Sourdough starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourdough starter

Does anyone have a nice sourdough starter that they are prepared to barter with? I am getting more serious about my bread, and I think I am ready for the commitment issues associated with keeping a good sourdough going. I think I can get through my past sourdough relationship issues. :-)

Let me know.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Sourdough starter

I would be glad to send you some of mine but it was so easy to make. I followed someone's thread on the forum using rye flour and wheat flour.....it took off in just a few days, especially because I fed it twice a day with a 50-50 mix of reg flour and water (by weight).

This weekend I made some rolls with it and added a bit of cooked potato.....very nice.

Comment

I have some starter from the Black Star Farms Winery that I have been baking with. I could send out a batch to you anytime... Jim

Comment

James,

I'd be glad to send you some of ours from Mary G's. Drake Remoray, Sarah and lots of other people are using it now. But, when making your own, which can be very simple to do, it's important to point out that it takes about six months for it to come to maturity, with all the lactobacilli and enzymes, and other good bugs present. It's also important to know that over time either a liquid levain or a stiff starter, no matter the origin, will be taken over by the dominant yeast strain in a particular location. This is not a bad thing.

There's a lot of voodoo out there about wild yeast starters. Ignore it.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I have four different starters if you are interested. San Fran, an australian, and 2 from italy. let me know which you are interested in....

Comment

CJim is a lot more knowledgeable than I am, but I still have to second his point about sourdough voodoo. I've abused mine terribly, and it always bounces back with a little care.

I understand the desire to have a starter that will create a particular bread, but it seems to me that we have somewhat limited control. As CJim pointed out, local yeast and bacteria strains will tend to dominate over time. The flour you feed it with also brings it's own variables.

Given all of this, is it worth "importing" a starter instead of making your own?

Comment

Hey all,

Thanks for the support on this. I have talked with Jim, and he has sent me his Mary G's starter, and I am very excited. I read somewhere that having a nice clean starter to start makes sense, as it gets you off on the right food.

Scary -- I am making a serious commitment here...

Thanks for your help Jim!
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hi Jim,

The starter arrived today, and I am off and running. I will let you know how it goes. Nice idea labeling the box Toffee/Candy.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I was just imagining if someone nicked the packet, and got their first mouthfull of the "toffee"
                  "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I would also like to start some sourdough baking and was wondering how people send out the starter through the mail? Does it travel well?

Would somebody be willing to send me some to France? I remember my time living in San Francisco and loved their sourdough. But any good sourdough starter would be appreciated.

Regards,

Kosta

Comment

I've had good success using starter from here: Carl Griffith Sourdough Page

Its sent dried, it seems to work great for the past 2 years and its free for only a SASE!! I like free!

Comment

Hi Kosta!

I would think you should have little problem finding some levain or biga in France. Surely a good bakery would give you a pinch if you asked nicely.

Good Luck!
                        Jay

Comment

Kosta,

Send me an email with your mailing address, and I'll send a couple ounces of Mary G's starter to you. You really only need about two ounces or so to begin building. Long as it's sent airmail it should be fine. Just feed it as soon as you get it. I'll send our feeding information sheet in the packet as well.

Jim

Comment

How would I send mine? It's kept in the refrigerator in a crock buried in flour - but it's a pretty tough guy, who, even after neglect comes right back to life with a little bit of nourishment. I would even send directions for the way I make my desem.
                            I've had mine going quite successfully for about 5 years.

I'd love to know what the stuff from Italy is like!!

Cecelia

Comment

Cecilia,

Feed your starter. When it's matured, take off about 4 ounces, place in ziploc bag, place bag in small tupperware container. Wrap and ship. It's that easy. The recipient should probably feed it as soon as it arrives, according to your formula. I've done it successfully many times, even for Kosta in France, and I'm in Ontario.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X