Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduction arch

Hello,

I'm new here and I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the design of my reduction arch, or point me to a good resource concerning reduction arches.

The main bonded arch vault is 49" wide, has a 3.5" rise in the arc and is 16" from the center of the hearth. The reduction arch I have planned is the same arc, but another 3.5" lower, making it 12.5" from the hearth at the center. In front of the reduction arch will be a cast lintel with a height the same as my door of 10". Between the reduction arch and lintel will be a cut out for the exhaust up to the chimney, so that no gases should come out of the door itself like with my previous Scott oven.

This is an open hearth oven, meaning it doesn't have the bottle neck throat design like the Scott oven.

I'm wondering if my reduction arch is low enough and if anyone knows more about he relationship between the height of the main vault, the reduction arch and the door. I can drop the height of the reduction arch by decreasing the rise, but I cannot lower the starting wedge bricks, not without some major surgery now that the cladding has been poured.

I hope that makes sense. I'll include pics to illustrate. I just wanted to make sure before I finish it and have smoke coming out the front door in addition to the chimney.

Thanks in advance.

Nate
Working...
X