Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert Pizzas continued

Hey Gang,

First off - I need to apologize for not having pictures - hungry teen agers at the party last night = ravenous wolves in a sheep's pen - you get the picture!

For the crust - I have determined a par bake to right around the light tan stage is good as the toppings will not cook properly. If you are wanting a sweeter crust, you will have trouble with caramelizing of the crust due to temps more on that later.

Our 1st desert course was a fruit spread (Costco Blood orange, cherry and berry blend) on light followed by dark chocolate shavings (about 4 squares run through a coarse cheese grater) evenly distributed and coconut. WARNING: The coconut will toast (BURN) quickly, so my recommendation is to cook the jam and chocolate for about 30 seconds, pull the pizza and add the coconut and bake for about 20 seconds until the coconut is toasted.

2nd pizza was a churro style. Par bake crust (about 1 minute). Liberally paint on 1 tablespoon + of butter (not margarine) on the whole crust including the bones. Lightly sprinkle cinnamon over the non-bone portion. Lightly sprinkle brown sugar over the non-bone portion (80% coverage), then lightly sprinkle granulated sugar over the whole pizza. Bake until bubbly. YOU MUST ALLOW TO COOL TO PREVENT SUGAR BURNS! Want to add a nice dimension: mix with the butter 1/4 tsp of basil olive oil - it is exquisite. Even the teenagers liked it. The sugars will caramelize nicely and will be crunchy depending upon how long your pizza is in the oven.

If you are planning on a sweet crust (sugar in the dough) you are better off using an oven at around 400 F because you will burn the crust in the brick oven and it may stick
    Regular crust works beautiful, especially if you are using James' recipe as the yeast content is low and the enzymes have done their trick with an overnight ferment.

Mileage may vary. Things in the mirror appear bigger than they are. Vid Vini EATTY (I came, I saw, I ate).
    Last edited by C5dad; 07-01-2011, 09:31 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO
Working...
X