers Dario

Leave a comment:

Working...
X