X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wotavidone
    replied
    Re: oven stand size

I don't like that Spanish bloke, Manwell Labor, either.
    My axe definitely has a black snake for a handle.
    I have a system now. I only pick up thin stuff, 2 inches or less, that I can break across the tow bar of the ute into lengths just short enough to lay in the tray.
    (The beauty of dead eucalyptus is that it is very brittle and you can snap it fairly easily.)
    When I get home, I set up the drop saw with a tungsten tipped blade, cut the sticks into length as I drag them out of the ute. I have the wheel barrow set up so the cut lengths fall into it as I go. Very efficient.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

I built a 36" Pompeii and it does all that I need and has room to spare. The bigger they are the more wood you will need and the longer it takes to get them hot. I can get enough heat for a couple of pizza in a bit over an hour.

For those of us whose axe has a black snake for a handle that is an important consideration.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I think that there are several ovens on this site that have built 42" ovens with just one box (six pieces of 1' x 3') of CalSil. You don't need the CalSil under the flu entry. But, I think there will still be enough from the cuts to include that area.

I just want to add to what has already been advised to deciding oven size. That is fuel (wood) availability. One reason that I built a large oven is because I have plenty of wood resources. I don't know much about your area. From the single pic that I have of your oven stand, I don't see much. From what I have read about your great country, ya'll have a lot .

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    bigt

I did EXACTLY what you did. Started to build a Brickwood oven - I built the base and then I discovered this forum so I had to do some serious replanning.

I ended up building a 32 inch Pompeii which I am very happy with.

I'm going to take a contrary view on size... I have had a very large pizza party and made 50 pizzas in my oven and nobody was bored! (they only take 2-3 minutes each). I can fit a 25 pound turkey in my oven and I can also fit about 3 large pots in it (probably more - haven't tried). If I am making pizzas for only my wife and I, I can heat the oven sufficiently in a little over an hour.

I'm sure there are some good reasons to have a larger oven but I am not sure what they are! Of course I have never owned a larger oven so it could be that I don't know what I am missing!

My build is here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html
    Good luck!
    Neil
    A 32 is good. My experience so far makes me think I wouldn't build anything under 30 inches, and 36 would be "roomy".
    Of course, over here people expect a "Fat Aussie" pizza, which requires a cooler floor and a longer cook to ensure that the more heavily loaded toppings are cooked before the crust burns, so a bigger oven is helpful..
    Last edited by wotavidone; 02-25-2014, 07:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

bigt

I did EXACTLY what you did. Started to build a Brickwood oven - I built the base and then I discovered this forum so I had to do some serious replanning.

I ended up building a 32 inch Pompeii which I am very happy with.

I'm going to take a contrary view on size... I have had a very large pizza party and made 50 pizzas in my oven and nobody was bored! (they only take 2-3 minutes each). I can fit a 25 pound turkey in my oven and I can also fit about 3 large pots in it (probably more - haven't tried). If I am making pizzas for only my wife and I, I can heat the oven sufficiently in a little over an hour.

I'm sure there are some good reasons to have a larger oven but I am not sure what they are! Of course I have never owned a larger oven so it could be that I don't know what I am missing!

My build is here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html
    Good luck!
    Neil

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

But, insulating under the oven is the most important. You could even go a little bigger
    Wise words. Go as big as you can, you won't regret it.

You should be able to obtain vermiculite or perlite, which will make an effective insulator base for your calsil boards. This is what I did, and the next morning, I cannot feel any heat under my support slab from a 900F oven the night before.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    The big T,

Look at doing a vcrete or pcrete under you oven to supplement the ca si, very inexpensive although not a thermally effective. A little creative configuration of the Ca Si will get you close. Save the vent flue for last and concentrate under the floor first.
    Great advice!

You have plenty of calsil for a 36" oven, and the flu entry too. But, insulating under the oven is the most important. You could even go a little bigger .

An enclosure will protect the oven. An enclosure with a projected roof will protect you and the oven. A "roof over" will protect the oven, you, and the perfect shape of a pompeii .

Now, is the time to decide what size of oven, and the style that you want to build.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

The big T,

Look at doing a vcrete or pcrete under your oven to supplement the ca si, very inexpensive although not as thermally effective. A little creative configuration of the Ca Si will get you close. Save the vent flue for last and concentrate under the floor first.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 02-24-2014, 07:05 PM. Reason: can't spell

Leave a comment:

• thebigt
    replied

As for who am I cooking for it will mostly be my family and extended family so mostly 4-8 people but I'm sure in occasion I will cook for more. I will mostly do pizza but I want to be able to use the retained heat for cooking a few loaves of bread or some meat the next day.

