Newbie to wood fire ovens (Melb)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to wood fire ovens (Melb)

Hi Guys/girls new to this site and the whole WFO way of cooking.
    First of all I would like to say great site and thanks to everyone for your contribution.
    I've been thinking about getting a WFO for a few years now but didn't really start thinking seriously about it till recently.
    I didn't want to spend the big bucks buying one and then not using it often and didn't think about building my own until recently.
    I started searching the net for plans, ideas and the material that will be required.
    What I have learnt is building one is something I could do (to a certain standard that is) but the materials needed are expensive.
    I'm going to go for a compact oven probably 32" if not a touch smaller. I will only be cooking one pizza at a time as we are a family of 3 and no real need to cook 2-3 at a time especially since each pizza can be cooked in 2 minutes.
    I will also try baking bread but small quantities and will make the opening big enough to accommodate casserole dishes etc so don't really see the need for a big oven. The other benefits I believe will be quicker heat up time and if well insulated should hold heat for what I require it to do.
    If anyone sees any negatives please set me straight I won't start the build for several months so things can change.
    AT the moment I'm in the process of slowly gathering the stuff required and as of yesterday I now have the fire blanket.
    I found most places sold it for around $130 and luckily for me a place around the corner had it for $75 so I scooped it up before the price changed.
    Firebricks are going to set me back $3-4 each so I'm thinking about an alternative.
    I've thought about common solid clay bricks but not sure if it'll hold the heat in long enough due to the small size of the oven. If anyone has used them feedback would be great.
    So for now I will keep looking at this forum for ideas, motivation and recipes.
Working...
X