Re: My first sourdough attempt
Looks a hell of a lot better than my first attempt.
Thoughts...
You got the starter from a bakery so you know you have a highly active, completely mature starter. It shows. Good oven spring.
I think you are somewhat over-proofed. As a result, you have a relatively tight, uniform crumb. Some strive for that...I like a slightly larger less uniform crumb.
You need a bit more steam for better color. Ideally...more bread in the oven to provide the steam....if not that, then ice cubes on lava rocks as the loaves go in. Don't need a lot. For a small oven...maybe five ice cubes on four or five lava rocks (or chucks of firebrick left over from your build) piled up in a pie tin.
But the bottom line is that the bread looks great. Nothing wrong with that. No mouse holes. Decent color. Bravo.
Bill
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
My first sourdough attempt
Collapse
X
-
Re: My first sourdough attempt
I do the same thing except i use hot water, it works great.Originally posted by TropicalCoasting View PostLooks very good
For steam I use an old pan full of pumice that I let heat up and add cold water to it as I put the loaves in.
I get crusty loaves.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: My first sourdough attempt
Any idea on how much water is enough? I used about a cup (8 oz) and it was all gone when I pulled the bread.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: My first sourdough attempt
Looks very good
For steam I use an old pan full of pumice that I let heat up and add cold water to it as I put the loaves in.
I get crusty loaves.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: My first sourdough attempt
Those look AMAZING! I have heard that steam is the trick; maybe your small pan of water wasn't making steam and you need to put water or ice directly on the hot floor? In the pictures, your crust looks great, though.
Leave a comment:
-
My first sourdough attempt
Here are pictures of my first sourdough attempt. Taste was GREAT, wish the crust was crustier. I got my starter from wholefoods. An extremely gracious baker just went in back and gave me some sourdough starter to try when I was inquiring about whether they sold cake yeast (which they don't). So I cooked the loaves at about 530 F and pulled them when it looked like they do in the pictures. Internal temp was 208 F. I put a very small tinfoil pan with water in the oven for the entire cook. Thoughts?4 PhotosTags: None





Leave a comment: