spring back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring back

I'm having a heck of a time with my dough. Ive tried everything. i found some info on line stating that water is a big problem with spring back so ive tried bottled water at room temp.. still did not solve the issue. I watched several vids on youtube and it looks easy... the dough stretches and stays in place.

What am i doing wrong?? very frustrated

Tony, dough gets more elastic the more it is stretched, and loses elasticity the more it rests. Are you letting the dough rest enough before you stretch it? Sometimes if I am impatient and don't let the dough relax it is like making a pizza with a piece of rubber. The same thing will happen if the dough has rested overnight, but I stretch it and reform a ball before I start stretch it for the pie. If I let a dough ball set covered for hours then just flattened with my hands and do a quick stretch it will lay there with absolutely no spring back.
    I've been making pizza for years (decades actually) and it was not till recently I learned this trick. I often don't give the dough enough time to rest and have to fight to get a thin round pie, but they still taste good.
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Use 00 flour, far less rubbery.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

so here's my process....

i use the recipe on this site for pizza. 00 flour. i use my kitchen aid to mix the ingredients and make the dough. i add my yeast to the water (around 70 degrees) I use bottled water that has not been refrigerated. i add my dry yeast to the water and give a light stir. i mix my dry ingredients for a few seconds then add my yeast/water. once the dough ball starts to form i follow the directions on mixing..resting and kneading. i let the dough rest over night with plastic wrap covered. i set the dough on the dining room table over night.

i have read to punch it down and i have also read not to over work it and leave it after the first rise. I've tried both with the same result. I will say the last batch was horrible. once i did my final kneed i cut the dough into 7 dough balls as my daughter wanted to do small pizzas with her friends ( similar to the personal pan pizza lol)

the dough never rose like it has in the past when it hit the oven. it stayed thin and it was tough and just not good..

one thing i did notice is that when i took it out of the kitchen aid it wanted to flatten.. the dough is very delicate and tore very easily. it wouldn't stretch and when it did it would tear.

if i could just get a 8-9" circular pie that tasted good i would be thrilled..

i am going to do another test with all purpose today and punch it down and see what happens.... one thing i am not doing is forming the ball and letting it rest. i was under the impression that the dough would get a crust from the air if we didn't use it quickly. I don't like the heaviness of the all purpose flour at all but i figured it would be ok for a few test runs. once i get the recipe to stretch easily i'll try my 00 flour and see what happens. i have had my oven for several years and this dough issue has got me extremely pissed

Comment

i made 1/2 batch today. i set it aside as noon. doesn't look like it rose much.. i noticed that the dry yeast takes a bit longer to get going. Im leaving it on my dining room table until it starts to take off. the ball just flattened out a bit at this point.

Comment

Usually the issue with spring back is due to underproofing. Try doing a stretch & fold technique instead of kneading (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1timJlCT3PM) and then bulk proof overnight. Pull the dough out and make into balls about 4-5 hours before you want to make pizzas to let them come to room temp and rise. It should have had plenty of chance to form enough gluten to give the dough structure, but not so much time to have gotten over proofed and full of bubbles.
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

so it shouldn't be full of bubbles?

Comment

Originally posted by tony715 View Post
                so it shouldn't be full of bubbles?
                In my experience it shouldn't be full of really big air bubbles. When that happens, you lose all structure to the dough. Really hard to work at the other end of the spectrum. Gets too thin, tears, fingers poke through
                My build progress

Comment

it took over night to really rise.. i punched it down and created a dough ball.. floured lightly and put it back into the container. its doubled in size again. Im assuming i can now go ahead and make the pizza balls? once i do that let them rest 4-5 hours un-refrigerated before trying to stretch?

Comment

Yes. Did you bulk proof at room temp, or in the fridge? I notice I left that part out, but it sounds like you did it anyway - which is what I meant to say! It rises much slower in the fridge, but builds good flavor
                    My build progress

Comment

Working...
                    X