Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on a Recipe

Hi All,
    I've had my homemade WFO working for about 4 months. Many thanks to Todd "Boylanta" for making this project successful. My neighbors and I have fired it up roughly once a week since September and are experimenting with dough recipes which I think is the key to a great pizza. Below is our recipe as it stands now, but I'm very open to see what all think about where we could improve it if possible. The pizzas are so fantastic as they are, but I'd love some more input to see if we are missing anything. Here you go:

Pizza Dough Recipe (Mix 1 or 2 days before if you can, but it works in 2 hours if you are in a hurry)
    This recipe is a mix between the authentic one from Forno Bravo and the one from the video link below. The difference is in the sugars and the olive oil. The white sugar gets the yeast moving for me and the brown sugar gives the crust a nice slight crunch on the outside and bottom. Don?t put more brown sugar in with a wood fired oven as it will burn, but if you are cooking indoors, you can double the brown sugar to maybe 2 Tbsp. The olive oil is for color on the dough and a little flavor. The key on the flour below is to find double zero flour from Italy. I think USA double zero would work too, but I haven?t found where to buy it yet. The pizza guy in Salt Lake said he likes half Italian and half USA double zero so he can make larger pizzas. If you can?t find 00, regular all purpose flour also works just fine. The 00 is just really fine and nice to work with. It might taste a bit better too I think. Note anything in English units I?m especially experimenting with. I don?t really weigh those yet?just chuck them in and I think adding more olive oil might help too.
    ? 500gr Molino Caputo Tipo 00 flour
    ? 325gr water (65% hydration)
    ? 10gr salt
    ? 3 to 5 grams active dry yeast (I like it bubbly with a little extra)
    ? 1 Tbs Olive Oil
    ? 1 Tbs Brown Sugar
    ? 1 Tbs White Sugar
    Makes about 3 medium pizzas
    1. Put 150 ml (132 grams) of warm water (115 deg F) into a roughly 500 ml measuring cup so there?s room for the yeast to burp and expand. Add the yeast and white sugar (note 1 Tbs white sugar works even if you double this recipe)? stir with fork. Let this sit while you mix the other ingredients.
    2. In a bowl, mix flour, salt, brown sugar and mix well while it?s dry. Add the rest of the water so 325 grams less 132 grams (193 grams). If you double the recipe remember you still only subtract 132 grams of water from 650 grams. Add the Olive oil and mix. I use the Kitchen Aid hook and go 1 minute slow and some minutes maybe 5 or 7 on speed 2 to 4 then slow again for 1 minute. I?m not sure about this part, but the consistency you are looking for is when the dough balls up on the hook just after it tries to crawl out of the bowl. Note if it?s not trying to crawl out of the bowl or ball up on the hook, I?ve had luck adding a little flour or speeding it up to 3 or 4?maybe even add more olive oil or water too. According to Alton Brown, pizza dough should not be elastic. But the guy in Salt Lake I think liked it a little stretchy so he could make large pizzas to order. When we make pizza at home, we don?t really care what size it is as we just cut a chunk off and make the base. There?s a great video explaining one of the recipes and the consistency of the dough here I got ideas from:
    Pizza dough recipe ingredients; make pizza in wood fired ovens pictures. Work with pizza paddle, peel, pin.
    scroll down a bit on the link above and watch the video to see the consistency of the dough when it?s done. Below is the Forno Bravo method to make the dough in a hurry. From Forno Bravo website:

Luckily, pizza dough can be rushed -- without too much damage. In fact, you can synchronize your dough with firing your oven. Try to give both 90 minutes. If you really want pizza tonight, and it's late, you can do both in an hour.
    Here is how you should rise your dough, based on how much time you have:
    ? 2 hours: 90 minute in bread machine, shape pizza balls, 30 minute rest
    ? 90 minutes: 60 minutes in bread machine, shape pizza balls, 30 minute rest
    ? 75 minutes: 60 minutes in bread machine, shape pizza balls, 15 minute rest
    ? 60 minutes: 45 minutes in bread machine, shape pizza balls, 15 minutes rest.

3. Take the ball out on a floured board and flatten into a big rectangle. Fold it like a beach towel a couple times trapping the air inside by pinching the outsides after each fold. Use the weight of the dough to make a bigger rectangle by hanging it by one side.
    4. Let this rise for 1 to 2 hours until it doubles.
    5. Punch the dough, fold again to get the air in and let it rise another time maybe another 1 or 2 hours.
    6. Now it?s either ready to go or you can refrigerate until the next couple days, but I?ve used it as much as 7 days later and although it?s a little hard to work with, it tastes more like sourdough which is good too.
    7. When you make the pie, one tip I got from watching ?Pizza Cuz? on the cooking channel is to be gentle with the dough so you don?t take the air out?..so he didn?t use a roller?.just picked the dough up when he needed to and worked it out with his hands and used the weight of the dough to make it roundish.
    8. Never trust a round pizza!
Working...
X