• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wotavidone
    replied
    Re: oven stand size

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    If I understand your description of the oven stand. It sounds like you have a hearth slab cantilevered over the cement pillars. I think you are ok, width wise, for a 32" pompeii. The problem is that, depth wise, you will not have enough room for a flu entry. That's just my opinion.

You could cantilever another hearth slab over the existing one to get what ever size oven you really want. That would increase the finished floor heigth, though. If you stay with a 32", You could posibly just cantilever an extension to the front for the flu entry.

Are you building an enclosure or an Igloo?
    The centre of a 32 inch dome needs to be 16inches of radius, plus 4 inches of brick thickness + 2 inches of ceramic inculation + 1 inch of render from the back edge of the slab, i.e. 23 inches from the rear edge, leaving 29 inches for the front half of the oven.
    Given that the inner arch slices a bit off the front of the circle, and you are happy to do without any sort of landing, I reckon you just have enough room for an entry arch on a 52 inch slab.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
    Thanks for the response.... With the barrel style I was going to build I wasn't going to do any enclosure, wasn't sure with with the Pompeii as I just started looking at it but likely no enclosure.

Yes the top hearth slab is cantilevered on the pillars. They are easily removeable as I poured them in forms and lifted the 2 pieces up with my tractor. Would I be better to just make new a new hearth slab?
    Originally posted by thebigt View Post
    Here's a picture of my base with the pillars but no hearth slab

Very nice pillars! Did you form them?

If the added heighth was not a problem I would form and pour a cantilever on top of the existing hearth slab. I would put a good moisture barrier between the two slabs. If I were building another igloo, I would make the form rounded (at least in the back) and to the exact size of the finished oven. That is one thing that I would do different from the one that I built. Great looking start .

EDIT: The moisture barrier between the two slabs may not be necessary. But, I feel that placing one between the finshed slab and the floor insulation, is. Also, You mentioned in your op that you wanted "at least 2" of ceramic fiber". Buy that, I take it that you would want more if you had the room.
    Last edited by Gulf; 02-23-2014, 04:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• thebigt
    replied

Here's a picture of my base with the pillars but no hearth slab Brick Oven Base Photo by tgelsinger | Photobucket

Leave a comment:

• thebigt
    replied

Thanks for the response.... With the barrel style I was going to build I wasn't going to do any enclosure, wasn't sure with with the Pompeii as I just started looking at it but likely no enclosure.

Yes the top hearth slab is cantilevered on the pillars. They are easily removeable as I poured them in forms and lifted the 2 pieces up with my tractor. Would I be better to just make new a new hearth slab?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

If I understand your description of the oven stand. It sounds like you have a hearth slab cantilevered over the cement pillars. I think you are ok, width wise, for a 32" pompeii. The problem is that, depth wise, you will not have enough room for a flu entry. That's just my opinion.

You could cantilever another hearth slab over the existing one to get what ever size oven you really want. That would increase the finished floor heigth, though. If you stay with a 32", You could posibly just cantilever an extension to the front for the flu entry.

Are you building an enclosure or an Igloo?

Leave a comment:

• thebigt
    started a topic oven stand size

oven stand size

I originally bought a foam form from brickwoodovens.com and didnt get a chance to build the oven and now im considering a Pompeii oven build. Heres my challenge, while I didnt build the oven I did build the base and oven stand. The oven stand is 52" deep and 50" wide. The base is 6 inches thing and is 4' ?4' and the stand is held up by 6 large cement pillars. Given these dimensions am I able to build either tbe 36" or 42" pompeii ovens? I dont need a landing as I have a table right next to my oven but id like at least 2" of ceramic fibre Insulation
Working...
X