X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frances
    replied
    Re: First go at sourdough

My problem with the fridge is not enough room. If you're making 5 or 6 kilos of bread shaped in about 12 to 18 loaves and you already have the usual food for a ravenous family of five in there... well, you'd just need a far larger fridge than I have.

I'm also really gald to hear that you all don't like leaving the house while baking - I thought it was just me being weird.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Jay, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who just can't bring myself to leave the house while I'm baking. Yes, I could go to the store or something while it's rising, but what if something happened while I was gone?????

I saw somewhere that CJ says you can take the bread straight out of the fridge and put it in the oven, but I am not sure when the bread would go in the fridge if that's the case. My shaped loaves, when I have put them in the fridge, don't rise much there at all. What temp do you suppose the fridge should be for it to rise in there? Or do you put them in when they've already risen?

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

I am 100% with all of you. I do not like interruptions on bread day. And I don't even want to leave the house even though there are potentially hours at a time when one could. As Frances experienced...little things add up and the bread is not "right" (better than most anything regular folk routinely eat, but...not what you wanted).

IF, and I think most of us feel this way, baking bread is therapeutic the little perturbations create tensions and frustrations that more than destroy the therapeutic benefits.

For many of us bread is a passion that seeks repeatable perfection.

Today is NOT a baking day so I get to do errands... But this Friday WILL be reserved for baking!
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Salv B
    replied

Sorry to hear your bread didn't work out Frances - I had a similar experience during a pizza night where I burnt the bottoms of all eight loaves I put in!

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Cos the fridge is already full of dough balls for pizza...

Today everything that could go wrong did. Except for pizzas, they were great - well, appart for the thunder storm which started just when we were ready to eat... But the bread timing was completely off. First of outside temps suddenly soared to 23 C which made the bread dough rise like mad really fast. I ended up putting it all in the cellar since the fridge already had an elephant, sorry, pizza balls in it. Long story short, the first load of bread burnt to a cinder in 20 minutes...

At least we didn't have the problem of not enough bread to go round... funnily enough there just weren't any takers. And thats the last time I bake right after a pizza evening.

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

Frances,

I've been there, too: small interruption=wrecked schedule=crying need for therapy. Why not get involved in retarding the shaped loaves in the fridge, then taking them directly from there to the oven when the hearth temp is just right? Works and saves nerves.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Originally posted by Salv B View Post
    The other funny thing is that a lot of the guests hinted that they wanted to take some bread home and I didn't bake enough to go around.

That made me laugh... Its a nice complement to your bread though. We've got guests over pizza this evening, and guess what I intend to do right afterwards? Luckily I've got enough dough for them to have some, too. (note to self: make smallish loaves...)

Baking is a lot more fun if you can just get on with it without interruptions. Do other bakers here also find that even the tiniest errand you have to run on a bake day will put everything else out of sinc? Even if its just half an hour or so, its bound to be just at the time when you should be folding/shaping the dough, or when the fire needs seeing to, or when oven hits exactly the right temp.

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

Hi Salv!

Sounds like you are under control now. In the BREAD ZONE! And what a wonderful place to be!
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Salv B
    replied

Yes - I wont be baking bread any more when there are guests around! In the past I just didn't want to waste the heat. The other funny thing is that a lot of the guests hinted that they wanted to take some bread home and I didn't bake enough to go around.

The other day it was just me and the oven baking bread and it was great not to be rushed and have everything quite and calm. I baked some walnut and raisin boules - I gave the oven a good 2 hour plus firing, baked the bread at a little over 550 F and the bread came out great - no burning underneath.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I agree about bread not being an audience thing... I will fire the oven up JUST to do bread. Then I'll use the retained heat to do other things later. Or you can jack it up again and do pizza. Bread's too easy to mess up the timing when you have to think about all the other stuff. And when you have "is it time yet, is it time yet" going in the background....

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

Nothing like a hungry horde of scavengers to rush the oven preparation!!!

I NEVER do bread when there is a crowd around. Bread is just me and the oven. Pizza...now that's a different story. I try hard to have the oven just about ready when people are supposed to arrive. That way there is no standing around, drooling, and pilfering toppings! (WHACK!)

Jay

Leave a comment:

• Salv B
    replied

Hi Jay,

I think the main thing was the longer firing - which I will make sure I do each time I bake bread now. I also think I need to do my bread a little higher than 550 F - I will maybe go up to 560 next time. The bread had much more colour this time and much more crunch. I also should have allowed more time for the oven temp to equalise but I had hungry people over waiting to eat - I forgot to mention that while the bread was baking I also had a tray of chicken drumsticks in at the same time!

Once again, thanks for your great advice.

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

Hi Salv!

Sounds to me like you mainly needed a bit more firing the first time - i.e. you put in at 550 but the oven wasn't fully loaded so the temp didn't get back up to the temp needed to give an optimal bake. These look pretty good to me. Sounds like a few more minutes of heat soak to even out the oven might be desirable (to let the floor even out a bit... and avoid the burned bottom) but other than that sounds like you are close!

What do you think?
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Salv B
    replied

Thanks Dutch and Jay for the additional comments - I had a go at some baking on the weekend with this advice in mind. In addition to doing four sourdough Boules I had a go at some Pan L'ancienne and I also threw in some leftover pizza dough as well! We fired up the oven for my sons third birthday party so it was a little bit rushed and I didn't get the temp even across the whole hearth. I cooked two boules in the hottest part of the oven (almost 570 F) and they were slightly burnt underneath but the colour came out great and so did the crust. The two other boules were just over 550 F and they came out ok as well and no burning underneath. The bolues were only about 10 percent wholwhweat this time. I gave the oven a good two and a half hour fire and I did a much longer spray this time as well. Heres a pic of the bake for the day

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3160B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	659.2 KB
ID:	274879

And heres a close up of the Boule cooked in the hottest part of the oven

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3163b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	640.6 KB
ID:	274880

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

Hi Salv!

Back from a short trip... Your plans sound good. Also...spray like Dutch suggests - back of the oven. And...the lower the loading of the oven the more water you need - but...remember water drops the temp and will probably extend your bake time slightly.

I look forward to the results from "Round 2"!
    Jay

Leave a comment:

Working...
X