Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Ireland with a budget project ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Ireland with a budget project ;)

Hi,
    I', Fran and I'm in the process of building a pizza oven on the cheap!
    I'm using a 40 gallon steel drum which I'm lining with firebrick which I sourced from a couple of old storage heaters. I'm using a mix of concrete, builders sand and hydrated lime for the mortar and am thinking of using a 5" steel chimney pipe leftover from a stove installation in my house. I plan to cover the whole thing first in aluminium hi tech insulation and then in attic insulation before covering in cement. I'll probably leave an air gap around this and build some sort of wooden shed with a roof to hide it.
    The whole thing will be hidden from view anyway, with just the door of the oven visible.
    So far the build cost is about 65 euro as I had a lot of stuff lying around after a renovation job on part of the house.
    Would love to hear other peoples input as I'm a complete newbie at oven building and have put this plan together from looking at this forum and from bits I found on the internet/pinterest
    Major concerns I have:
    Will the storage heater firebrick withstand the heat?
    -everywhere I read says yes but I can't be sure
    Is my mix right?
    -got the "recipe" from this forum so here's hoping
    Is my chimney the right size?
    is 5" too big or too small. should I put it at the back of the oven or the front? (thinking front)
    I am currently at the stage where the plinth the barrel will sit on is near completion and the back wall of the oven is in position. will have to get the oven up into position before laying the rest of the brick or it will be too heavy to lift!
Working...
X