Sakrete High Heat Motar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sakrete High Heat Motar

I've asked this question in two other places on this forum with no response, so I thought I would ask here.

Has anyone tried Sakrete high heat mortar for the hearth and dome?
    It is in stock at my local Lowe's for $ 58.00 for 50 lbs.

Features:
    • For applications up to 2550° F (1399° C)
    • Air entrained for freeze-thaw resistance
    • Underlayment or wear surface
    • One hour working time
    • Non water soluble
    • Great workability and high strength
    After all the looking for fire clay for home brew mix, this could be a dream come true at just over half the price of heat stop and found just five miles away.

Jack

What are you thinking of using this product for, the mortar joints or casting. I am not sure what you mean by using this on the hearth, typically the fire bricks on the hearth or floor are free floating with no mortar. A casting of floors has had mix results. If you are talking mortar for the dome joints, as I mentioned before, home brew has been a good option for many builders.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Sorry UB,I should have said fire brick dome. Not hearth. I now have all of the components for home brew mix which is what I will probably use. 3111

In the meantime I contacted sakrete and they say their high heat mortar will work for this application. So maybe the sakrete will be a cheaper alternative to those who would just like to ad water and go to slapping then down.
      Last edited by JACK; 09-28-2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

You will be surprise how much mortar will be required. On the back side of the dome the joints you can see mortar thickness in the range of up to 3/4" thick even though the inside joints should be minimal. I am not sure on Sakrete, but recommended max. joint thickness is something like 1/2" on Heat Stop 50.
        Russell

Comment

What I found in using home brew is I "dry" mix a Homer bucket at 3.1.1.1 them mix small batches using a gallon bucket. Any mortar that starts to flash I rendered the outside of the existing laid courses so not to waste. It takes a little time to align and place the dome bricks properly, even with an IT, so you have to experiment with the amount of mortar you need to mix and how much you can lay before the mortar flashes, of course weather and temp, dryness of the brick play into the equation as well.
          Russell

Comment

Thanks UB for helping me see what I have in front of me. I'm waiting for my perlicrete to dry and that takes a while. In the mean time I''m cutting bricks and making my door arch form. The weather here in NC has been very hot up until I poured the perlicrete now it's wet and cooler. I wish I could go ahead and get started as the cool wet weather would be a good time to lay fire bricks. I drove 85 miles Monday to pick up fire clay which is almost impossible to find anymore because it doesn't meet code on inside fireplaces , so there's not very much need for it .

Thanks
            Jack

Comment

Working...
            X