• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thebigt
    replied
    Re: oven stand size

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    If it were me, I would not sandwich the plywood. I know it sounds more dificult, but I would form around the existing slab. It will take more 2X material but less plywood. If it is formed with enough support, 1/2" plwood is ok. It can be formed totally with 2X material. I have done that on several projects where I was going to reuse 2X lumber on another form or a later project. Most times I would form it to where I made as few cuts as possible.

[ATTACH]41800[/ATTACH]

I couldn't find an example on the web, but maybe you can figure out what I was trying to draw in powerpoint as an example. Though not to scale, I am trying to show a form around something like your stand using 8' 2X4's with no cuts. The support kickers will have to be cut though. Using deck screws speeds up the assembly and disassembly of the form boards for later reuse.
    No plywood sandwiched between it is. When you suggest that I box around my existing slab I'm assuming that it is support for the plywood is that correct? For the boards that touch my existing slab would those be anchored into the existing slab to hold them up or would you brace with boards going down to the ground? As you can tell concrete is not my specialty

Leave a comment:

• thebigt
    replied

I plum looked over the insulation the first time I looked at the link for the arch brick.
    Skamol Super 1100E & Super Isol insulating boards
    You might want to call them for a price. That is Calcium Silicate boards .
    Last year when I thought I would get to my oven(ended up welding myself up a big smoker) I ended up buying a case of five 1x3 foot 2" thick boards of Insblok 19 so if I'm careful with my planning I can make those work for my oven. If I need more I will give them a call.

The good news is that I didn't build the oven as I would have ended up using my brickwoodovens.com foam form and would have a barrel style.

On a side note building my own smoker gave me the confidence to try my hand at a Pompeii oven as I built that with zero prior welding experience... So now I think I can be a mason lol

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
    When I put a slab over my existing hearth slab can I use 1" plywood between the 2 layers and then just cut out the wood where it cantalievers. This would leave the majority of the plywood between both layers. Just trying to figure out how to get that slab poured while supporting the edges that hang over
    Build a box around the existing slab and support it with 2x4 legs. Plywood between the layers is going to bring you a multitude of problems...don't do that.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I plum looked over the insulation the first time I looked at the link for the arch brick.
    Skamol Super 1100E & Super Isol insulating boards
    You might want to call them for a price. That is Calcium Silicate boards .

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

If it were me, I would not sandwich the plywood. I know it sounds more dificult, but I would form around the existing slab. It will take more 2X material but less plywood. If it is formed with enough support, 1/2" plwood is ok. It can be formed totally with 2X material. I have done that on several projects where I was going to reuse 2X lumber on another form or a later project. Most times I would form it to where I made as few cuts as possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FormCanada.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	303731

I couldn't find an example on the web, but maybe you can figure out what I was trying to draw in powerpoint as an example. Though not to scale, I am trying to show a form around something like your stand using 8' 2X4's with no cuts. The support kickers will have to be cut though. Using deck screws speeds up the assembly and disassembly of the form boards for later reuse.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

tbt,

Unless there is significant cost saving, super duty are very hard on diamond blades and you will eat up the cost saving with blade cost. I went through a good dozen blades, although they were cheap quality blades. Plus those arch brick are tapered in the wrong direction for your dome. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• thebigt
    replied

When I put a slab over my existing hearth slab can I use 1" plywood between the 2 layers and then just cut out the wood where it cantalievers. This would leave the majority of the plywood between both layers. Just trying to figure out how to get that slab poured while supporting the edges that hang over

Leave a comment:

• thebigt
    replied

Thanks I won't even consider it then... I have no masonry experience so I don't need to make this any harder to do. I'd rather pay a bit of a premium and make it easier on myself!

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

The "super duty" firebrick will be hard to cut ............. Ask, Russell............. . And, it would be best to complete the dome out of all the same density brick.

Leave a comment:

• thebigt
    replied

The 500 brick minimum is from a construction supply company. I'm going g to get a quote from them and see if they have a spec sheet. Regarding the arch bricks the ad said firebrick Firebricks/Refractory Material for sale - LAKE LENORE SK - General Equipment| Free Buy and Sell Local Classifieds | CanSellAll.com

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

................. but they only have #1 and #2 arch bricks no straights. I also found another place that I was going to get a quote from but they have a 500 brick minimum.
    In both cases, are you sure that they are quoting firebrick? A 500 brick minimum sounds like face brick or pavers.

Leave a comment:

• thebigt
    replied

I did find a place a 2 hour drive away where I could get them for 2 bucks each but they only have #1 and #2 arch bricks no straights. I also found another place that I was going to get a quote from but they have a 500 brick minimum.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Thanks for the compliment,
    I just noticed that we left you hanging with a couple of conserns.

I got updated brick pricing and its 2.63 per brick. One thing that they mentioned was that they were only good for up to 1800F...im assuming that is ok? If not ill have to find another source for brick.

The firebrick will be just fine.....Unless you can find some cheaper .

For cutting the brick I have a table saw style 7" wet saw with diamond blades, I know most people use the HF 10" saw but a similar saw in Canada is much more expensive and not sure I will have the budget to buy a new saw this year. Does anyone have experience with the same type of saw that I have? Will I be able to taper bricks with this or be stuck just doing half bricks?

I used my 7" wet tile saw to cut a few brick. I had to turn each brick over to finish the cut on the other side. That was through the narrow 2" thickness. For a 4" cut, (like tapering an arch brick) you will be more or less marking a relief cut in the brick. You will have to finish the cut with a brick set. Even a 10" saw does'nt completely cut through the 4" depth.

I have started leaning towards a 32" with some sort of small enclosure. Id love a 36 with a bigger enclosure but im worried that with my base being only 50x50 that it may end up looking like a fat guy with tiny legs lol.

If you are wanting a 36" oven, you may not be satisfied with "settling" for a 32". I'm more of a very rough sketch artist with a little drafting experience. But, there are many on this site who downloaded free software to get an idea of what their ovens would look like to scale. You might be able to take care of that "look" you described with some matching prep tables on the side

Leave a comment:

• thebigt
    replied

You mentioned facing the liner with the used brick. I had a wet saw, so cutting the face brick was no problem. I cut my brick leaving a 2" face. This left about a 2" gap betwen the liner and the face brick which was filled with 10 to 1 vecrete.
    [ATTACH]41598[/ATTACH][ATTACH]41597[/ATTACH]
    The ss pipe shown at the top is just where I inserted a transition piece should I have wanted to extend the chimney with a section of double wall pipe. The face brick on my chimney are 3 brick X 3 brick (24"X24"). The 8" OD flu liner that you have would only require 2 brick X 2 brick (16"X16") if done this way. That is, if you decide to use them.

If my oven is even a 10th as nice as yours ill be happy!

Leave a comment:

• thebigt
    replied

I got updated brick pricing and its 2.63 per brick. One thing that they mentioned was that they were only good for up to 1800F...im assuming that is ok? If not ill have to find another source for brick.

For cutting the brick I have a table saw style 7" wet saw with diamond blades, I know most people use the HF 10" saw but a similar saw in Canada is much more expensive and not sure I will have the budget to buy a new saw this year. Does anyone have experience with the same type of saw that I have? Will I be able to taper bricks with this or be stuck just doing half bricks?

I have started leaning towards a 32" with some sort of small enclosure. Id love a 36 with a bigger enclosure but im worried that with my base being only 50x50 that it may end up looking like a fat guy with tiny legs lol.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X