Need help choosing the right bricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help choosing the right bricks

Hi all, not sure if anyone here can help me but here goes. Years ago my dad helped clean out a Harbison Walker Refractory that was shutting down. I have several stacks of different refractory/fire bricks of different shapes/sizes/materials that I would like to use in building an outdoor pizza oven and a brick smoker/grill. These bricks have not been used; just sitting in a shed for 20 years. I have been reading on what types of brick to use and not use in a pizza oven, and I'm not sure If I can use the ones I have or not. I sent an email with some pics recently to a guy at Harbison Walker (ANH Refractories) He told me one of them was a Nitride Bonded Silicon Carbide brick used in molten aluminum kilns. These bricks are 45-50 lbs each and are about 14" x 5" x 5". There is also another regular sized brick, that he said was used in molten glass applications. There was a few that he wasnt sure about, and hopefully he can shed some light on them soon, as he was going to research it for me, but the other ones are a very porous and light weight brick. I initially wanted to use the heavy duty ones for the floor of a pizza oven, but I read that you didnt need to use an extremely heavy duty brick for that as they wont absorb the heat (which is what is needed in a brick oven). How do I find out if these bricks will be suitable for this or not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Working...
X