Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brickie in oz
    replied
    Re: About to start and confused already!

Originally posted by hlcr View Post
    Also, is it recommended to use a fire-rated render over the insulated dome or can i use a normal render?
    If you need fire rated render over the insulation you have built it wrong.....

Leave a comment:

• hlcr
    replied

Thanks for all the tips! I went the angle irons in the end and had them adjusted at a steel fabricator - best $60 i spent )

Is there an optimum length for the chimney - does it depend on the size of the dome?
    Also, is it recommended to use a fire-rated render over the insulated dome or can i use a normal render?

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

will any $89 from the big green warehse do the job? or does it have to be more robust?
    You could just hack away at the top of the blockwork with a chisel, just aim the blows down the block not sideways.

Leave a comment:

• hlcr
    replied

will any $89 from the big green warehse do the job? or does it have to be more robust?

Leave a comment:

• hlcr
    replied

thanks, so you're all recommending I cut into the block rather than the angle iron - that's probably easier to do too...i''ll give it a go!

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    If you are talking about cutting the iron, they make a blade for your grinder. It throws off a ton of sparks but it cuts pretty easily.
    You'll lose all the strength of the angle iron if you remove bits off the sides. Better to recess it into the block work IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

so I got my angle irons - i know i'm supposed to take a piece off each side to make them sit flat on the blocks
    If you are talking about cutting the iron, they make a blade for your grinder. It throws off a ton of sparks but it cuts pretty easily.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

If you cut a groove into the block work with the diamond blade then you can just drop the angle iron into it. Allow a slight gap each end of the angle iron to allow for its expansion.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    An angle grinder and diamond grit blade will go through block like butter.
    Dusty but quick
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• hlcr
    replied

so I got my angle irons - i know i'm supposed to take a piece off each side to make them sit flat on the blocks - it seems a bit thick to do with a grinder probly take forever and a day! any other options? someone suggested i go to a forger? if you know of one in melbourne (i'm NW & 8ks from cbd) that would be great!

due to space issues i had to build a U shape with storage - we tend to get a lot of spiders, but apparently you can scare them away with citronella...will let you know if it works!
    Last edited by hlcr; 09-30-2013, 04:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• thickstrings
    replied

Also, for what its worth, I'd have to agree with Lburou. I was bitten by a Brown Recluse spider this spring while working on my oven, a 4 week adventure...so for me, filling up a chamber with wood and having all those nooks and crannies seem the perfect place for nasties to live. My base allready has the "wood hole" and I'll leave it, but, I'm not going to stock it with wood.....Plus one of my dogs seems to think its her house. This may not be a problem in your area.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

FWIW, because of the critter and reptile populations in my yard, we closed the space under the hearth. Looks better and no bending (I have back problems). We are happy with it that way.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

If you are a visual learner, (85% of us are), you might get some help at BA's Dome. Posts #10-12 show how to do what Les and Brickie are talking about. HTH
    Last edited by Lburou; 09-14-2013, 10:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Whichever way you go brick or block . Consider building a H pattern.
    Why ? One entrance gives you a big stowage which you have only one way in and out . There is always going to be wood locked in the back if you fill it up .
    A H patern give you 2 shallow stowages which are more excessable and manageable.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Thanks for the responses and support!
    And to my next questions:-D

I see a lot of stands made out of red clay bricks, do these go all thru or are they put on after on the outside face to cover ugly breeze blocks?

Is it ok to use a flat lintel to support the bblocks on front (on top of arch) or does it have to be angle (avoiding grinding blocks to fit the lip of the angle iron.)

Cheers,
    H
    Ps, will try and get some pics up too
    When you go to a place to buy the blocks (not bunnies) ask for some bond beams you dont need a lintel at all with bond beams, do a google for them to see how they work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X