Leave a comment:

• thebigt
    replied

Thanks for the responses... I think it sounds like I will need a larger slab so I can build one to accommodate a small enclosure. Regarding being able to build the 36" oven I currently have only five 1'*3' pieces of insulating board, which gives me 15sq ft of hearth insulation and the oven spec calls for three 2'x3'pieces totaling 18sq ft. I can't source a single board and shipping is really expensive here, is there something that I can do to make what I have for hearth insulation work?

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
    Will I be disappointed that I didn't build a bigger oven?
    Probably.
    I built a 750mm/29.5 inch oven with 70mm/2.5 inch thick walls. Works fine, I've cooked lots of meals in it, and it doesn't take long to heat - well and truly white hot in under an hour.

Then I built an 850mm/33.5 inch oven with 4 inch thick walls for my mate.
    Seriously, it was just as easy to build, and we insulated that one a lot better than mine (it's enclosed in a "blockhouse" made of 6 inch thick Hebel - autoclaved aerated concrete). End result, it doesn't take that much longer to heat than mine, despite the much higher thermal mass and 4 inches bigger diameter. And it is a whole lot roomier than mine, many comments from both of us as to how much difference that little bit more diameter makes.

Small ovens work fine, but if you find yourself short of room there is nothing you can do about it once it is built.

It's a bit like owning a 16 foot cuddy cab boat versus a 12 foot dinghy. My 16 footer can go nearly as many places in the shallows as a 12 foot tinny. So I can chase silver whiting, by myself if my fishing partner can't come, in the shallows reasonably well.
    But there is no way I'd venture out to my favourite snapper drop in a 12 foot tinny.
    A really big boat would be a pain for me to handle. Wouldn't be able to justify it.

Ovens is similar. You wouldn't build an 80 incher unless you were opening a restaurant. But a 36 incher is no harder to build and operate than a 30 incher, so why wouldn't you?
    Especially since, about all you have to do is build a form on top of those columns and cast whatever size slab you want.
    Last edited by wotavidone; 02-24-2014, 04:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

The mere fact that you asked means the answer is yes.

Before you move forward, consider the occasion (no. of mouths) and frequency of the use of your oven. If you will be doing any kind of roasting, slow-cooking, bread, etc in addition to pizza, a landing will prove essential.

Like me, if you live in a place with wind, you will want to accommodate a deeper vent. Since it snows, consider a small enclosure.

You are wise to switch to a real design and abandon your Brickwood Ovens idea. Those oven plans are saturated with fatal design flaws and are, frankly, a joke.

Keep us posted on your ideas and remember there is no such thing as a dumb question.

John

Leave a comment:

• thebigt
    replied

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
    The centre of a 32 inch dome needs to be 16inches of radius, plus 4 inches of brick thickness + 2 inches of ceramic inculation + 1 inch of render from the back edge of the slab, i.e. 23 inches from the rear edge, leaving 29 inches for the front half of the oven.
    Given that the inner arch slices a bit off the front of the circle, and you are happy to do without any sort of landing, I reckon you just have enough room for an entry arch on a 52 inch slab.
    This is probably a dumb question but I'll ask anyways. This would give me 6" for the entry arch as well as the vent? Would my sides be ok as well given that it is only 50" wide?

Leave a comment:

• thebigt
    replied

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
    The centre of a 32 inch dome needs to be 16inches of radius, plus 4 inches of brick thickness + 2 inches of ceramic inculation + 1 inch of render from the back edge of the slab, i.e. 23 inches from the rear edge, leaving 29 inches for the front half of the oven.
    Given that the inner arch slices a bit off the front of the circle, and you are happy to do without any sort of landing, I reckon you just have enough room for an entry arch on a 52 inch slab.
    I guess I shouldn't dismiss a landing without getting the opionions of those who have them. Yes I do have a table nearby but would a landing be more practical?

Im Ok with having to pour a little more concrete if it means getting the oven right, as I don't think my wife will let me have another crack at it.

Leave a comment:

• thebigt
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Very nice pillars! Did you form them?

If the added heighth was not a problem I would form and pour a cantilever on top of the existing hearth slab. I would put a good moisture barrier between the two slabs. If I were building another igloo, I would make the form rounded (at least in the back) and to the exact size of the finished oven. That is one thing that I would do different from the one that I built. Great looking start .

EDIT: The moisture barrier between the two slabs may not be necessary. But, I feel that placing one between the finshed slab and the floor insulation, is. Also, You mentioned in your op that you wanted "at least 2" of ceramic fiber". Buy that, I take it that you would want more if you had the room.
    I didn't form the pillars myself, got them at an auction for about 17 bucks a piece. Added hight is no issue.

As for insulation I live up in Canada so our climate kids cold in winter. Other sure if I'd fire it up in the Winter or not but I'd rather have the option.
    Last edited by thebigt; 02-24-2014, 05:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X