Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les
    replied
    Re: About to start and confused already!

Q1: The decorative brick is put on after, you could also stucco, stone, etc...
    Q2: Not sure where you are planning to use the metal but flat steel and heat usually creates something that is hot and not flat. The angle iron has a lot more strength

Leave a comment:

• hlcr
    replied

Thanks for the responses and support!
    And to my next questions:-D

I see a lot of stands made out of red clay bricks, do these go all thru or are they put on after on the outside face to cover ugly breeze blocks?

Is it ok to use a flat lintel to support the bblocks on front (on top of arch) or does it have to be angle (avoiding grinding blocks to fit the lip of the angle iron.)

Cheers,
    H
    Ps, will try and get some pics up too

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

You are in the right place to be confused and ask questions!!! I remember being about to start and thinking holy $%*& there is no way I can do this!

It is a lot clearer now! (no pun intended!)

Keep the questions coming!

One suggestion - please post pictures - they help a lot and will help you get better answers. Show us the place where you will build your base!

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

You are in the right place to be confused and ask questions!!! I remember being about to start and thinking holy $%*& there is not way I can do this!

It is a lot clearer now! (no pun intended!)

Keep the questions coming!

One suggestion - please post pictures - they help a lot and will help you get better answers. Show us the place where you will build your base!

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi hlcr
    Welcome aboard great to have another Melbourneite, on board.

Ditto to les and Brickie said.

I used both a template and IT. First for shape second for circumference. Reason I didn't build, a hemispheric done. Mine is a little flatter.

What you do depend s on how fussy you are, budget timeframe.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by hlcr View Post
    thanks for the response! Do you recommend I mortar all the blocks if I cannot sink the rebars into the slab? (I have already done the slab a while ago)...and do i then still need rebars?
    We like confused people.......

Get some 12mm y bar and a 12mm masonry bit lay out your blockwork dry so you know the core spacings then drill some holes in the slab, hammer the y bar in, its not going anywhere.

The starter bars need only be 500mm long, finish off the base and poke in some more y bar when you have filled the cores with concrete.

Bunnings sell the blocks but you need to take your first born as a down payment.
    Abri Masonry sell blocks, dont get versalocks.

There is no need for mortar as long as the slab is levelish.

Leave a comment:

• hlcr
    replied

thanks for the response! Do you recommend I mortar all the blocks if I cannot sink the rebars into the slab? (I have already done the slab a while ago)...and do i then still need rebars?
    Hope you get soem r&r!

cheers,
    h

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

H?,
    Q1: If your slab if level you can just dry stack the block. I suggest you use rebar (set into the slab) and fill every other core with concrete. If your slab is not level use mortar on the first course to get it level. Depending on your plans you may want to separate the block 3/8 inch to compensate the missing mortar joint. I did NOT see this coming when I used the decorative brick for the finish - I had to make a lot of needless cuts.

Q2: Did not use the tool - I used a half vane, pretty simple and it obviously worked. Both approaches have merits.

Q3: You need a chimney. When the gasses leave the chamber they will escape through the vent. The chimney helps with the draw.

If any of this is vague I apologize - it's been a long day for me...

Leave a comment:

• hlcr
    started a topic About to start and confused already!

About to start and confused already!

Hi all,

I have read (and reread) the FB pdf - a couple of things that I found I didnt understand...apologies if these sound really daft

1) when building hearth - it says 'recommend dry stacking your blocks' - what does this mean? do I mortar the first course and then just stack the others on with no mortar? do i need to mortar them at some point after dry stacking?

2) To form or to indispensible tool?

3) The optional arch with vent - if I have one of these do i still need a chimney?

appreciate any feedback,
    h
Working...
X