Burnt Pizza?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnt Pizza?

We have had 6-8 pizza parties since we kind of finished the pizza oven. Most of the time it works great, but lately I have burnt a couple of pizzas pretty good. We haven't had much good wood to get the oven really hot, but even when the oven only reads about 500 degrees, I can burn the pizza in about 30 - 60 seconds. I only have an aluminum peel, so I have to use a fair amount of flour and corn meal, but it starts smoking very quickly. Maybe my infra-red thermometer is off and when it reads 500 degrees it is really 900? Is there another recommended method of keeping the peel slick enough to load pizza's easily without all the flour and cornmeal?
    Thanks for any help

Maybe thermometer is set on C instead of F.

I had to buy a wooden peel in the end. I would probably just make my own one now if I didn't already have one.

Comment

I'd check to make sure your IR is working properly - maybe check it in the house oven? When my oven floor is in the low 600's and I use cornmeal I get a nice tortilla smell and it does not blacken fast. If I'm really hot, maybe 800+, the cornmeal burns fast and makes the pizza taste bad. I've been using rice flour on my aluminum peel lately (Thanks to Sablesprings and others) and it works well, but the family does not really like much char on the bottom, so I've been cooking a little cooler. We also tend to load them up, so a little lower temp allows the toppings to cook.
      My build thread
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Originally posted by thevance53@gmail.com View Post
        We have had 6-8 pizza parties since we kind of finished the pizza oven. Most of the time it works great, but lately I have burnt a couple of pizzas pretty good. We haven't had much good wood to get the oven really hot, but even when the oven only reads about 500 degrees, I can burn the pizza in about 30 - 60 seconds. I only have an aluminum peel, so I have to use a fair amount of flour and corn meal, but it starts smoking very quickly. Maybe my infra-red thermometer is off and when it reads 500 degrees it is really 900? Is there another recommended method of keeping the peel slick enough to load pizza's easily without all the flour and cornmeal?
        Thanks for any help
        I use pizza screens to construct and load the pizzas then slip on to the floor after the pizza firms a little. also if the floor is very hot sitting the pizza on a second screen moderates the heat and saves burning.
        testing the floor temp with semolina is a good standby until you get a feel for how your oven is cooking

Comment

There is no way that your crust is burning in 60 seconds in a 500 degree oven. At that temp, it's barely cooking. It should take 5 minutes or longer to cook a pie at that temp. So I would think either a) you're confusing C for F on your thermometer (seems unlikely - it's hard to unwittingly get an oven over 900F!) or b) your cornmeal is burning. I don't use it, makes a mess and leaves black stuff all over the oven floor. Flour or semolina are much better. Rice flour, ans JR suggests - doesn't burn.

But its pretty much impossible to burn the bottom of a pizza in 60 seconds in a 500F oven, IMHO.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Maybe he is burning the edges from putting it too close to the fire and not turning quickly enough. I agree the bottom of the pizza should not burn in 60 seconds at 500 F Flour test for the floor is a good one.
            The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Working...
            X