X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dario
    replied
    Re: 48" brick oven from Melbourne

This is where i got up to in last few days, I've been working my ?ss of to get the dome done, and now i need to concentrate on front arch and chimney.
    I've got few questions should i put 2 layer of ceramic blanket straight on the dome or i should add extra mass, like a layer 50mm of shiracast Cement to my dome first and then blanket and than another 50 or 100mm Shiracast cement and sand?
    Can i leave my dome exposed to any rain now or should be covered?
    Any advice how can i finish the front arch and chimney, would be appreciated? Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030595.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	304096
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030596.jpg
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	304097
    The angle got so bad on the 5th course of the dome,it come to a point where i got worried that everything will collapse bit it didn't.

Name:	P1030601.jpg
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	304098
    Then i pack some sand to get the dome closed.

Name:	P1030607.jpg
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	304099

Name:	P1030609.jpg
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	304100

Name:	P1030615.jpg
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	304101
    Can i shave some bricks with angle grinder inside the dome there is some bricks which are sticking out a little to make a look nice or just ignore?
    Cheers Dario

Leave a comment:

• Dario
    replied

Do you have permission from your local council to build so close to your boundary fence? Where I live we are required to build 1.5 m away from any boundary fence, otherwise a complaining neighbour could force you to dismantle all your hard work.
    I talk to a council and they say to me to get statutory dec.signed by my me and my neighbour, to be safe for the future, lake you say you never know once they change they mind hehehe..
    In the #4 photo of your rebuild, it may be an optical illusion to me, but are the solders leaning inward somewhat? If so, are you planning a headstart on the horizontal travel of the Dome? Looking Good!
    First Solders course leaning a little inward just to get next course a little easier on a angle.

Free fuel would be nice.
    Cheers

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

well done Dario you wont regret it.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    G'day Davids
    The 1.5 rule is pretty much Australia wide.
    Post 31 and pic no 1 what do you think the ruling is for a naked flame from a petrol tanker would be:
    Regards dave
    Good point, maybe they both could be in trouble.
    With such a large oven Dario, perhaps you could drill a hole in the fence, rig up a line and "borrow" some of your neighbours fuel.
    Last edited by david s; 04-24-2014, 04:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Do you have permission from your local council to build so close to your boundary fence? Where I live we are required to build 1.5 m away from any boundary fence, otherwise a complaining neighbour could force you to dismantle all your hard work.
    G'day Davids
    The 1.5 rule is pretty much Australia wide.
    Post 31 and pic no 1 what do you think the ruling is for a naked flame from a petrol tanker would be:
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Leave a comment:

• felix
    replied

Dario,

In the #4 photo of your rebuild, it may be an optical illusion to me, but are the solders leaning inward somewhat? If so, are you planning a headstart on the horizontal travel of the Dome? Looking Good!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Atta boy, now your talking. Be sure to ask away with any questions, they are much easier to fix than after the fact.

Leave a comment:

• ATK406
    replied

Ahh Much better. Well done. Now you are on your way to a beautiful...and efficient! Wood Fired Oven. Sleep well.

Regards,
    AT

Leave a comment:

• Dario
    replied

Thank you for all your input for convincing me to pull everything down as i did today, and i am starting allover again this morning.
    It was hart breaking to destroy all my hard work i have done.
    I cleaned all the brick and will use it today, didn't cost me anything more, just a day full of work. hehehe
    Just before going to bed i will like to share few pictures with you guys what i have done today to guide me and support me during my build.

Thank you once again.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

These sources alluded me but I sussed them out and that allowed me to build the oven I did. Meeting my requirements to the letter and I sourced materials at go I'd process. Do it right and you won't regret it do it wrong and you will regret not listening.

I pulled mine down twice as it wasn't right.Don't settler on second best.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-24-2014, 06:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

I agree Russell.

Dario as I said Pm me and I will contact you and let you know all my sources for materials

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Acrigg,

The heat sink problem would still exist since the dome bricks are sitting on the sand too.

Dario,

I second and third that the rebuild will be much faster than the original build and in the long run the better oven performance will far outweigh the setback.

Leave a comment:

• Acrigg
    replied

Is it not possible just to pull up your fire brick layer and cut the board to fit?

How much of the dome have you built?

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Dario

PM me and I will let you know where to obtain. I live in werribee and work in the hillside area.there is a place in sunshine west.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X